User Tag List

First 56789 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

i started to learn to drive pretty early at about 14, but that was only every once in awhile when i could convince my dad to let me! i didn't get an actual drivers license until i was 18, and that was after i actually failed the driving portion twice.
    i couldn't parallel park.
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

Senior Member TenebrousReflection's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm curious about the actual facts. How old were you when you learned how to drive?

My dad used to once in a while let me practice driving in empty parking lots, and then I proceeded to get a temporary license, but I never used it. I just wasn't that interested in it at the time and I always imagined screwing up, so I didn't feel I was ready.

Did any of you learn to drive at about the normal age or did you first learn to drive when you were older -- like in your mid-20s or maybe even 30s?

How old were you?

And if you don't currently drive, state your age.
    This actually applies to me presently.

Ifirst "learned to drive" when I was 15 or 16 (can't recall exactly), but I never felt comfortable actually driving and never got my licence. For a long time, walking and public transportation was good enough for me (unless I wanted to do anything on a weekend, the buses here stop running at about 9pm on the weekends makign them just about useless for any weekend evening outings). I've since reached a point, where not having a car of my own and being able to drive has limited me in ways I am no longer willing to accept and have decided I need to learn (re-learn) to drive. I have a very strong distrust of both other automobile operators (which comes from being a pedestrian for years) and myself since beign alert and observant are things that take a great deal of effort for me (representign my very poor Se development). I am about as far from an agressive driver as you can imagine and I don't like the idea of being on the road with peopel that are in such a hury. 4-way stops are a real nightmare for me since my inclination is to be polite and let others go first and wait for a safe lull but since thats not how they are supposed to work I need to train myself to be a lot more ruthless. My parking skills are probably worse than everything else tho. I supposedly have a good sense of spatial geometry from tests and school and such, but that does not translate into being good at parking like one might hope.

I'd rather not give my exact age, but lets just say 30+ and presently learnign to drive.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

I don't think there's a need to be embarrassed. Driving isn't required in life. I know people who will die never touching the wheel of a car in their lives. It's an opportunity, one of the biggest ones people take for granted.

If you didn't need it, there's no need for it. Driving is a huge hassle, just a necessary one if you need the transportation. At present, you decided you need it, so you're taking the steps to get it, that's all.

Good luck about it all! It's not anything to be ashamed of.. it's like never learning to cook or something. When you need it, you'll make the effort and obtain it. People are good at adapting to get what they need.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have my permit, but I am too afraid to get my lisence. I tried once but I failed miserably, I did not even make it around the block! Right now, I am 19.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram

hehe, funny thing..I get my permit on 10/6, but I have known how to drive for the past year, and driven illegally on some back country roads with my father a few times..but I still prefer to ride my bike places..when I can.
    Is it that by its indefiniteness it shadows forth the heartless voids and immensities of the universe, and thus stabs us from behind with the thought of annihilation, when beholding the white depths of the milky way?

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    I don't think there's a need to be embarrassed. Driving isn't required in life. I know people who will die never touching the wheel of a car in their lives. It's an opportunity, one of the biggest ones people take for granted.
    True. However, if you live in an area that isn't near or in a city, odds are that there is very little in public transportation, and getting around will be pretty difficult.

Driving is a huge hassle, just a necessary one if you need the transportation.
    I happen to enjoy it a lot, especially when I'm away from the traffic and up on some windy mountain roads. What you drive can make a big difference in if it's a hassle, or a nice experience.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by millerm277 View Post
    True. However, if you live in an area that isn't near or in a city, odds are that there is very little in public transportation, and getting around will be pretty difficult.
    I too live just outside of public transportation. It sorta sucks, I definitely didn't have the option of taking the bus everyday to where-ever I worked, and before I could drive I rode my bike ridiculous amounts of time to and from places and worked close to the house.

But really, the hassle of all that is worth it if you're not ready to drive.. I'd rather someone go out of their way and have the roads safe. When people are ready to learn, they will, and they'll get the hang of it. Driving is one of the easiest necessities to learn, and hardly anyone ever masters it.
    Kantgirl: Just say "I'm feminine and I'll punch anyone who says otherwise!"
    Halla74: Think your way through the world. Feel your way through life.

Cimarron: maybe Prpl will be your girl-bud
    prplchknz: i don't like it

In Search Of... ... Kiwi Sketch Art ... Dream Journal ... Kyuuei's Cook book ... Kyu's Tiny House Blog ... Minimalist Challenge ... Kyu's Savings Challenge

MBTI
    INTP

I'd say that if it's at all possible for you to learn to drive (ie, not too expensive and you have access to someone's car), it's worth it to learn. First, it probably won't be as scary as you imagine, and second, it's good to have your license, should you find yourself in an emergency situation.

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

Well, I started learning at age 5, when my little brother pulled the emergency brake while we were inside my dad's van and the car took off rolling down the driveway. But I didn't get a license until I was 18. On the day I got my license, I borrowed my stepmom's car and promptly got into an accident in a McDonald's parking lot.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

I did some driving in parking lots at around 15 or so, but I never followed through on any of it. I got a temporary license but I never used it. I just picked up on it again today after talking my father into teaching me to drive stick. He let me practice in the parking lot.

It's surprisingly less difficult to maneuver a car in the real world than in video games.

The main problem for me is having to be aware of everything around me. Damn Ni.

I guess you can say I have some satisfaction in one area of my life, the problem is that I now have one less thing to complain about.