User Tag List

First 311121314 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w3
    Socionics
    IEI

I think on this forum, because of the purpose of it, I've felt comfortable mentioning my age. It's such an important factor sometimes when I respond to something; I haven't had as many experiences as some people, and so my advice/thoughts can be a bit flawed, y'know? Anyway, also I think it's easier to converse with people who know your background, agewise. I think ageism isn't such a big thing online. *shrug*
    4w3, IEI, so/sx/sp, female, and Cancer sign.

My thoughts on...
    Enneagram:
    Socionics:
    MBTI:

DISCLAIMER: If I offend you, I'm 99.9% sure it's unintentional. So be sure to let me know, m'kay? (And yes, an INFP would stick this in their signature, lol.)

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Ha, cos nobody else is that age eh? So if you told us, then we'd know EXACTLY which of the millions of residents of your country was you!!

I always figured people who hide their age must be teens and early 20's, cos they're the ones nobody listens to, figuring they know dick. And they're the ones who won't understand why nobody listens to them until they get older and realize that, back then, they really did know dick.

what if you are in your early 20s and know you know about a shit amount of anything and you always knew you knew a shit amount of anything?
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    9w8

i am 32.

Quote Originally Posted by Jen View Post
    nice to know i'm not the only one and that nighthawk is 7 years older than we are.
    no way. i looked at your profile picture, i cannot believe you are the age you say you are. you seriously look much younger.

MBTI
    INTP

I don't think that's true. After all, most of our personalities are largely made up of the experiences we've had in the world out there, in which those things are strong contributing factors. It's not really possible to just leave your personality at the door the minute you go online, and quite often those factors do show through. Not only that, but there are some things that really, nothing but time can teach a person, so however wise or intelligent you are for your sixteen years (not you personally), you're just really not going to be able to disguise your natural and healthy immaturity. In such cases, prejudice can work for, rather than against you, as people who would come down on you like a ton of bricks if they knew you were in your forties and ought to know better, would be more indulgent and forgiving towards a kid.

Plus, some of us have fought long and hard, suffered and bled for those parts of our identity, to keep and own them and earn the right to not have to hide them. Why would such people want them to be ignored?
    Experience is in the past.
    Noosphere is not.

I hold with Victor.
    Do not be offended. You are correct about the identity.
    I am with you all the way.
    But it is another matter.

MBTI
    ENTP

For me, not being anonymous is about being answerable and owning the things I do and say. I don't see the internet as a special case place, where the usual rules of ethics and conduct don't apply, so therefore I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't also say face to face or in front of a hundred people with a microphone in a park. So if I'm willing to take whatever comes of exposing myself to the public in the tangible world, I don't see why I'd feel the need to avoid it in the virtual world, I don't see why the two should be kept separate like that.

I mean, there's no more risk IMO, in putting my phone number and full name on a post in this forum, than there would be in the dozens of situations where I've written it on a beermat that I've left behind in a pub after talking to a stranger who said they wanted to get in touch with me again sometime. I don't know that person and they could give my number and name to anyone, I have no control over that in reality so why should I care to have it in uh, virtuality? lol It's no different than being in the local telephone directory - anyone has access to that, and yet the vast majority of people have not experienced axe murderers or stalkers getting hold of them through that, have they?

Nothing bloody happens anyway. Several times in a defiant gesture against the security/safety obsessed culture these days, I've published my photo, name and address and lots of personal facts about my life, on my blog, read by a lot of people. I've never had even one single phone call from it.

edit - for years and years I've made a habit of giving my address and name to bums I meet and chat to on the street, offering them anything from a coffee to a meal and an airbed on the floor if they ever wanna pop by. Some have taken it up, some haven't, but never yet have I had my house robbed or my kids hacked up in their sleep. And though it's not the kind of thing you could really predict your reaction to, I feel reasonably confident that even if anything bad did happen, I'd get up and get over it and then carry on as before... *shrug*

I just don't think "people" are as dangerous as they're made out to be... I don't think the world's as bad a place as it's made out to be... and I'm willing to take whatever consequences come of my decisions.

I'm just not afraid, that's all.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

Hmmm, I guess age doesn't matter at all to me but I would never want to attach my real name to a public site.

But I guess here I let pieces of myself show that most people dont ever get to see in the real world. So I dont care if strangers read it but it would bother me very much if aquaintances or coworkers read it.

You guys are cheaper than therapy and I am odd enough to be in need of some amount of that I think.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ne-Monster View Post
    Hmmm, I guess age doesn't matter at all to me but I would never want to attach my real name to a public site.

But I guess here I let pieces of myself show that most people dont ever get to see in the real world. So I dont care if strangers read it but it would bother me very much if aquaintances or coworkers read it.

You guys are cheaper than therapy and I am odd enough to be in need of some amount of that I think.
    Hm, I'm not sure if that strikes me as very healthy though... I mean, on the one hand you've got people here saying they wish they had friends they were intimate with, that they were close to and who they could open up to properly... and yet, it's small wonder that they don't seem to get this, when they turn instead to anonymous strangers to talk about anything personal or intimate, rather than take the step of allowing themselves to be vulnerable with their RL friends and family, that vulnerability that fosters trust and true intimacy.

Just thinking about Crocodile Dundee, when they explained to him about therapists, and he said something like "Oh yeah, we have them in Australia, they're called mates."
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I'm just not afraid, that's all.
    Herein lies the key!
    See, I actually AM afraid. I worry about that sort of thing. Not that it's rational. But I go through all these different scenarios in my head. If I release one aspect of myself on the internet, the rest might follow at some point. And then, if someone searches on the internet for me, they'll find me here. And then what'll happen??
    It's just... the uncertainty of it all.
    And yes, I agree with previous posters about how the crew of people on TypeC aren't the sorts of people you'd worry about, in terms of stalking you or anything. It's the other people who can access this site who AREN'T regulars that I worry about.
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Enneagram
    9w8 so/sx

For me, not being anonymous is about being answerable and owning the things I do and say. I don't see the internet as a special case place, where the usual rules of ethics and conduct don't apply, so therefore I wouldn't say anything here that I wouldn't also say face to face or in front of a hundred people with a microphone in a park. So if I'm willing to take whatever comes of exposing myself to the public in the tangible world, I don't see why I'd feel the need to avoid it in the virtual world, I don't see why the two should be kept separate like that.

I mean, there's no more risk IMO, in putting my phone number and full name on a post in this forum, than there would be in the dozens of situations where I've written it on a beermat that I've left behind in a pub after talking to a stranger who said they wanted to get in touch with me again sometime. I don't know that person and they could give my number and name to anyone, I have no control over that in reality so why should I care to have it in uh, virtuality? lol It's no different than being in the local telephone directory - anyone has access to that, and yet the vast majority of people have not experienced axe murderers or stalkers getting hold of them through that, have they?
    Exactly how I see it. Any old stranger that I meet irl knows my name and then some, don't see why I should hide it here.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    INFp

Its different slightly, by having a full name and date, just like facebook, you can be snooped on, info can be damaging. Say family, employers, friends etc can have negative connotations. This may be likened to white pages, but on the internet you can check much wider afield. Why then have logins and passwords if not for security reasons. This has little to do with security and insecurity of the self, its got more to do with trust and common sense.

I still think 31 is the new 21.

But then I've never acted like 21 when I was 21 and I certainly don't act like 31 either when I'll be past 31. I'm a confused soul, life's corridors are such.