User Tag List

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: How many of you don't celebrate you birthdays?

Twerking & Lurking Array ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    4w3 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by stalemate View Post
    I know lots of people who haven't had a successful birthday since they turned 29.
    Oh I'm sure the only reason they all came was because we went to chuck e. cheese. No one can deny that rat.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

I celebrate birthdays and unbirthdays.
    "Create like a god, command like a king, work like a slave."

6w5 sp/sx

I'm pretty lame about celebrating my birthday, but it's mostly because of when it is. My birthday is January 3rd. By then, after Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's...everybody's a little partied out (and broke ). Plus, it's the dead of winter, and there's not a ton to do.

Usually, I just end up going around town and getting all the free stuff you can get on your birthday (free birthday pizza! ), and then I hang out with my family and/or a few of my friends.

I really like celebrating other peoples' birthdays, though.

Quote Originally Posted by kelric View Post
    The best gift for me on my birthday, quite frankly, is a simple "Happy Birthday!" and no other mention of it.
    Oh yes, that is perfect. If it's sincere, that is. In my opinion, wishing somebody a happy birthday and really mean it is a sign of appreciation of having that person be a part of your life and that is something so positive that no other material gift can top that.

I celebrate with family to satisfy their expectations (id est I have no other choice). With friends I didn't celebrate my birthday since 3th or 4th grade or something like that, I cannot remember.

I am a bit undecided about that whole concept. I am not a person who likes too much attention at the same time by too many people. I would rather like to know that people care about me in general over the time in rational amounts, not only one day in a year for a sudden burst. Still it is some tradition, and I wouldn't feel good either if people totally ignore me on my birthday, and I like giving my friends the attention for their birthday.

Then I also don't know who I would invite. Most of my friends didn't celebrate their birthday mostly either. Then there were also those people who invite like 50 people to a birthday (especially 18th birthday), where I know it wouldn't even make a difference if I don't appear there. Could never want to have such a birthday with so many people. Most of those same people if they did a smaller birthday would in fact not invite me probably anyway.

When I combine the conclusions out of that plus the fact that I have had a massive general trust problem in the past years, I don't know who I could even invite so I can be sure all those people honestly would like to appear on my birthday because it is MY birthday, thus are really my friends. There was only very few people where I was really sure I could say so and more people where I was not sure, so I don't know... not doing any birthday at all seemed the "easiest" way to avoid any misunderstandings.

Sometimes I think I should just let things happen easily and not make too much thought about such things, seeing them more natural, but well.

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    This should totally be merged with my birthday thread!

Having been forced to not celebrate my birthdays or Christmas or any friggin thing else as a kid due to having Jehovah's Witnesses in the woodpile, for me celebrating them now is like a statement and celebration of my having broken free from all that shite. As well as just, y'know, fun.

Sounds like you just swapped one lot of 'shite' (your perception) for a bigger pile called the 'commercial system'. Freedom? Seems celebrating your birthday under these circumstances is more about rebellion than freedom. Don't you know you've just been sucked into a different vortex.
    'It's the question that drives us, Neo. It's the question that brought you here.... The answer is out there, Neo, and it's looking for you, and it will find you if you want it to.' Trinity

Agent Brown: 'Perhaps we are asking the wrong questions.'

'Maybe the questions are right, we just don't like the answers'

I don't celebrate my birthdays either. Not because I dislike interiorizing that I've grown older (like most people), but because I don't see it as a special day unlike any other.

That being said, why would I stop anyone celebrating my birthday? They're having fun, there's no point in turning friends and family down.
    I just go with the flow.