User Tag List

First 7891011 Last

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Hah

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    So I really think people (besides unicycle riding hippies) who avoid driving have low driving-related self esteem.
    Or they live in a society that's slightly more civilised then the american one. Where I live, if you live in a city the only time you really need a car is if you want to transport big/heavy things.
    In any other situation you can use a thing called public transportation. It's a pretty good idea since it doesn't, at a comparable rate, destroy the only known inhabitable place in the universe known to mankind. It also helps prevent fear and atomisation of communities.

And even though the fees are too high in the public transport system it's cheaper then driving as the price of petrol is almost twice as high as in the US.

I learned at 15 and got my license a little late at 17. I put it off because I didn't want to get a job, and that was the only way I was going to be able to have a car. And since I wasn't going to have a car, I was in no hurry to get my license.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

I got my license when I turned 17.
    I failed my first road test because I missed a stop sign, :steam:
    But I'm not a bad driver.. I swear..
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    nnnn

I don't plan on learning how to drive unless it would be required for my dream job or something. High introverted perception+driving = difficulty. I easily admit that driving is a scary thing for me, I have little insight in traffic situations and simply don't notice a great many things. I love taking the train and public transportation...I don't mind waiting - it's an adventure. There are also the obvious extra advantages such as money, environment, safety etc.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Sture View Post
    Or they live in a society that's slightly more civilised then the american one.
    Civilized might not be the right term, spread out might be more it....much of the US is not, and never will be served by a practical public transportation system. Not densely populated enough.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6?

I didn't bother until I could pay for a car and insurance myself. I was 21.
    INFJ

"I can never be what I ought to be until you are what you ought to be. You can never be what you ought to be until I am what I ought to be. This is the interrelated structure of reality." -Martin Luther King, Jr.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

I was first behind a wheel at age 12 -- an '84 Tercel manual on a low-traffic, GA airport taxiway. Barely able to reach the pedals, let alone with any sense of interplay between clutch and accelerator, I alternately stalled, revved and peeled out.

It was so much fun.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm 22, and I still don't know how to drive. It's necessary in a place like this, and I've been procrastinating for years.

filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTJ

31, and I don't drive.

First it was simply about being poor, then making an environmental statement when I could have afforded the licence & a new car at the age of 24.

Never wanted a used car. I've really never needed one; I've got everywhere I wanted to by walking, with a bicycle and using public transport. I've been a sport enthusiast, too; not watching, but doing. The thing of wanting to have a nice car at the age 24 was just for showing off; then I realized how silly and unneeded it was. At the age of 18, I could understand.. but 24? I saved my money to start a small business, and lose it at that
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    Hah

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    Civilized might not be the right term, spread out might be more it....much of the US is not, and never will be served by a practical public transportation system. Not densely populated enough.
    You mean less spread out?
    I agree that all rural areas can't be totally covered by public transport, but it's not like they have reached the practical limit yet. And there's absolutely no rational reason why a city like LA should be flooded by cars. Or is there?