User Tag List

First 45678 Last

MBTI
    INXP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    And of course there was Fran in '96 which dropped a giant oak on my car.
    Oh yeah, I remember Fran. I expect the oak was a govt conspiracy

/old timers joke.

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Quote Originally Posted by kyuuei View Post
    Back then I was so fasinated I wanted to stand out there and look on, since the wind was so hard.. its a very vivid memory in my head, since it's the only time Ive seen the skies like that and I've loved storms since I was little (maybe I should have posted "Storm chasing" as a potential ENFP job in that other thread...) but thinking back on it that could have been terrible for our home and everything.
    I remember out running a storm through downtown trying to get home. I sat under a trestle looking at the menacing wall of clouds on one side and dishwater/grey/green sky on the other. I didn't like my prospects. I got home to find the roof leaking in the bathroom.

Quote Originally Posted by Lateralus View Post
    Those are pretty cool cool, but without the threat of death, not as exciting for me.
    What if the storm chased you with a pitchfork?

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    My mom said yesterday how it was funny/ironic how hurricane Hanna (which is the name of my psycho ex-gf) wasn't even supposed to come this way but is landing directly on me now, apparently.

Funny, mom!

Oh and my sister made a comment as well. haha
    Oh, so we have YOU to thank for this! *unleashes the flying monkeys... only tells them to take a bus because of the high wind threat...*
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

MBTI
    ISTP

I'll be watching it...4-8 inches of rain and winds up to 50mph from the forecast for my area I saw (Central NJ). I'm not concerned about it, just moved some lawn furniture around, and that's about it for preparations.
    I-95%, S-84%, T-89%, P-84%

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    I don't mind them so much because you get plenty of warning. But the losing power part does blow.

My daughter was born a couple of days before Floyd in '99. We had to tape up our windows and head West with a 2-day-old baby. Frontier times, man. And of course there was Fran in '96 which dropped a giant oak on my car.
    After Fran, my Agent Orange acts up when they say the word "hurricane". All through that storm, we could hear trees twisting and cracking, and then hitting the ground. When we finally we able to come outside, with the sunrise, the whole neighborhood was completely walled in my giant old trees, and a couple of the houses had been cleaved in half. The only reason our house was spared was because the large tree across the street fell over the road and our old oak tree caught it and prevented it from coming through our roof, though it did rock our oak back on its roots.

MBTI
    INtP

Ouch - stay safe, Hanna/Ike folks! We don't get that sort of stuff here (although The Hurricane Formerly Known As Gustav dumped a couple inches of rain on us the other day). I have seen the "midwest green sky" thing, though. Weird... One day it was noon, and the sky was a dark, almost olive green. Eerie.

Power outages (especially extended ones) do suck . Here the culprit is usually ice storms. Ugh.

I hope everyone comes through the storms ok!

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I hope business aren't closing in Raleigh tomorrow because of this. I need to pick up a bday present for my daughters friend.

We used to have hurricane parties when I lived in Miami. In fact the night before Andrew we were out on south beach all night and into the morning. I was so exhausted when Andrew hit, but I'll tell ya that adrenaline is a powerful thing. Woke my ass right up and into panic freaked out mode especially when all the windows in the house blew out simultaneously. :eek:
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ENTP

this is crazy shit man. I've got 2 sisters, 2 nieces, 2 nephews and 2 great nephews over in NC around the Raleigh area. I guess my family emmigrates in two's eh? Maybe the captain of the plane was called Noah or something...

Anyway, I just can't fathom, having lived all my life in clement, temperate climates with no extreme weather going on besides the odd tree blown down in March, what it must be like to live in places where big tornados and shit happen. Or why anyone would choose to...
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Looks like we had some light rain here earlier, and it's warm/humid (tropical-like) outside. w00t!
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

Quote Originally Posted by Geoff View Post
    Ooops. 2pm Sunday is about where my new holiday cottage is. Whoops!
    Do you have a management company that minds it when no one is there that could possibly stop by? I am assuming when you say new holiday cottage, that this is a recently acquired property?

Here's a good tracker for all three storms. If you click on browse, then category five storms, you can view the paths of all past cat 5's (very cool). I've got my eye on Ms. Josephine for next weekend. I hope she heads elsewhere or we may be postponing our trip.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Yup, we've got a trip planned to visit my mother and sister in the Lake City, Fl. area mid-september. They don't live on the coast anymore, thank goodness, (as far as the worst of the storms go) but still. They got hammered a couple of years ago when they lived in Stuart and Port St. Lucie respectively. They were without power for weeks. My mother had a breathing problem where she needs oxygen from time to time (asbestosis) so my sister had to get a generator (thank goodness for Home Depot) where they sold her one at cost.

Here's hopin'. Take care everybody.
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~