User Tag List

123 Last

Oberon

Default Ghost Stories (and Other Tales of the Uncanny)

Hey y'all...

While decried and derided by Materialists and Theists alike, the good old-fashioned real-life ghost story is in no danger of fading away. Whether it's caused by a psychological phenomenon, a reflection of Venus, a burp of swamp gas, or a genuine eldritch horror from beyond the grave, the idea that the spirit world exists and occasionally intersects with our own is persistent.

I'm agnostic on the matter myself. However, I love a good story. If you have a tale to tell that fits this category, by all means post it here!

MBTI
    XNXP

And here I thought you might want examples of good supernatural fiction to read when I saw the thread title. I know a lot of these.

True stories ? I don't have much for you there. However....

I met a guy once at a Borders book store who volunteered an interest in hearing from me when I tracked down the answer to a question that I had asked of the store employee, when we all met in the classical CD aisle. It concerned an obscure composer who was associated with Rachmaninoff. After the employee left, this man had also said that he wanted to get together socially sometime, as it turned out we had a number of mutual interests. I got the name of the composer a week or two later and called, but didn't reach him right away. As usual, I didn't leave messages. ( People always want to return the call at a time that is inconvenient for me, I've noticed. ) Another month went by with me occasionally giving him a try. I finally reached him and we yakked for a while on the phone. He no longer seemed that interested in the obscure composer, but I told him who it was anyway, and we then talked of other things, ( of cabbages and kings ) and he ultimately told me to get back to him after the Xmas holidays pertinent to visiting one another. I noticed during the talk that he had a stutter, that he was interested in issues of Christian theology, and that he did not want to give me an email addy for an odd reason. He said that someone had burned him via the use of the email addy before. I asked if it was a trojan or identity theft or something. He said it was not one of those things but that he didn't want to explain it further. I dropped the request and said no more on the subject. He said that he might be able to help me get into the field of freelance writing, for one of the companies that hired him to do the same thing. I have some background in writing but have never been able to use it vocationally in any way that allows me to build a "portfolio" and so this was of interest.

I waited until New Years was over and tried calling back but the result was always the same. A voice mail of a woman answered, and mentioned nothing about the person I was calling. I finally left a message for the name of the guy I had been talking to at this same number before. The message was not returned. I left another a few weeks later, and it was not returned either. Finally I left one a couple weeks after that saying that I would like the person who was receiving these messages to call me and explain why I couldn't speak to Mr. so and so, still using the name he had given me.

A day or two later I got a call from a woman who explained that it was her number I was reaching and that the person I was asking for had been her man, and that he had died two years ago. I told her that the man I had reached at that same number recently had used this name and had been alive. I mentioned his stutter. She offered no possible explanation or recognition ( or non-recognition ) of the stutter. There it ended.

Was the call to me from the woman actually the guy I had spoken to, disguising his voice as a woman ? Was she someone that the person I spoke with wanted to use as a foil ? It all seemed weird enough that I thought "If this is not supernatural, then I'm dealing with a real psycho, and so I might as well let it go."

I have only one other "supernatural" experience.
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

Oberon

I have never experienced anything myself that I could definitely term uncanny, but I have had a few moments that made me go "hmmm..."

...like the time I was about fourteen, and our cat Fluff was sleeping on my bed. Fluff was technically a family cat, but in truth she was my cat, or rather I was her human. She had picked me, for whatever reason. She was a long-haired calico with big green eyes, really beautiful.

So I awaken one night... actually it was about 3 a.m.... to the sound of Fluff growling. She was huddled up next to me and looking out through the doorway of my room into the hallway beyond. The whole house was quiet, and the only light was from the streetlight shining in through my bedroom window. Fluff continued to stare fixedly into the hallway and growl.

This was unusual in the extreme. Fluff never growled.

I was spooked. I calmed the cat by petting her and speaking soothingly to her, and presently she quieted and went back to sleep; and so did I.

Oh, and here's a story about the Lyric Theater, in Blacksburg, Virginia. I have watched movies in the Lyric and I took a class in the Lyric, and it's a fine old classic cinema house. The story is written by a fellow named Joel Furr, who coincidentally lived in an apartment on Progress Street in Blacksburg one tenant before me. I used to get some of his mail from time to time.

Ghosts of the Lyric

MBTI
    xNTJ

My own experiences? Well, I don't have anything really spooky, but I lived in a couple of apartments that definitely made me believe in ghosts.

When I lived in Jacksonville Beach, I lived in an apartment with two roommates. At various times in the day, we would see our front door open long enough for someone to walk through, and close after enough time had passed for someone to walk through it. And then a few seconds later, the love beads that were hanging in the entrance to the hallway would move like someone was walking through them.

The door used to get left open until we complained continuously to whatever "it" was that leaving the door open let out the A/C and cost us too much money, with the added suggestion that we wouldn't be able to afford to live there if it continued. Then the door started closing after it spontaneously opened.

Weird, but not scary.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Fluff saw something. Animals can sense things that we cannot.

Enyo ~ Truly weird!
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by AllAboutSoul View Post
    Fluff saw something. Animals can sense things that we cannot.
    Meh. Could have just been a piece of spoiled cabbage and a spot of indigestion, as Scrooge would say! (Was his kitty a vegetarian?)

COME on -- MORE GHOST STORIES!!!!!
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx

I'm still trying to figure out a logical explanation to one of my experiences.
    When i lived at home with my parents, i used the bathroom that was closest to my room, and some creepy things always happened in there, but they would only happen to me, so no one ever believed me.

the scariest thing that would happen is when the lights in the bathroom would go out. I could be sitting on the toilet, taking care of business, and i could look at the light switch, and it would flip off. It was really scary at night, and even more scary when it was at night and i was in the shower. I told my dad about it, and he called an electrician, because he was afraid there was some problems with the wiring, but the electrician said everything was fine, but it continued to happen, and only to me.

Another thing that kind of freaked me out is that a painting that was hanging in the bathroom would constantly fall down when i was in the bathroom. There were seriously 8 people living in my damn house, and it never happened to anyone else. My stepmom would yell at me, because she thought i was purposely doing something to knock the picture down. It seemed to be attached fairly well to the wall, so i couldn't understand or explain why it would fall off. It would fall almost every time i was in the bathroom, eventually the glass covering broke, so it was taken down and a new painting replaced it, and it never fell off the wall, ever. I guess someone didn't like the painting. I don't blame he/she/it for not liking the painting, it was horrible.

What pisses me off the most is that my stepmother never believed me when i told her this stuff, but she expected me to believe her when she said that my little sister could see ghosts. pshhhh
    INFP 4w5
    facebook
    The pain won't let me get away.

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    COME on -- MORE GHOST STORIES!!!!!
    *sigh* If you insist....

This is one of the ones that my grandma used to tell me. My daddy had his own take on it, of course.

My grandma, my biological grandfather (never met him, I had a step-grandfather that was my granddaddy) and my dad lived in a log cabin in Silver Springs, Florida. My dad was about 12 years old at the time.

Grandma and the family had just moved into this house. It's late at night, and Grandma and Grandpa were curled up in bed. Grandma heard this "thump, thump, thump" sound... like someone wearing heavy work boots was running up the stairs in the middle of the night.

She woke up my grandfather to make him go check on it. The stairwell and hall were empty. He went back to bed grumbling the she had made him get out of bed for nothing.

But later that night, she heard "thump, thump, thump" again.... This time, it was the sound of someone running down the stairs. Once again, she woke my grandfather. He went out and checked, and found the hall empty again.

This went on for months. On Christmas eve, Grandma had put a bike out downstairs, leaning against the bottom of the stairs. Daddy new that it was supposed to be waiting for him on Christmas morning.

That night, she heard those heavy work boots going up and down the stairs again. In the morning, my dad's bike was gone.

Grandma always swore that the man in the boots took my daddy's bike away. My dad always swore that his father stole it and sold it for booze.

You be the judge.

Either way, they moved shortly after that. And my grandma and my dad always swore that house really was haunted.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I was in a bike race and one of my teammates and I touched wheels--he went down, which I claim 50% responsibility for. By the time he got it together we were way behind the pack, and trading pulls trying to catch up. At one point I was behind him and I swear I felt someones hand on my back, aiding my forward travel. That's something cyclists do when someone's tired. But there was no one there. It was eerie, and if I were already religious I would have just assumed it was divine intervention.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Enyo View Post
    The door used to get left open until we complained continuously to whatever "it" was that leaving the door open let out the A/C and cost us too much money, with the added suggestion that we wouldn't be able to afford to live there if it continued. Then the door started closing after it spontaneously opened.
    I love the idea that ghosts are susceptible to 3way nag-campaigns. Did it start leaving the toilet seat up?