123 Last

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Default What is it with people needing "deeper meaning" in their work?

For me, work has always just been a source of income. I spend a lot of time looking for lucrative jobs that fit me, but only because I suffer with disabilities that make life harder for me than most people, and I want to be very wealthy in spite of those problems. For those who desire "deeper meaning" and "fulfillment", how come you just don't shut up and get to work?
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan
    Likes ESFJ liked this post

MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    1fx sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None

If you are spending 40 + doing work, then having some meaning will make you feel better. It's also nice to feel like you are doing something good. It probably gives people a sense of control, purpose, and makes them feel important.

There's probably some more reasons, but I feel like many people have an innate need to do meaningful work.
    "Avoid getting too preoccupied thinking about what you’re going to do, to actually do it."
    — Rachel Wolchin

johari
    nohari

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Smilephantomhive View Post
    If you are spending 40 + doing work, then having some meaning will make you feel better. It's also nice to feel like you are doing something good. It probably gives people a sense of control, purpose, and makes them feel important.

There's probably some more reasons, but I feel like many people have an innate need to do meaningful work.
    I see purpose and whatnot as illusionary. I live first and foremost for sybaritic pleasures of the flesh, and then for wealth and power. ADHD and Bipolarism give me issues, but for the most part, I am driven by a desire to live the good life, and to enjoy all that money can buy.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Deeper meaning to me is just doing something impactful from a business perspective, adding value and supporting people in development of their careers.

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639

Marshmallow Heart thepink-cloakedninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    269 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by The Wailing Specter View Post
    For me, work has always just been a source of income. I spend a lot of time looking for lucrative jobs that fit me, but only because I suffer with disabilities that make life harder for me than most people, and I want to be very wealthy in spite of those problems. For those who desire "deeper meaning" and "fulfillment", how come you just don't shut up and get to work?
    Perhaps because material possessions are unfulfilling to many?

Personally, I'd rather be poor and doing something "meaningful" than rich and doing something I found shallow. Though I also think that people are capable of creating meaning in most (reasonable) situations.

Plus, who says that people going after deeper meaning aren't working hard? In fact, they might be working harder than you because they're doing both their day job, and their dream.
    Skinny people are easier to kidnap
    Stay safe
    Eat cheesecake

This sounds like a question that'd seems so intuitive (not the MBTI meaning kind), that it just sounds like you're wanting to play devil's advocate.

So to put it out simply:

Work for most people take a huge portion of their life away: because in a capitalistic society people have to work to live off the streets and have a decent life. Well, wouldn't you want to know what exactly the work you're putting your effort, work, sweat and tears and maybe not that even great pay going towards something useful?

Money can help with happiness but it is not the end all be all for happiness. Not everyone is carnal, and some find higher fulfillment in helping others. So if a job is only to satiate one person's desires over the many, doesn't that eat one away?

I would want to say people will look back at their life and appreciate the things they've done and not see everything as a means to an end. Chasing happiness isn't happiness.

It comes down to philosophy of course. But I don't know many means to an end kind of people who are truly happy
    everybody has gone through something that has changed them in a way that they could never go back to the person they once were
    I'm non-binary.

Quote Originally Posted by thepink-cloakedninja View Post
    Perhaps because material possessions are unfulfilling to many?

Personally, I'd rather be poor and doing something "meaningful" than rich and doing something I found shallow. Though I also think that people are capable of creating meaning in most (reasonable) situations.

Plus, who says that people going after deeper meaning aren't working hard? In fact, they might be working harder than you because they're doing both their day job, and their dream.
    ^This exactly.
    "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?" – Frida Kahlo
    Likes thepink-cloakedninja, geedoenfj liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by The Wailing Specter View Post
    Why do you think they're not working? I know many people that do fulfilling work and they definitely work harder than you do.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes geedoenfj, Hard, Reborn Relic liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    2w1 so/sp

Idk, there's nothing I want to do work-wise and I hate work because it takes away from my free time
    Likes geedoenfj, The Wailing Specter liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Because when I have fun with what I'm doing, I'm going to do it better and grow with it..

I studied Banking and didn't like it at all, and had no idea what I want to be, since I have too many interests and "talents" until I finally found being a special needs teacher is what I want for my life..

And as @thepink-cloakedninja said, I don't care about money, I mean being a core 6, I'm constantly worried about securing myself with money, and I definitely think it would be nice to be rich, but I prefer to do something that I actually like, and is somehow meaningful to me
    Work for a cause not for Applause
    Live to express not to Impress

6w7 > 1w2 > 4w3

Likes thepink-cloakedninja liked this post

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug: