User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

I have never celebrated my birthday and have no intentions of doing so. Actually, my birthday was 2 days ago. I avoid people at all cost during that time. Yep, I agree. I don't need a reserved day for someone to show me that they care, with presents.
    Inside my empty bottle I was constructing a lighthouse, while all the others were making ships. ~Charles Simic

Enneagram 4w5 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial one View Post
    Question.

Do you like presents because of what do you get or you like to know that other people love you?(Let say that everybody are honest)

Or you like both?
    What I get. I already know people love me (arrogant tone unintended). Presents and free food are nice but completely unneccessary.

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Birthdays...

I only read a few posts so Ill just give my two cents out of context to what you are discussing specifically about birthdays..
    Birthdays are vain. A whole day dedicated to ME ME ME. I remember many birthdays of my friends where they go around like they should have olive leaves thrown down on the ground they walk, all attention given to them. No one can say a word against them or they are "BEING MEAN TO ME ON .....MY Birthday WAAAAAAA" When it is my birthday i usually try to keep it on the dl but i always end up being "surprised" by a bunch of strangers and lackeys who want to "celebrate" with me...by eating my food and giving me useless crap that I'll never use. For instance, today is my birthday, and i just wanted to sit in my room and read, but NO, my mother had to tell everyone (I live with my parents) and now I have to hear the cacophony of congratulations and well wishers who will come over and expect me to be jubilant and proud...of being born...what a ripoff

Birthdays shouldn't be about the person who was born on that day, that is ridiculous, it should be about the people who were involved in allowing me to be here, my mom and my dad, I should have a day full of servitude and humility in reverence to them and God for allowing me to come into existence, celebrating my life like I won an Oscar, what a joke, what a big vain disgusting waste of time, Birthdays make me sick...

MBTI
    INxJ

I thought I was a lone freaking weirdo. I guess that's still true, but it's nice to know there are others that behave in a similar manner. I do not like to celebrate my b'day. It makes me uncomfortable to be the center of attention and it only reminds me I'm a year closer to dying.

Why is the speeding onslaught of senescence something to celebrate?

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx
    Socionics
    LIE

Quote Originally Posted by 01011010 View Post
    I thought I was a lone freaking weirdo. I guess that's still true, but it's nice to know there are others that behave in a similar manner. I do not like to celebrate my b'day. It makes me uncomfortable to be the center of attention and it only reminds me I'm a year closer to dying.

Why is the speeding onslaught of senescence something to celebrate?
    humans are a barbaric creature that thrive on destruction and applesauce
    beware
    I N V I C T U S

MBTI
    GONE

I think it makes sense to feel discomfort at being the center of attention or rather -- having the EXPECTATION in the air that you are the 'birthday boy' or 'girl'. I know I used to feel uncomfortable thinking other people thought I had an expectation that they make a to-do about my birthday. It can be awkward. And there's always that adolescent nightmare that you have a party -- and no one shows up! <--figuratively and literally.

I used to avoid celebrating my birthday when I was depressed because, well, I was depressed. Birthdays especially made me depressed. Even moreso than the clingiest, most desperately romantic unwillingly SINGLE person on Valentine's. I think I've seriously shut myself in my room to cry on my birthday before, and I almost never cry. Especially spontaneously. That was a bad place to be.

But now?

Bump that!

I'm comfortable being public and even joyful about my birthday i.e. my life, and more importantly, comfortable asking friends and those in my life to not only acknowledge it but celebrate with me -- because I feel confident and content in those bonds with my friend and loved ones and reassured in people's authentic feelings towards me, and I to them. And I'm more at peace with myself and what I've done (or haven't) in my life.

[okay, this might veer into cheesy territory -- bear with me]

So, no, I don't think birthdays have to be or are necessarily disgusting egotistical cries for attention.

It's just another way that people assert, "I am here. I'm glad to be here. I deserve to be here. Hopefully I'll be here same time next year."

And honestly, I am here, I am very glad to be here, I for sure deserve to be here, and yes, I hope to be here again same time next year (and after that) but even better and progressed as a person.

Birthdays are also another ritual or rite just like weddings, funerals, and major holidays to mark the passage of time, acknowledge people and connections, and reassure/re/establish social blah blah blah in the midst of change.

Plus, I like parties. And cake. And ice cream. And ice cream cake.

I don't really do presents and haven't in a while. I'd rather that everyone have a good time and perhaps I could even introduce some people to each other. I think that's what birthdays are about too if you have a fete. Bringing your microcosm all together around you in one room. And hopefully you're happy to be alive and everyone else is too. Happy, I mean...to be alive.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

It can be awkward. And there's always that adolescent nightmare that you have a party -- and no one shows up! <--figuratively and literally.
    Are you serious?

Plus, I like parties. And cake. And ice cream. And ice cream cake
    I trully don't see what people see in cakes. For me it was always the most distasteful food there is. I did not have my birthdays but I was invited to some as a kid and shocked many parents with my avoiding of cakes.

I am sorry, cakes are not my call.

Lets see what some other people have to say.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None

My birthday is a nice excuse to buy myself stuff and get my husband to take me to Cracker Barrel for lunch.

I hate being the mom for birthdays, though. The kids sometimes want to do a party and I agree on the condition that they help clean the house beforehand and then they don't help and I get all stressed out and cranky. I try to avoid that scenario at all costs now. Taking a few friends to the dollar movie and Baskin-Robbins is more my speed.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

L'anima non dimora Donna Cecilia's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9
    Socionics
    LII

Me. Since I finished highschool, and during technical, and now, University, my birthday date is among the Finals period (December), so it´s very hard that I can do something to get my friends together (they also study) and celebrate.

It´s not that I don´t like doing so.

"An intelligent hell would be better than a stupid paradise."
    Victor Hugo

LII/INTj (Analyst) - 1w9 Sp/Sx - RC|O|EI - Melancholy/Choleric