MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I'm 15 btw.
    Yeah.
    No.

MBTI
    INFP

I'm sixty and very proud and happy to have survived.

You're all whippersnappers here to me.

I just didn't put my picture up because I'm trying to sound hot to some old dude in a wheelchair with a good pension and he might see a wrinkle or two.

You bring up a point that ageism is still alive and well.
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

MBTI
    ISTJ

Go mommy!
    yesiknowimamiserablegrouchnowgoawayovmeleor

It's Mizzz ST, thank you...

MBTI
    INFP

Dang. Now you're all going to secretly believe I'm a twelve year old boy!

'Mornin' Bella!
    "No ray of sunshine is ever lost, but the green which it awakes into existence needs time to sprout, and it is not always granted to the sower to see the harvest. All work that is worth anything is done in faith." - Albert Schweitzer

perdu fleur par bologne Martoon's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Yeah, I'm not sure why age is such a big secret for people here. Being an MBTI forum, it's kind of the nature of this place to talk about who you are, how you relate to people, etc., and a lot of members actually bring out some pretty personal stuff. But if anyone knows your age, suddenly they know too much about you. *shrug*

I think it's helpful to know people's ages, to help put things in context. You have a better idea of where they're coming from when they post, how to respond, etc.
    I'm not a procrastinator. I'm a long-term planner.

MBTI
    INFP

Here's one that works for me: If someone asks me my age, it's a safe assumption that they are still in their teens. Hee.

But yes, it does help lend some understanding about the life issues they may be dealing with. I think I can pick up on what decade someone is in by the types of things they are thinking about.

There was one case of a very old man I "met" though whom I guessed to be in puberty. (But I think he'd just gone senile.)

Wonder what his pension is. . .

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Personally I always considered it poor form to use age as a guide to anything. Sure it may help in increasing certain possibilities "he said that cause he's just not used to the whole feeling awkward around girlies" but as a straight measure it's about as useful as knowing someone's location.

In my few years on these boards I've always been surprised and happy to find out people's ages (don't know if it's just me but the young tend to seem older and the older seem younger to me). It's never really altered my perspective of someone.

Oh and as for why people might conceal it.. well it's incase you ARE one of those who use age as a guideline to wisdom. Personally I've never hidden my age because I'm of the opinion that if someone thinks less of me because of my age then regardless of theirs they're showing a little more childish nature than I care to tackle.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Are some of you embarrassed of your age? Do you want to be thought of as a different age than you are? What's you reason, if any, for not showing it?
    I hide it because I want to be judged from who I am, not when I was born. I'm probably younger than most of you think, but i've been through a lot, both good and bad.
    And I have a decent profile picture of me in a less flattering situation (drunk at the pub) I'm somewhere between 20 and 30.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    istp

ISTPs will keep anything to themselves that they can... it's just another part of maintaining our secret identity the rest of you have no excuse.

im 21, but I think it would be better to say that part of me is 45 and the other part is 7. i can never seem to act my age.

MBTI
    INFP

And I'm thinkin' as much as older people may worry that they'll be discounted for not knowing what's goin' on, many younger people worry that they'll lack credibility if they don't give their age as older.

You know, how kids will say, "I'm thirteen, almost fourteen."

I overheard a funny conversation among some teens on Sunday where they were quibbling over whether something had occurred three years ago or four years ago. And it put me in mind of how relative time is as one ages.

My daughter is now more than half as old as I - a totally different perspective than when I was four times older than her.

I believe that I have a good handle on what it's like to be younger cuz I been there/ done that and remember. I am glad to have had diverse experiences to draw from to make what feel like good decisions and have something to offer.

On the other hand, every time I read here I learn things from people who are younger than I. Seems like a good way to look at it for me.