User Tag List

First 3456 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Martoon View Post
    Hey, we'd get along great! I have this annoying thing I do sometimes, where I can't quite think of the most appropriate word I need to end something, so I just kind of trail off, because I know that whoever I'm talking to knows what I mean. It'd be handy having you around.
    I DO THIS TOO. I hate it! I actually noticed you did this when we met, and it warmed the cockles of my heart. I AM NOT ALONE.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTP

Hey, we'd get along great! I have this annoying thing I do sometimes, where I can't quite think of the most appropriate word I need to end something, so I just kind of trail off, because I know that whoever I'm talking to knows what I mean. It'd be handy having you around.
    Totally; me, too.

I know what you mean, though. I don't cut people off or finish their sentences, but it is quite often painful when it's obvious what they're getting at, and I'm just going through the motions of letting them finish. If there is an opportune pause, I will interject an analogy or succinct explanation ("Oh, you mean like..."), just so they see that I know what they're getting at and it isn't necessary for them to continue.
    Okay, this might sound kind of mean, but I have a friend that stutters, and quite often he'll come to the end of a sentence and attempt the last word six or seven times before he gets it. So I know what he's trying to say. But he's determined to actually say it. I have no idea how to react to that, because with a non-stutterer, I'd have already interrupted them halfway into the word to respond, but I'm pretty sure he wants to just get it out. So I'm just kind of standing there nodding and staring until he's finally said the word.

I think the hardest one for me is when someone is asking me to do something or get something for them, which I don't in the slightest mind doing, but they preamble it with this really long explanation justifying why they're asking. "I just sat down, and I'm really tired, and I hurt my knee yesterday, so it's actually really hard for me to get up, so I hate to ask you this - I normally wouldn't - but if you don't mind - and tell me if you do - I mean, you don't have to, I can do it if I need to, so I probably shouldn't even ask..." And the entire time, I'm thinking, "Please, please tell me what it is you need, so I can go get it already." I know they're going to ask me to run upstairs and get something, and I'm ready and willing to do so, but they're refusing to tell me what it is they need. The reason it frustrates me is that we're both doing this little charade where we pretend the explanation is for my benefit, when waiting through the explanation takes 10 times the effort of grabbing whatever it is they need.
    I want to shoot those people.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Yes, I finish people's sentences. Sometimes because they talk too slow, but mostly when they find it hard to put something into words.

MBTI
    INtP

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Martoon
    I think the hardest one for me is when someone is asking me to do something or get something for them, which I don't in the slightest mind doing, but they preamble it with this really long explanation justifying why they're asking. "I just sat down, and I'm really tired, and I hurt my knee yesterday, so it's actually really hard for me to get up, so I hate to ask you this - I normally wouldn't - but if you don't mind - and tell me if you do - I mean, you don't have to, I can do it if I need to, so I probably shouldn't even ask..." And the entire time, I'm thinking, "Please, please tell me what it is you need, so I can go get it already." I know they're going to ask me to run upstairs and get something, and I'm ready and willing to do so, but they're refusing to tell me what it is they need. The reason it frustrates me is that we're both doing this little charade where we pretend the explanation is for my benefit, when waiting through the explanation takes 10 times the effort of grabbing whatever it is they need.
    I want to shoot those people.
    I see a fortuitous combination of habits coming into play!

Annoying excuse-making-favor-asker: "I know I shouldn't ask, but I'm not feeling so well, and I know you're really busy, but... like... maybe I was hoping you could..."

Tallulah, finishing the sentence: "Shoot you? Ok!"

I know that I have a habit of sentence-finishing, too. I tell myself that I only do it when someone's pausing, as if they can't think of the right word, or I'm trying to say "I get it" without saying it literally, but it wouldn't surprise me if I do it more often, sometimes annoyingly so . In my case I think it's conversational impatience - I'm interested in knowing what someone thinks, but once I think I know, I'm interested in knowing what they think *next*. With most people, I'm pretty good at guessing... but strangely enough, even when I'm wrong, it seldom deters me from trying again. I need to work on stopping that... maybe. This habit does have a good side, though - being in a conversation when you're both finishing each others' sentences can be quite fun and companionable.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    If someone catches you doing it, it helps if you can just kinda-like do the air guitar thing and pretend you're only head-bangin'. That looks kinda neat. . . I think?
    You know, I think I actually have turned it into head-banging before. But without the air guitar, so it was still pretty dumb .

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

The other day I was finishing my history teacher's sentences [mentally] with constant accuracy. It was spooky.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    LII?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I DO THIS TOO. I hate it! I actually noticed you did this when we met, and it warmed the cockles of my heart. I AM NOT ALONE.
    Me too!

MBTI
    IXXP
    Enneagram
    4w5

I often finish people's sentences incorrectly, but feel the need to finish anyway.

Ironically, I can trail off in a sentence and people feel the need to finish it for me.

MBTI
    Enfp
    Enneagram
    497 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEE Fi

Guilty as charged. I especially do it if I get excited about the topic, or I have somewhere to be/something to do and I cannot be waiting around for people to figure things out. When it's coz of enthusiasm, I make a conscious effort when I notice others are getting annoyed at it, to take a deep breath and relax a bit more, instead of anticipating everything. When I don't have the time, I appologize but cut to the chase, as it is necessary.

For instance, I have a friend who is...not the most eloquent of the bunch. Brilliant guy, just doesn't know how to word it. And the rest of the group tends to finish his sentences as well. I do too, but I try to do it with a smile. He knows that he's that way, and he's a sweetheart so he doesn't hold it against you. But sometimes you can see him sigh in frustration that he can never finish a sentence on his own. Then I'll make an effort to tell the rest to back down (they make good-natured fun of him coz of this), and 'clear the floor' sort of speak for him, give him space and time. And you'll see him smiling and gladly taking the opportunity to finally say what he wants to say. He also will gladly forgive me, if I take charge, finish his sentences, and rant to get things moving again, when really necessary, and I love him for that.

Especially with him, I try to do my best and not interject and give him my full attention without a time-limit, unless I notice he's really having trouble organizing his thoughts, as I know it makes him feel insecure when others finish his sentences for him. It costs me a lot of effort to do this type of tonguebiting though. I *should* really make more of an effort with others as well though

As for being wrong...this usually happens mostly with people I don't know that well, or when I'm so into the topic that I've lost track of their thoughts and am off on my own thoughts already. Being corrected is embarassing enough to immediately reconnect and listen again.
    ★ڿڰۣ✿ℒoѵℯ✿ڿڰۣ★

"Harm none, do as ye will”

MBTI
    ISFJ

I'm a bad listener. I get impatient when people talk for too long because I probably already figured out where it is that the conversations is going (Ne is about "the big picture" not details) and so, yes - I do have an urge to finish people sentences and I am, more often that not, right about what the person was going to say.