User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Thread: Call your dad!

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Wolf View Post
    I didn't call my worthless male genetic donor...
    hmmm, does Hallmark make cards for "Worthless Male Genetic Donor Day"?
    If there's a card for every occasion, I just wonder...
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Urgh! I was going to call this evening and then ended up being busy until after nine and I don't call people after nine. I was going to call him this morning when I was packing up camp, but I was surprised to find that I don't have his number on my cell. I will rectify that and hopefully call tomorrow.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    For the sons and daughters on the forum-- call your dad!
    You mean like, with the telephone?! *gasp*

I e-mailed him.

MBTI
    INTP

Well, I do feel blessed to have a good relationship with my dad. But how much emotion does one share on Father's Day, anyway. We're men, dammit!

I feel like there's a real lack of stuff to do or get to mark the occasion. Since he's retired there's no need for a tie. Then there's aftershave lotion - blah. I got my dad a gift cert for Best Buy and a signed copy of Dave Winfield's new book. I would've liked to have gotten it personalized but I actually missed the signing day. Luckily, he signed extra copies that were on sale that I picked up a couple (you always buy something you want for yourself), the next day.

I was on & off w/the phone call in under 6 min. He was a great influence and I'm glad he's still around.

MBTI
    INTP

Edit: also a for those who cannot call their fathers for reasons other than him being deceased, or for people whose concept of fatherhood only brings pain.
    hehe, keepin it real on mbtic.

MBTI
    INTP

Edit: also a for those who cannot call their fathers for reasons other than him being deceased, or for people whose concept of fatherhood only brings pain.
    Thank you.
    ...so much smoke pouring out of each chromosome.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I called my dad and it was still surreal.

He was entirely sober.
    He has been doing an amazing amount of yardwork on their 3/4 acre of land.
    They have cut down a lot of the overgrown maples and other trees that were just crowding things in the yard... enough so that the large plot where we used to have a garden as kids is now being used as such.
    (Yes, he laid down black plastic and is growing everything from potatoes and peas and asparagus to corn and tomatoes and melons.)
    He's been cleaning out the old garages and sheds full of collected junk (metal machinery pieces, old door frames, just so much... CRAP... my solution upon his death would have been to soak down the place and then toss in a match.

And despite having started receiving his SS early, he is starting back to work today with an insurance company... but told me that he's happy because he believes in the product, has confidence he'll be able to sell it, and is being realistic about what he wants (a few days a week, and what sort of commission he hopes to earn, just to have some extra money to spend in retirement).

You have to understand, this is the man who used to be so drunk any other time I'd call that he was either utterly incoherent or else just a weeping blubbering mass of protoplasm.

14 minutes on the phone, only 1 minute with my mother, and 13 minutes with him, and he actually sounded like his life was doing very well now... and he actually responds to things I say.

Life is just weird. As far as a lifetime of Father's Days with him goes:
    Best. Father's Day. Ever!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    I called my dad and it was still surreal.

He was entirely sober.
    He has been doing an amazing amount of yardwork on their 3/4 acre of land.
    They have cut down a lot of the overgrown maples and other trees that were just crowding things in the yard... enough so that the large plot where we used to have a garden as kids is now being used as such.
    (Yes, he laid down black plastic and is growing everything from potatoes and peas and asparagus to corn and tomatoes and melons.)
    He's been cleaning out the old garages and sheds full of collected junk (metal machinery pieces, old door frames, just so much... CRAP... my solution upon his death would have been to soak down the place and then toss in a match.

And despite having started receiving his SS early, he is starting back to work today with an insurance company... but told me that he's happy because he believes in the product, has confidence he'll be able to sell it, and is being realistic about what he wants (a few days a week, and what sort of commission he hopes to earn, just to have some extra money to spend in retirement).

You have to understand, this is the man who used to be so drunk any other time I'd call that he was either utterly incoherent or else just a weeping blubbering mass of protoplasm.

14 minutes on the phone, only 1 minute with my mother, and 13 minutes with him, and he actually sounded like his life was doing very well now... and he actually responds to things I say.

Life is just weird. As far as a lifetime of Father's Days with him goes:
    Best. Father's Day. Ever!
    That's wonderful. I'm happy for you.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    That's wonderful. I'm happy for you.
    Thanks. I'm mostly happy for him and my mom. After 40 years of hell, it's nice to see them enjoying their remaining time together.

[And despite his seemingly positive progress, I decided to avoid confusing matters with the whole, "Daddy, I want to be a girl" routine. I don't want him to go back to drinking just yet...]
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

only bites when provoked
    MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    hmmm, does Hallmark make cards for "Worthless Male Genetic Donor Day"?
    If there's a card for every occasion, I just wonder...
    For the record, however: Even if I wasn't on the move yesterday and I didn't end up here, where I have a convenient excuse, I still wouldn't call him.
    I 100%, N 88%, T 88%, J 75%

Disclaimer: The above is my opinion and mine alone, it does not mean I cannot change my mind, nor does it guarantee that my comments are related to any deep-seated convictions. Take everything I say with a whole snowplow worth of salt and call me in the morning, if you can.