User Tag List

View Poll Results: Can you blow your nose properly?

Voters
16. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes (you incompetent fool)

13 81.25%
  • No

3 18.75%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I won't attempt to mask this in an MBTI/scientific veil. Simple question: how many of you can blow your nose properly? I never learned to as a child, and now no matter what I try, or what I do (one nostril, hard; one nostril, soft; both nostrils, hard; both nostrils, soft; tissue in the nose; tissue outside the nose; over a sink; building up a sneeze; just generally poking around in there and examining the results) I can always feel more just waiting to come out. 5 seconds later I sound like I'm blowing bubbles in a glass of Coke. The only thing that works is my morning shower, but being an inherently home-based activity this solution doesn't work too well for the rest of the day.

Darwin seems to have gifted me a decent immune system so I don't get colds often, but when I do...argh!

On a seperate, but related note, does anyone else find that only one nostril causes them problems when they've got a cold/are otherwise ill. Always the left, always the left...

I've no idea why I'm asking these deep questions, but humour me.
    Yes, a shower does help, as does RC's suggestion of a Neti cup. Take a look at the SinuCleanse kit. It helps alot, I find. Also, I find that having a good size Kleenex helps, too.

Quote Originally Posted by booyalab View Post
    that's normal, it has to do which side you lay on more.
    Very true, and also the fact that most noses aren't symmetrically shaped. Most people I've seen have one nare slightly larger than the other (but try not to state too hard, makes them uncomfortable ).

MBTI
    INTJ

I have a friend with allergies who swears by the Neti. Can't help more, I answered yes

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ExTJ

I picked no, but my last big cloggy nose was a long tine ago, so I don't really know for sure.

Spicy foods really help clogged noses, for some further advice, they start the snot running out well.

Showers don't seem to help my much, a bit runs out with water but the big clog chunk tends to stay in the nose.

MBTI
    ENTP

One might ask why your nose is so clogged up anyway... do you have a cold? is it some kind of allergy? Cos if neither of those, maybe you live in a worryingly polluted area. London people are famed for having 'black snot', from breathing in the heavy carbon fumes in the city, and you get it in other big cities too.

Maybe moving to the country would solve your problem, unless you already live there.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    One might ask why your nose is so clogged up anyway... do you have a cold? is it some kind of allergy? Cos if neither of those, maybe you live in a worryingly polluted area. London people are famed for having 'black snot', from breathing in the heavy carbon fumes in the city, and you get it in other big cities too.

Maybe moving to the country would solve your problem, unless you already live there.
    Nety cups help with that, too.

(Shucks...I was aiming for only 2 word responses in this thread!)
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    I do know a few people who suffer with 'black snot' (you're right, this is a surprisingly polluted place). But I just have a cold at the moment - usually it's all good.

rivercrow, I'm currently hunting around for a straw but I don't think we have any
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    type

rivercrow, I'm currently hunting around for a straw but I don't think we have any
    It's okay.

Before we found the neti cups, I used to just put saline in the palm of my hand and snort it. That works, but requires some reflex control.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein

Snort salt water? How the hell is that going to help stop my nose running?
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    type

Same way the neti cup does. Rinses out what's irritating the nasal membranes.

Oh. Word of warning. Don't snort Vitamin C. Bad idea.

MBTI
    INTJ

Why is nasal irrigation helpful?
    Irrigating or spraying the nose with salt water-such as with saline nasal sprays that are purchased in the pharmacy without prescription-is useful for cleaning mucous out of the nasal passages and relieving nasal congestion. With proper use of an inexpensive device called a Neti Pot, it is possible to irrigate the sinus cavities. When a strong salt-water solution is used, the sinuses are stimulated to expel mucous that is trapped and stagnating. This results in a "runny nose" that may last for 10 or 15 minutes, after which the sinuses are relatively empty with less material to drain out and cause postnasal drip. In addition, germs tend to breed in this mucous, so the less mucous there is, the less likely it is that you will get a sinus infection. The whole process is simple, comfortable and quick. After you do it once or twice, it should require no more than a few minutes to complete an irrigation from start to finish.
    Sinusitis

This signature left intentionally blank.

Really.