User Tag List

First 2345614 Last

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American? Does how long ago your forefathers emigrated make a difference? Also, is it considered a PC or even important thing to talk about? I'd be curious to know.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFP

Third generation Nordic-American. But I sometimes get the idea that due to political correctness I'm not supposed to brag about it.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

heart on fire

English
    German
    French
    Italian
    Apache Mescalero

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American. I'd be curious to know.
    It doesn't effect much, but physically I look like a cliche Scandinavian, minus the blue eyes, so that could effect some things.

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Third generation Nordic-American. But I sometimes get the idea that due to political correctness I'm not supposed to brag about it.
    Yeah, basically you're a racist if you've ever used the word "Nordic".

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Pink and I are English ( decendants of King Edward 1,2 and 3 ), Scottish, Welsh ( more nobel class than Lucifer even, so there ) and Cherokee.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I've not done much research, but my best guess is 1/4 German, 1/4 Irish, 1/4 English, 1/4 Potawatomi. I don't doubt the latter, being that my grandmother was 4/4.
    Pottawatomi! That means your family lived up around Chicago? You know, Chicago is the Pottawatomie word for "smelly swamp". No lie. lol

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    English
    German
    French
    Italian
    Apache Mescalero
    So does the Mescalero part mean there's a Spanish element to the Native American?

MBTI
    ENFP

Am I the only pure "bread" here?

100% pure Ayrab...

not like it means much, because I never get any minority things (affirmitive action) since every application to any college or grad school considers us white.

The applications always say: White (Caucasian or Middle Eastern descent).

Hell... I look more mexican than I do white.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    It doesn't effect much, but physically I look like a cliche Scandinavian, minus the blue eyes, so that could effect some things.

Yeah, basically you're a racist if you've ever used the word "Nordic".
    This winter in a mixed group of people I used the words "my peeps" to refer to my ancestors and I was accused of racism. Laughable.

I think it comes from the idea that Hitler thought that Norwegians were an even more perfect race than Germans, and tongue in cheek, it's the one thing I'd have to agree with about the hopeless man.

We're just plain kewl!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so

Aztec Mexican

Mescalero Apache

That is all to the best of my knowledge, but all American.
    You can't always do it right, you can always do what's left.

Thoughts rearrange. Familiar now strange. All my skin is drifting on the wind.~

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    Question: for Americans, does heritage actually have an impact upon your lives in any way? Would you act differently if you were of different heritage? Do you feel an affinity for the home country(s) even if you have never been to them? Or does it not really matter because you are foremost an American. I'd be curious to know.
    I'm American #1.
    I do feel a certain affinity to Haiti and Poland (and Russia to a certain extent), but to be honest... I feel a similar affinity to China just because I like it (I was there for 2 months and embraced the culture). So, certainly, I'm first and foremost an American.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by LadyJaye View Post
    Pottawatomi! That means your family lived up around Chicago? You know, Chicago is the Pottawatomie word for "smelly swamp". No lie. lol
    Well, I don't have personal knowledge of my lineage to the North, but I'm aware the tribe is from the area. Michigan et al. My ancestors were shipped off to Kansas to enjoy wheat, corn, and flatness.

I did not know that! Funny.