User Tag List

First 3456715 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American? Does how long ago your forefathers emigrated make a difference? Also, is it considered a PC or even important thing to talk about? I'd be curious to know.
    I was raised in a very small farming town in southern Minnesota which was nearly all Norwegian in ancestry, except for a couple of Swede who were grudgingly accepted!

Norwegian was still spoken on the streets when I was growing up and if I spend much time at home I start speaking English that sounds like I just got off the boat.

There was a great deal of pride in our heritage there and a lot of humor about "dumb Norwegians" as well.

I think that the fact that my people were immigrants had a great deal to do with the way I was raised. It was pretty insular. There was suspicion of anyone who was different and a certain amount of self-deprecation about.

I truly grieve the loss people are experiencing of familiarity of their cultural heritage due to politically correct pressure.

And I see northern Europeans being most reticent to express their cultural inclinations in the same way that many of our Hispanic neighbors are here. They take a great deal of joy in their culture and share it willingly with others.

It's almost as though we have developed a secret sense of shame about our background or a fear of trying to look superior if we emphasize it.

And I do recognize the implied irony in that statement. I just don't know how else to express it but just say it!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Well, I don't have personal knowledge of my lineage to the North, but I'm aware the tribe is from the area. Michigan et al. My ancestors were shipped off to Kansas to enjoy wheat, corn, and flatness.
    From what I understand, the Pottawatomies weren't crazy enough to live around the great lakes year round - they left that to the whiteys.

The Cherokee were also cleared out of North Carolina and Tennessee by a government mandate to Oklahoma ( The Trail Of Tears ), but there were a thousand men and women that rebelled and ran into the hills, living as outlaws. Those are what now constitutes the Eastern band of Cherokee, which is where my ancestor came from.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    there were a thousand men and women that rebelled and ran into the hills, living as outlaws. Those are what now constitutes the Eastern band of Cherokee, which is where my ancestor came from.
    Fitting.

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Fitting.
    That we descend from difficult people? lol

MBTI
    INFP

Maybe they weren't "difficult," Lady Jaye. Maybe they just had their own preference of where they'd like to live! Hah.

I think a great deal of White guilt permeates my generation of Germans and Norwegians around these parts considering how poorly the "Sioux Uprising" was handled.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    enfp

The Cherokee were also cleared out of North Carolina and Tennessee by a government mandate to Oklahoma ( The Trail Of Tears ), but there were a thousand men and women that rebelled and ran into the hills, living as outlaws. Those are what now constitutes the Eastern band of Cherokee, which is where my ancestor came from.
    thats hella cool

ur tribe was the ones that didn't sell out! i read about them... cool cool stuff.

heart on fire

So does the Mescalero part mean there's a Spanish element to the Native American?
    The Spanish were the first intruders into Apache territory.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    The Spanish were the first intruders into Apache territory.
    we were the first intruders to A LOTTA PLACES harhar
    She talks pretty but says mean things

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American? Does how long ago your forefathers emigrated make a difference? Also, is it considered a PC or even important thing to talk about? I'd be curious to know.
    I think it matters to us because we're such an immigrant country. Very few of us are native Americans, while that's not the case in much of the rest of the world. So it's a way to identify ourselves to other Americans. For instance, if another American asked "What nationality are you?" I would answer "Irish" without hesitation. But if I were abroad, "American" would be just as instinctive. I think both the country you live in and the country of your heritage play a role in who you are, especially if your family is primarily descended from one country. Being of Irish descent is a part of who I am because almost everyone I'm related to is nearly 100% Irish.
    Everybody have fun tonight. Everybody Wang Chung tonight.

Johari
    /Nohari

MBTI
    ENTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Mitzy View Post
    we were the first intruders to A LOTTA PLACES harhar
    Its funny cuz its true.
    This world is mine - in time.