User Tag List

First 123 Last

Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Birthdays

  1. #11
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    !!! Haha, I've been given a few of those in my time... they've all gone out of date with 99% of the pages empty, never having been taken out of the drawer
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  2. #12
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    !!! Haha, I've been given a few of those in my time... they've all gone out of date with 99% of the pages empty, never having been taken out of the drawer
    I always found the lines and plain paper useful but what's the fun of those sheets where someone's written dates all over them? What a waste.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  3. #13
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    My old friend from high school always got her parents gifts even when she was a little kid and her parents seriously were offended if she didn't. Like you know, she was 12 and had to wash dishes and clean the car and stuff to get $2 a week and they'd insist it was her duty to get them 'suitable' gifts (silk tie, CD etc) on their birthdays, which were within a week of each other!!

    Crazy, maaan.

    I mean I like it if my kids make me a cute 'happy birthday dad' card, but no way would I be making them spend all their pocket money on me.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  4. #14
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Shit, how can I find out my roommate's birthday with only I don't know how many weeks to spare? Damn it!
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  5. #15
    Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    1,126

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    My old friend from high school always got her parents gifts even when she was a little kid and her parents seriously were offended if she didn't. Like you know, she was 12 and had to wash dishes and clean the car and stuff to get $2 a week and they'd insist it was her duty to get them 'suitable' gifts (silk tie, CD etc) on their birthdays, which were within a week of each other!!

    Crazy, maaan.

    I mean I like it if my kids make me a cute 'happy birthday dad' card, but no way would I be making them spend all their pocket money on me.
    Ah man that is mean. You always give the kids gift money to spend on the other parent- or encourage making a hand made gift- or just doing the chores for a day,lol.
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

  6. #16
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by runvardh View Post
    Shit, how can I find out my roommate's birthday with only I don't know how many weeks to spare? Damn it!
    Ah, I've got this one down to a fine art. The friend whose birthday you roughly know what month it's in, but not the day. And: how to remember birthdays (or at least look like you do). The bluffers' guide.

    1. Ask someone in casual conversation when their birthday is. A good kicker-off is if you can have a newspaper or magazine and say you want to read their horoscope. Go on, just a bit of fun, you can say, no I don't believe in it either but it's always a laugh eh?
    2. Now you have their birthday or at least their star sign. You can talk about that and get a good mental image of them with their star sign. If you know about star sign characteristics this will really help you remember theirs. If you don't and don't care, just remember the month. Think of them as a summer baby, a spring baby, whatever helps you remember roughly the time of year.
    3. When the beginning of their 'season' is nigh, get them a gift. On the first day of said season, give them the gift.
    4. The key thing, the really key thing about bluffing that you remembered their birthday is to say when you give them the gift: "Hey, I know it's your birthday soon, I got you this and I thought I'd give you it now because yeah, I know it's a bit early but I might be away on the day and won't be able to give it to you, so to make sure I don't forget. Don't open it until your birthday!"

    Person is fooled

    This is only necessary if you don't have a handy person who is bound to know (a close relative of theirs for example) on hand.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  7. #17
    Senior Member Grayscale's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2007
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    1,962

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    I discourage gifts/fuss for my birthday. I don't go out to celebrate, and for gifts I got a bottle of liquor from my dad and a necklace from my bf this year, and that was enough for me. My mom says she'll get me something when she can afford it but I don't really care. I would be happy if my friends got me a cheap little gift or a card, though they typically don't, and I don't expect them. I'd be unhappy if a friend got me a more expensive present.

    This is why I get annoyed when people expect a big fuss for their birthdays, although I realize that's unfair, most people aren't like that, etc.

    It is lame that your step-dad didn't do anything for his wife's birthday though.
    my thoughts almost exactly, except i got a bracelet from my boyfriend!

    if someone wants to do something for me, i would far prefer it to be just for the sake of it rather than because of a holiday or birthday. if someone sincerely cares about you, then they'll show it through their sacrifices. from someone who has very little, a gift could mean a lot, but generally it's time and attention.

  8. #18
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Ah, I've got this one down to a fine art. The friend whose birthday you roughly know what month it's in, but not the day. And: how to remember birthdays (or at least look like you do). The bluffers' guide.

    1. Ask someone in casual conversation when their birthday is. A good kicker-off is if you can have a newspaper or magazine and say you want to read their horoscope. Go on, just a bit of fun, you can say, no I don't believe in it either but it's always a laugh eh?
    2. Now you have their birthday or at least their star sign. You can talk about that and get a good mental image of them with their star sign. If you know about star sign characteristics this will really help you remember theirs. If you don't and don't care, just remember the month. Think of them as a summer baby, a spring baby, whatever helps you remember roughly the time of year.
    3. When the beginning of their 'season' is nigh, get them a gift. On the first day of said season, give them the gift.
    4. The key thing, the really key thing about bluffing that you remembered their birthday is to say when you give them the gift: "Hey, I know it's your birthday soon, I got you this and I thought I'd give you it now because yeah, I know it's a bit early but I might be away on the day and won't be able to give it to you, so to make sure I don't forget. Don't open it until your birthday!"

    Person is fooled

    This is only necessary if you don't have a handy person who is bound to know (a close relative of theirs for example) on hand.
    Well, I've actually been to a birthday of his before (last year). His birthday is this month and he's a Libra so that means I have a week and a half target so far. My roommate is an ENTP though, so I'm not sure how easily fooled he'll be.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  9. #19
    Senior Member sciski's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    NSFW
    Enneagram
    6w7
    Posts
    468

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ladypinkington View Post
    My mother always made my birthdays really special. We were poor as church mice but she managed to make my birthdays really special and I would get my heart's desire. She would make me feel so important in every way. She would do special things with me like take me to a movie and out to eat and make it exciting and would make over me. She would always get me wonderful presents- I never knew I was poor because of how special special occassions were. I don't know how she did it.
    That sounds absolutely wonderful! You have inspired me to try harder! That's the kind of birthday gift I'm talking about though, where you make someone feel totally special by really knowing what would make them happy and giving it to them!

    I live 3+ hours away from my parents, and know that going to visit them and having dinner with them is what makes them incredibly happy. My sister hasn't quite grasped this--she keeps showering them with expensive gifts that are more appropriate for her husband (he would be over the moon with those gifts!) My parents instead receive the gifts with polite bafflement. Ah well, she did give them grandchildren, so I guess you really can't top that!

    Now he is wonderful. Communication is everything. I told him what I needed in order to feel happy on my birthday- and now we make wish lists for each other so that we still won't know what we are getting but we know it is going to be somethng we'll like
    ....
    Basically he makes the card into a love letter.
    Awww! Yes, I agree that communication is key--if you have a need, state it, don't do the guilt trip! The other person generally has no clue what you want anyway.

    those cards are my biggest treasure. I keep them with me- whenever I feel unloved by the world and am having a horrible day I read those cards and it uplifts me so much.
    Tell me about it!

    My b-day is coming up- I am afraid that this will be the saddest birthday I have ever had. Nothing to do with hubby- he'll make it a nice day for me- there are just other things going on that I won't go into.


    Quote Originally Posted by substitute
    I know how, when it's my birthday, though I'm not offended if people dont' get me anything or don't remember, it does kinda make me feel sad and a bit like, y'know, I'm not important enough to anyone, even if I rationally know that's garbage i can't help feeling a bit dejected. So I don't like the thought of other people feeling like that.
    Hmmm, thinking back on my last birthday, I had a bit of a gloom and doom thing happening the day before, because I thought nobody remembered and thus nobody cared. I was Ms Miserable! When my birthday came around, one of my good friends took me out to dinner where I moped a little bit more about how nobody really cared about me (except him). Then of course when I get home, all my friends threw a surprise party for me, making me feel like a Grade A Ungrateful Idiot! But a very happy one nevertheless.

    Ah what the hell, I love birthdays... maybe I just don't understand expensive gifts. I prefer personal, targeted gifts.

  10. #20
    Magical Firelie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5
    Posts
    836

    Default

    Dude, it's MY mom's birthday today, too! I still have yet to call her, though.

    And yes, your step-dad IS lame. Your mother should slap him.

Similar Threads

  1. OMG HAPPY BIRTHDAY IVY!!!
    By Brendan in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 35
    Last Post: 05-19-2011, 12:36 AM
  2. Happy Birthday, HereandNow!
    By Lurker in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 16
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 10:33 PM
  3. Happy Birthday Lurker!
    By Haight in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 24
    Last Post: 05-28-2007, 10:32 PM
  4. HAPPY BIRTHDAY, CAREBEAR!!!
    By Carebear in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 30
    Last Post: 05-02-2007, 07:38 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO