First 234

Thread: Call your dad!

insert random title here Randomnity's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    my dad's an INTJ. which means he's probably taking it personally that i haven't called, but he won't say anything unless i ask for five bucks... even if it's ten years from now, and at the same time, he isn't surprised by my actions in the least and will feel good about it if i don't call because he was right.
    Hahaha, that's exactly my (XNTJ) dad too.

But see, if I called my dad this year, I'd be setting him up for disappointment when I don't call him next year. I'm just thinking of him!

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Happy Father's Day to the fathers on the forum!....
    Edit: also a for those who cannot call their fathers for reasons other than him being deceased, or for people whose concept of fatherhood only brings pain.
    I the concept of fathers. If I were to hug mine, he'd probably bite me, the drunkard!

I'm happy for Jennifer.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    I the concept of fathers.
    Me too! I never formed an emotional connection to mine, but have imagined what it might be like for others. I did think of sending my former mentor an email, but I couldn't allude to any emotional context because that is just out of bounds in relating to him. Still, he was sort of like my father figure because he shaped me intellectually and philosophically in many ways from the time i was still unformed as an artist. The twelve years I studied with him, I didn't necessarily think he 'liked' me, but I visited at his office a couple of years ago and he did give me a hug which is quite unprecedented for him, as he is as introverted and austere as anyone I have ever known. I may send him an email today as it would be more disguised that way.

I did tell my father-in-law "Happy Father's Day" yesterday and I think it meant something to him.

Quote Originally Posted by Crabapple View Post
    If I were to hug mine, he'd probably bite me, the drunkard!
    Sorry to hear it. I do agree that if there is any redeeming quality, it is worth the risk of venturing to show compassion and respect, at least in a formal way. This is especially true if the person regrets any of their harm. There are cases where even this doesn't apply and for those people, you're okay to not feel anything. You're still a good person.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    Sorry to hear it. I do agree that if there is any redeeming quality, it is worth the risk of venturing to show compassion and respect, at least in a formal way. This is especially true if the person regrets any of their harm. There are cases where even this doesn't apply and for those people, you're okay to not feel anything. You're still a good person.
    There are no redeeming qualities...and I believe he is incapable of regret. But thanks for the hope-filled-ness, Toonia.
    Never attribute to malice that which can be adequately explained by stupidity.
    -- Unknown