Permabanned
    MBTI
    STFU
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    ILE None

Default Do you regret your past?

I just you know, opened the Pandora's box and i realized i kinda regret my past. I hope i built guts, buit courage to stand up for what i really want and didn't hide...

But then, past is past and must move on, learn from the past... It's not the end of the world anyways.. And we live in the present moment.. Eventhough my past has been great, it doesn't matter since i live in the present.

Just thought of it..

Do you have any regrets about your past?

Wake, See, Sing, Dance Cellmold's Avatar

I'm still relatively young but my take on regretting my past is that it's hard to call it a simple matter of regret.

I'm partly created out of the influence of that past. If I change a part (or possessed the power to) am I not also completely altering the person in the present and future? And this can sometimes run to some extreme conclusion of being about having a problem with yourself. Certainly there are some things I would have done differently & at my lowest ebbs I feel the ache of the past at it's strongest.

However, outside of inherently traumatic actions/choices, I can only see any regret being useful as a catalyst for learning across contexts. People often talk of what they would tell a younger self (there are threads on here about it I think, which I have also participated in) but as I go along I realised that since I was that child, there is no way I would listen, not even to myself.

After all: I've already experienced it. And sometimes we ignore advice that we have already told ourselves because we don't appreciate a repackaging, but contrariness in youth can make us avoid/reject it altogether and stop work on areas of growth that might have been more beneficial.

Ultimately I regret most the self-destructive emotionalism that closed off opportunity & words/actions aimed to hurt those who didn't deserve it. Besides, regret doesn't have to be such a bad thing; reminders are always useful as we have short memories.

At least, short where it would be better if they were long lasting.

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

Yes in lots of ways. But the good thing is that the future doesnt have to be a repeat of it- its open.
    Likes kotoshinohaisha, Radio Bob liked this post

Rebel with a cause. Peter Deadpan's Avatar
    Enneagram
    461 so/sx

They're all lessons. You don't grow (as well) without mistakes and perspective from experiences.

I do wish I wouldn't have hurt some people at certain times, but now I know better and I can also forgive easier because I understand what it's like to be the perpetrator. Empathy and forgiveness are very important, both toward yourself and others.
    Likes Typh0n, Nørrsken, kotoshinohaisha liked this post

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1 so/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

Yes.
    "Be-and yet know the great void where all things begin,
    the infinite source of your own most intense vibration,
    so that, this once, you may give it your perfect assent."
    Likes kotoshinohaisha, ñoño liked this post

MBTI
    INxx
    Enneagram
    614 sx/so

No, it was inevitable.
    Likes kotoshinohaisha liked this post

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

Definitely. Certain aspects of it. Like everyone. But nothing I cant live with.
    "I’m forever near a stereo saying, ‘What the fuck is this garbage?’ And the answer is always the Red Hot Chili Peppers" ~ Nick Cave
    Likes kotoshinohaisha liked this post

Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    ENTj Ni

No.

I do pretty often on certain things, but only the future will tell whether I will entirely regret them or not anymore. Although, one recent regret is I should have slept more; that way my mind would be clearer for the day today.
    "Feet, what do I need you for when I have wings to fly?" – Frida Kahlo

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    3w4 sp/so

The past still does matter. I regret some of it and wish I could've reached this place in my life without having to go through certain things.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :hi:
  • :bye:
  • :)
  • :hug:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :wink:
  • ;)