User Tag List

First 123 Last

Thread: Dog etiquette

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

We took him to obedience school awhile back. The trainer's comments were something along the lines of "Eli is a wonderful dog. I would not recommend you pursue Canine Good Citizen with Eli."

I love Cesar Milan. I wish our problems were bad enough that he'd come help us and put us on TV.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    We took him to obedience school awhile back. The trainer's comments were something along the lines of "Eli is a wonderful dog. I would not recommend you pursue Canine Good Citizen with Eli."

I love Cesar Milan. I wish our problems were bad enough that he'd come help us and put us on TV.
    If you can afford only a couple of sessions with a trainer who'll work with Eli, it probably would help a lot. Focusing just on you and your dog without a class full of other dogs and owners would be great.

Our dog is also loveable, but tries to dominate smaller dogs that bark at her. The dog park is out. My husband walks her because she pulls and is very strong. I've been waiting for a time when we have some extra money for private sessions with a trainer.

Good luck with the cardboard.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

I don't know whether you've already tried it, but the Gentle Leader collar thingy worked pretty well on my puller, FWIW.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Poop - just pick it up. We use plastic bags. Sometimes you'll have to carry it for a while. Residue will happen, but you might check his diet so it's not so soft all the time.

Petting - get down with him and pet him with the other person so he knows the other person is not a threat.

Pulling on a leash - Gentle Leader. Works like a charm! EDIT: like cafe says!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

The Gentle Leader was the first thing we tried. He whimpered and whined and then started to actually growl at it. After a couple of weeks we couldn't take his misery anymore. We got him another kind of harness that actually works pretty well, it has these padded straps that go around his front legs and when he pulls he basically is hoist by his own petard. But it's a pain to put on him, and I don't think it is helping behaviorally, only mechanically--though I'm not convinced changing the pulling behaviorally is a realistic goal for this dog.

Now I feel like one of those jerks who asks for advice and then has an answer for everybody's suggestions of why it won't work. But we really did try the Gentle Leader! Actually, that was back a few years ago when he was FAR more enthusiastic and challengey-- he's a lot more deferent nowadays, but just can't help himself with the pulling. Maybe we'll try it again.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I should also add that he came with some scarring on his muzzle that we think may have come from someone beating him about the head and face, or perhaps a fight with another dog. Which is why we didn't push the Gentle Leader too much. It's not a hotspot or anything--he actually loves to be pet on his muzzle, he's so very delta I think it reassures him that we're his lords and masters, and may scratch the scarring if it's itchy.

MBTI
    INFJ

Ivy, sometimes I see larger dogs wearing backpacks. I think the idea is you're giving the dog a job so he behaves more responsibly or something.
    Proud Female Rider in Maverick's Bike Club.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Oh, that is awesome. We really want to start taking him camping. Boy needs a backpack! That might appeal to his sled-dog working instincts.

MBTI
    ENTP

How old is Eli?
    Anyway, don't fear letting him go in big zones. I was afraid the first time I took my dog there and let him free, but even if they may seem like running away, they'll end searching for you (you can try hiding from him, they usually react in a funny way). If you're sure that he won't come back, you said you have space in your house, try calling him and giving him food when he comes. He'll eventually learn to come back instintively.

On the pulling thing... I had a husky. A crazy husky. And we decided to buy him a choking collar. I didn't like it, because it certainly hurt him and he sometimes end bleeding by the friction, but he didn't pull very much with it.
    But I prefer to try pulling back strongly and yelling 'NO'.

Good luck with Eli, anyway.
    5w4 - Idiosyncratic/Leisurely/Dramatic
    It's the devil's way now.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

We're not sure, but when we got him, our daughter was 2 years old and the vet said he was probably about 2 years old, so we celebrate his birthday at the same time we celebrate hers (her idea). She just turned 9, so we guess so did he.

My mother-in-law recommended getting the choking collar. I've been hesitating because it does seem mean. Pulling back and yelling "NO" is what I have been doing, and sometimes by the time he's tired at the end of a walk he will listen. But he's always raring to go at the beginning. Maybe this is something that will correct itself with more walks.