User Tag List

First 910111213 Last

MBTI
    INFP

How influenced are we by our predeccesor's being immigrants?

A thought I've had only recently is that, although somewhere in my past I have an English degree, when I type I notice that my colloquial English is not grammatically correct.

I wish I could think of an example right now. It's a matter of misplaced phrases, for one.

But I wonder if that didn't come from learning my spoken English from people who were speaking it as a second language.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    infp

If you go back far enough it would be English, Scotish, and Irish, but we just consider ourselves Canadian and of Canadian heritage because no one in our family has lived outside of Canada since well before it became a country, so it's kind of irelevant. And if the people who made a country are not it's heritage then who is and what is that country, identity speaking? We're racially British (if thats even a "race") but Canadian in heritage and culture.

ByMySword

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by GZA View Post
    If you go back far enough it would be English, Scotish, and Irish, but we just consider ourselves Canadian and of Canadian heritage because no one in our family has lived outside of Canada since well before it became a country, so it's kind of irelevant. And if the people who made a country are not it's heritage then who is and what is that country, identity speaking? We're racially British (if thats even a "race") but Canadian in heritage and culture.
    But you could say that about any heritage.

If you have Mexican heritage, then you probably have Spanish as well.

If you have English, then you have Celtic plus Anglo-Saxon, Norman, and even Viking heritage from time period when Germanic tribes settled there.

And I bet almost everyone from European descent has a little Roman in them as well.

We act like America was the first melting pot, but it wasn't. The whole world has been a melting pot since time began.

You invade a country; you sack their cities; you rape, pillage, and plunder; and then you settle down and assimilate into the society. Thats how its been for thousands of years.

MBTI
    ISTx

English, Czech, Irish other stuff that I can't remember. I need to get with my aunt about this. She's done some thorough research into our heritage and ancestors.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Caucasian, European-ancestry mutt.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    This is the first time I've seen the words "hell yeah" following the words "Polish Jew"..
    That's because you haven't met any ENFP champion Polish Jews.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

1/2 Finnish
    1/2 Swedish

MBTI
    INFP

Yeah, ByMySword. In American Scandinavian culture we have a bunch of Norwegians that we call Black Norwegians. I believe that came from when the Vikings were "visiting" Northern Italy. They have olive skin and brown hair and eyes. The Norwegian surname Russ derives from their reddish hair and evidences mixing with the original Russians.

And I understand that there are Northern Italians with light skin, blonde hair and blue eyes.

And the Hispanics who have joined us here in Southern Minnesota show the rich cultural heritage of Mexico, with their pale skin and reddish hair, I assume, from Spanish influence. And the Mayan/Aztec Indian features as well. Not sure about noticing the genetic Moorish influence. But I know that The Golden Age of Spain occurred during the Moorish occupation.

You know Mariachi music? I always think I can hear a bit of the Old Tyme "oompah" influence. From the Germanic peoples who settled in large numbers there in the, was it, 1800s?

I like to play a game with myself of guessing people's ethnic heritage by appearance but it is becoming more difficult with time and population mobility.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    That's because you haven't met any ENFP champion Polish Jews.
    Kurwa tak!!!!!

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by Anja View Post
    Yeah, ByMySword. In American Scandanavian culture we have a bunch of Norwegians that we call Black Norwegians. I believe that came from when the Vikings were "visiting" Northern Italy. They have olive skin and brown hair and eyes. The Norwegian surname Russ derives from their reddish hair and evidences mixing with the original Russians.
    Hey, Anja. The norwegians didn't just visit northern italy. Harald Hardraade is probably the most famous guy who fought in the service of the byzantine empire, but a lot of swedes and norwegians (and also a few anglo-saxons) served in the so-called "Varangian guard". Most of them were vikings who had settled in modern day Russia, but some of them came all the way from Scandinavia and England. And many went back. It was even under the banner of the Byzantines that they fought in northern Italy, if I'm not mistaken. We're talking about several thousand vikings, it's not that strange that they brought back a few wives and such.

And last of all, the name Russ is an English name, not norwegian, from the roman word "rufus" wich means something like redhead. No self-respecting norwegian would keep the surname "Russ" since it literally means "russian" in norwegian. And it's slightly rude to call someone a russian in Scandinavia, no offense

Some proof:
    Russ Family Crest

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come