User Tag List

First 4567816 Last

MBTI
    ENFP

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzy View Post
    we were the first intruders to A LOTTA PLACES harhar
    I guess you guys stole it from us Ayrabs intruding in on your property.

Actually, the spanish Ayrab mix made some of the hottest people on earth. I am guessing it was a good thing.

Penelope Cruz

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American? Does how long ago your forefathers emigrated make a difference? Also, is it considered a PC or even important thing to talk about? I'd be curious to know.

Personally my heritage doesn't have much of an effect on me. A couple generations back and it might have. The religious denomination I was born into - Lutheranism - is about the only reminant of cultural heritage I've got left from the more recent immigrants from northwest and northeast Germany. I guess I feel some affinity for Germany - my grandpa is full-German from Minnesota and a Lutheran pastor, and so he's retained something. But I sometimes wish I had something more definitive to relate to, culturally.

My Dad is
    - 1/4 German (northeastern North Rhine-Westphalia) immigrated to Indiana in the 1850s.
    - Colonial-era immigrants from England, Scotland, Ireland, France (Huguenots) and other parts of Germany.
    - 1/64 Osage Indian - at least according to family history it's Osage. Somehow this Osage girl got from their territory to West Virginia in the 1780s, got adopted and married an Englishman. I've seen pictures and I don't doubt that there is some kind of American Indian ancestor there.

My Mom is
    - 1/2 Pomeranian German. Immigrated between 1850-1874 to Wisconsin from a part of Prussia on the Baltic sea that is now in Poland.
    - 3/32 of some other kinds of German
    - 1/16 Austrian from Vorarlberg
    - 1/32 Alsatian
    - Colonial-era immigrants from England, Scotland, France - all who ended up down in Texas, Louisiana, South Carolina, Mississippi and Tennessee.
    - 1/32 - 1/64 of either African-American, American Indian, or Melungeon

So I'm like 50% German, and the rest is primarily English, Scottish, American Indian, French Huguenot and mystery.

I said this in the other heritage thread and I'll say it again: excuse the length, it's hard for me to be brief as genealogy is a long-time hobby. If you ever need help with family research...my inbox is open!

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American? Does how long ago your forefathers emigrated make a difference? Also, is it considered a PC or even important thing to talk about? I'd be curious to know.
    To my grandparents, it has A LOT of meaning. Their parents sailed over here; they grew up in New York City neighborhoods made up mostly of just their nationality; there is a great deal of cultural pride there.

To my parents, it has meaning, like traditions and food recipes and an affinity for the home country.

To me, it's a point of interest, but nothing significant. I'm more interested in it to try to learn about my ancestors than anything else. So it seems that the time of immigration--the generation gap--does make a lot of difference.

I'm glad to be born and raised in the States, and that matters a lot more to me, I guess. When I was younger, that didn't matter much to me either.

It is a really interesting subject, since there are so many cultural backgrounds in the U.S.
    You can't spell "justice" without ISTJ.

MBTI
    enfp

there were many waves of "native americans" that came here, and found people already in america.

the filled up the bottom part of south america, and slowly filled it up all the way to alaska, over like 10's of thousands of years. and fought with each other, until there was a sort of balance.

a lot of historical invasions all over the world have been hidden in history as well. its a pretty sensitive subject when people find out.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Maybe they weren't "difficult," Lady Jaye. Maybe they just had their own preference of where they'd like to live! Hah.

I think a great deal of White guilt permeates my generation of Germans and Norwegians around these parts considering how poorly the "Sioux Uprising" was handled.
    Ahhh, I was saying it with a wink. Just joking around with Jack about how difficult Pink and I are, so it must be hereditary.

Quote Originally Posted by Modern Nomad View Post
    thats hella cool

ur tribe was the ones that didn't sell out! i read about them... cool cool stuff.
    Yeah, it was pretty intense. I suppose they decided to risk their lives rebelling with the prospect of freedom, than submit to being taken away and dying anyway. A scary choice.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The Spanish were the first intruders into Apache territory.
    This is fascinating - I only know a little about the Apache. I know they were very formidable and warlike, and short. lol So you're a blend of Native and Spanish then?

I don't think being descended from Conquistadors is admirable. History is what it is, but not something to always be proud of.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    I don't think being descended from Conquistadors is admirable. History is what it is, but not something to always be proud of.
    i dont mind.

but in that case,
    people shouldnt be proud of any race then...

if you want to think of it that way then i guess humanity in general is shit
    She talks pretty but says mean things

heart on fire

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    This is fascinating - I only know a little about the Apache. I know they were very formidable and warlike, and short. lol So you're a blend of Native and Spanish then?
    As far as I know its just a name for that sub-tribe, but mostly Native American. As for myself, I am German, English on father's side and French, Italian and Apache on mother's.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

i dont mind.

but in that case,
    people shouldnt be proud of any race then...

if you want to think of it that way then i guess humanity in general is shit
    I think it's great to accept your culture, your ancestry. But, there are certain national dynasties that did more damage than others. I'm descended from an English king who basically murdered the other side of my family. It's part of my history, but not something I can be overly proud of. I can see why others wouldn't look favorably on him.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    As far as I know its just a name for that sub-tribe, but mostly Native American. As for myself, I am German, English on father's side and French, Italian and Apache on mother's.
    That's the great thing about being an American - we can be a mixture of so many things.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    IEE

Take Europe, subtract Spain. You get Evan.

Because you can't spell "Slaughter" without "Laughter"

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by EvanTheClown View Post
    Take Europe, subtract Spain.
    Wouldn't be the first.