User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

17, latter half of my senior year of HS. I asked my parents if I could do it. I never approached my parents about it before, kept thinking they'd ask me, but they put my sister through driver's ed and it was a nightmare (she almost wrecked my mom's car just trying to get out of the driveway) so I can understand why they never asked me. She's just over 30 and still doesn't drive.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTx

Learner's permit at 15, driver's license at 16.

I think I even went to test on my birthdays. Determined 2 drive, right hurr.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

If you're over 16, are you allowed to get a drivers license or do you still have to get a temporary license? (Question for American members.)

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I think in MD 16 was the minimum age for the real license. Permit-only available at 15.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTx

You just get a license. A written and actual driving portion.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    A written and actual driving portion.
    I don't quite get what this means...

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I'm curious about the actual facts. How old were you when you learned how to drive?

Did any of you learn to drive at about the normal age or did you first learn to drive when you were older -- like in your mid-20s or maybe even 30s?

How old were you?

And if you don't currently drive, state your age.
    16ish. I didn't bother to get a license until I was 18, which was late in my community. For the record, I hate driving. I try to avoid bothering with it whenever possible. It brings out the worst part of me. The part that goes, "If you're driving a vehicle, you're a complete, blithering idiot and I hope you get the fuck off the road so I don't run into you when you fail to communicate what you're trying to do, try to make me hurry, or don't look where the hell you're going." I consider myself a complete, blithering idiot when I'm driving a car. Gotta be consistent.

Edit: And yes, here 16 is the age you can get a real license that says you're a newbie. It's 15 for a permit. 18 for an updated license that doesn't say you're a newbie.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

still haven't gotten a license or permit
    will be 19 in 2 months

The Unwieldy Clawed One Falcarius's Avatar
    MBTI
    COOL
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Socionics
    Dino None

Falcarius is twenty-one million years old and he does not have a license, nor can he drive a car. He does not plan on learning any time soon either.

That said, he showed off his skills at the nature reserve with a two wheel tractor and tipping trailer today. You see the frogs are dumb, they can never hear the tractor when it has the lawn mower on the front. Falcarius did not want to kill the frogs, so he spent fifteen minutes driving up and down a meadow, through a small corn field, with the 'cutting bar' and 'lawn mower' attachments in the tipping trailer, chasing them back up a eight foot steep bank and to the pond. He finally got around to cutting the meadow first with the cutting bar, and then with the lawn mower on the front of the tractor.

Seriously, those frogs have a death wish. They should count themselves lucky that Falcarius is not some Frenchman but rather a vegetarian.
    Quote Originally Posted by Thalassa View Post
    Oh our 3rd person reference to ourselves denotes nothing more than we realize we are epic characters on the forum.

Narcissism, plain and simple.

MBTI
    ENTP

I passed my test in April this year. About a month after my 31st birthday. This is not at all unusual for Europe. In fact, at least 50% of my social circle consists of people who don't drive, even in their 50's and 60's.

edit - it's often met with disbelief and horror here, the information as to how young and how ubiquitously Americans learn to drive...

then again it's a totally different culture. spaces between places are smaller here, public transport is more universal and accessible, taxes on fuel and everything to do with motoring are high, prohibitively high for anyone from lower than upper working class, parking is stupidly expensive in town centres... there's just less need for it here, it's as much a liability as a convenience.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen