User Tag List

First 345

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Depends on what you mean by "language".

Today I did really poorly on a match test. It was almost entirely comprised of kinds of questions I was acing all last night. But when the time came for me to take the test, I suddenly couldn't remember fundamental little rules. It was extremely frustrating.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Senior Thread Terminator Aerithria's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

Once I was shopping for a Thank You card, and I swear, after five minutes in the card aisle I was going "Thank... thank... thank..." and kind of staring at the thing curiously, because I couldn't figure out why that word looked so wrong. It's amusing afterwards, because you don't really know how you can screw up such basic words, but it can be quite frustrating when it's happening.

Oh, and just something about knowing two languages: I have a friend who can't say the word 'marshmellow'. She says 'guimauve' instead. I don't usually replace english words with french ones, though I do get very gesticulate if I can't remember what I'm trying to say.
    [insert funny quote/saying/etc.]

MBTI
    INxJ

Sometimes, the way a word sounds or is spelled seems wrong to me. I decide my memory has it filed away incorrectly when it actually hasn't. That's only happened a few times and it's only one word.

MBTI
    intp

Quote Originally Posted by ThatGirl View Post
    How would I know if I was having one of those days when my spelling is off?

I think I am the forums worst speller in general
    To answer the question a good work out usually helps me get focused again
    I think this is the only post I've seen from you that's free of spelling errors.

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    This happens to me ALL the time. Sometimes I'll forget what something's called, and I'll end up just describing what it does. This is an extreme example, and it hasn't happened yet, but like calling a "door" a "room opener." Once I forgot the word "margins" when I was describing to students how to format a paper in MLA style. "The space around the edges of the paper should be 1" all the way around." I remembered it for the next class.

Last night, I was trying to tell a student how I wanted her thoughts organized for a paper, and the word "outline" didn't seem right. It was right, but it just didn't seem right. Also last night, I was trying to figured out how to say I turned off my car engine. I asked my roommate if there was a word for that.

Other times, certain words just don't seem like they should be words.

I'm glad to know it's not just me!
    Wow! Same thing happens. I even forget the names of friends/family I see or talk to regularly

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    Have you heard the story about the teens who were wacked out on amphetamines, wandering around in the cold, talking to cows who they thought were foreigners speaking a different language? They died of exposure, I've heard the 911 call. It was not good.

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    Sometimes, the way a word sounds or is spelled seems wrong to me. I decide my memory has it filed away incorrectly when it actually hasn't. That's only happened a few times and it's only one word.
    Which word?
    hoarding time and space
    A single event can awaken within us a stranger totally unknown to us. To live is to be slowly born.
    — Antoine de Saint-Exupery

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    I think this is the only post I've seen from you that's free of spelling errors.

Wow! Same thing happens. I even forget the names of friends/family I see or talk to regularly

Which word?
    Cool! I've been quoted in a signature!

MBTI
    INTP

Sort of related, does anyone ever forget how a cliche goes? It's happened to me many times, but I thought I'd share this gem from my roommate's boss. He used the phrase, "drop at the dime of a hat" the other day in an email to her.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I can totally relate. It happens probably once every 3 months while I'm looking at a word like "could" or "that" and it looks like the strangest fucking thing in the world. It happens to my girlfriend too. I guess it's common. I'm not sure what causes it. I would guess it has something to do with shutting off a part of your brain that recognizes and identifies words.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    Sort of related, does anyone ever forget how a cliche goes? It's happened to me many times, but I thought I'd share this gem from my roommate's boss. He used the phrase, "drop at the dime of a hat" the other day in an email to her.
    "A bird in the hand is like a man in the sand." --Louis C.K.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Quote Originally Posted by ThatsWhatHeSaid View Post
    I can totally relate. It happens probably once every 3 months while I'm looking at a word like "could" or "that" and it looks like the strangest fucking thing in the world. It happens to my girlfriend too. I guess it's common. I'm not sure what causes it. I would guess it has something to do with shutting off a part of your brain that recognizes and identifies words.
    I've had that happen before, and it's always with simple words.
    "We grow up thinking that beliefs are something to be proud of, but they're really nothing but opinions one refuses to reconsider. Beliefs are easy. The stronger your beliefs are, the less open you are to growth and wisdom, because "strength of belief" is only the intensity with which you resist questioning yourself. As soon as you are proud of a belief, as soon as you think it adds something to who you are, then you've made it a part of your ego."

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    I've had that happen before, and it's always with simple words.
    Totally. Salsuginous looks normal but cat becomes an enigma.