User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    xNTJ

Quote Originally Posted by JivinJeffJones View Post
    I love the idea that ghosts are susceptible to 3way nag-campaigns. Did it start leaving the toilet seat up?
    Never went in the bathroom. It went in my room, though. *shrugs* We had this theory that as long as it didn't fuck with us, it was okay.

Edited to add: ph34r the power of my awesome nag.
    "If you can't be a good example, you'll just have to serve as a horrible warning." Catherine Aird

It's always something... PuddleRiver's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w6

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    Meh. Could have just been a piece of spoiled cabbage and a spot of indigestion, as Scrooge would say! (Was his kitty a vegetarian?)

COME on -- MORE GHOST STORIES!!!!!
    There you go...you...you...SPOILER! :steam:
    "In the depth of winter, I finally learned that within me there lay one invincible summer."
    ~~~~
    A Christian's life may be the only Bible some people ever read.
    ~~~~
    "The first time someone shows you who they are, believe them" Maya Angelou.
    ~~~~
    I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. Your Christians are so unlike your Christ" Gandhi
    ~~~~

MBTI
    ISFJ

I have a pretty good ghost story. I used to live in Connecticut, quite near the famous ghost hunters Ed and Lorraine Warren.

Ed and Lorraine Warren - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I am pretty skeptical of ghosts, but Ed Warren (who has since passed away) could really spin a good yarn. He maintained a museum of ghost lore on his property, and in exchange for a relatively small amount of money he would show you his collection and tell you wonderful stories. He was a funny and charming man, and I dearly missed him when he passed away. I also met Lorraine, and she has since been on many TV shows but Ed was the one who always showed me around.

So, I would ask Ed for advice on how to explore some of the haunted places that he investigated. He would of course never tell you explicitly how to break into these places, but he'd tell you how NOT to gain access. In particular, I liked exploring a place known as Dudleytown or Owlsbury.

Dudleytown, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following Ed's non-advice, me and my girlfriend of the time parked about a kilometer outside of the Dark Entry Forest, and hiked into the ruins of Dudleytown.

Let me tell you, that place is freaky.

It's in the shadow of three mountains. The ground has large iron deposits under the soil, which attract lightning strikes. The trail we hiked in on was surrounded by dead and shattered trees.

When we got into the old town, you could still see where the streets were and where the property lines were marked with ye olde New England stone walls. Even two hundred years later, you could tell where the buildings used to be. The holes for the foundations were still apparent, as well as some stone building structures. Most obvious, you could tell where the town church had been, and where the altar was.

Walking around there, the lighting was unlike anywhere else I've ever been. The sunlight came in indirectly from the gaps in the mountain peaks, which gave the place a strangely dim appearance even in the early afternoon. Also, it caused objects in the area to cast unusual shadows.

Ed Warren filled my head with stories of the ghosts of prehuman species infecting the trees of the Dark Entry Forest. Tales of murder, suicide, horrific abuse, and people abandoning the settlement in droves. The actual land does a great job of living up to your expectations of what a truly damned and cursed piece of land would look like.

Also, the weird lighting combined with the humid nature of the area's weather plays merry hell with photographs. There are plenty of photographic anomalies in my pictures from that place.

MBTI
    INFP

I mentioned Enyo's trainable ghost story to a couple of guys I work with, and they each had a couple of ghost stories of their own which I'll accept they sincerely believe. I only have time/inclination to tell one, so:

One of the guys is from Scotland originally, and told me of the time as a youngster his dad sent him out one night to pick a visiting Aunty up from the bus-stop. He got as far as his driveway and a headless woman stepped out of the shadows. He said she was dressed in a "very old-fashioned" dress. >200 years old sort of thing. He retreated in terror back into his house and told his dad, who promptly slapped him sharply in the face for making stuff up and told him to get back out there. He didn't and said he did. He mentioned what he'd seen to a few people around the neighbourhood and one woman told him the headless ghost was a fairly well-known local legend. He swears he'd never heard about it before, though. He also says that he's been afraid of the dark ever since, and has nightlights in all his rooms.

MBTI
    ENTP

I didn`t believe in ghosts until I experienced this:

My husbands family owns an old summer house. It`s around 100 years old. From the first moment I set foot there, I had a feeling of somebody (or something ?) watching me, somebody lurking in the shadows. When I was alone in the room, I was very nervous to turn around, because I was almost convinced that when I do that there will be somebody standing behind me I must also mention, that I never had such feelings outside this particular house, so this pretty much rules out the possibility of me being crazy
    I am pretty much logical person, so I disregarded the strange feelings as much as I can. Than about a year ago, something happened that really scared me. My hubby and I were alone in the house. I woke up in the middle of the night, to hear somebody walking up the stairs - our bedroom was at the first floor at the end of the wooden staircase. My first thought was, that it was my husband walking around, but than I noticed, he was happily sleeping beside me in the bed. Now I was so scared I couldn`t move. When the "person" came to the top of the stairs, he/she stopped right in front of our bedroom door (which were closed thank god-otherwise I would go crazy) and let out a really loud sigh. By this time I was really freaking out and I thought of waking up my husband (still blissfully asleep). But since after the sigh everything went silent, I felt like an idiot waking somebody up in the middle of the night because the ghost was sighing in front of my bedroom.

MBTI
    INFP

Heh, I think my experiences can maybe beat all of yours :P though I accpet that all of these could have been tricks of the light and my imagination

Ok, so, I live in an early victorian house. When my mum and dad were being shown around (even though the house has been in our family for a couple of generations) before they bought it, my dad heard a little girl scream as he came up the stairs. He didn't tell anyone this until many years later. I was about 5 when we moved in, and I got this horrible feeling when I went upstairs and I used to completely refuse to go up there on my own. This got worse when I moved from the tiny little boxroom as my bedroom into the bigger one I have now (which I am sitting in at this very moment :O xD) as I started hearing little girls laughing all the time. The scariest time was when I was coming up the stairs and heard my sister laughing in her room. I started talking to her, and was annoyed that she was ignoring me, until I realised she was downstairs with my parents.

Just to give you an idea of the kinda set up of my house, there is the main old bit (and my room is immediately on the right when you get to teh top of the stairs) and then there is a big extension on the other side of the house where we spend most of our time, which is why it can be so scary when something weird happens because there's rarely anyone within yelling-distance.

Anyway, more ghostyness. I used to have my computer right by my door, with my door open. Often, I saw silhouettes walking past on the landing, but for some reason they didn't bother me much. I mentioned this to my mum once, and she said she just got used to stepping out of the way for them to get past first. There is also a sort of flash-of-person on our back doorstep, which walks past the kitchen window every so often and gets the back door opened for it, causing much confusion. It was last spotted a few weeks ago, I saw my cousin glance over to the window and go very pale xD

Finally, the scariest. A few years ago, I was just coming out of the bathroom (upstairs) and I happened to glance towards my sisters bedroom door... and there was a little girl standing there, she looked solid but at the same time all washed out and grey, and my sisters bead curtain went disapeared into her head. Needless to say I ran, quite fast

Oh, and in case you were wondering, my mum likes history and a while ago looked into who had lived in this house before us. There was a family with about 7 little girls *DUN DUN DUUUUUUN*

Oooh, just remembered one more. In the house we lived in before this one, my mum walked in to find me and my sister (both very young at the time) in the living room in hysterics. When she asked what was so funny, we said 'The boy, he's dancing on the table!'

EDIT: I forgot the time when I was woken up in the middle of the night by someone sitting on my bed... yup, you guessed it, no one there
    Where you used to be, there is a hole in the world, which I find myself constantly walking around in the daytime, and falling into at night. I miss you like hell. ~Edna St. Vincent Millay

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    Tales of murder, suicide, horrific abuse, and people abandoning the settlement in droves. The actual land does a great job of living up to your expectations of what a truly damned and cursed piece of land would look like.
    I'll have to check this place out. I am green with envy of your access.
    Polar bears turn green after dip in zoo pond - CNN.com
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    XNXP

Quote Originally Posted by Oso Mocoso View Post
    In particular, I liked exploring a place known as Dudleytown or Owlsbury.

Dudleytown, Connecticut - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Following Ed's non-advice, me and my girlfriend of the time parked about a kilometer outside of the Dark Entry Forest, and hiked into the ruins of Dudleytown.

Let me tell you, that place is freaky.

It's in the shadow of three mountains. The ground has large iron deposits under the soil, which attract lightning strikes. The trail we hiked in on was surrounded by dead and shattered trees.

When we got into the old town, you could still see where the streets were and where the property lines were marked with ye olde New England stone walls. Even two hundred years later, you could tell where the buildings used to be. The holes for the foundations were still apparent, as well as some stone building structures. Most obvious, you could tell where the town church had been, and where the altar was.

Walking around there, the lighting was unlike anywhere else I've ever been. The sunlight came in indirectly from the gaps in the mountain peaks, which gave the place a strangely dim appearance even in the early afternoon. Also, it caused objects in the area to cast unusual shadows.

Ed Warren filled my head with stories of the ghosts of prehuman species infecting the trees of the Dark Entry Forest. Tales of murder, suicide, horrific abuse, and people abandoning the settlement in droves. The actual land does a great job of living up to your expectations of what a truly damned and cursed piece of land would look like.

Also, the weird lighting combined with the humid nature of the area's weather plays merry hell with photographs. There are plenty of photographic anomalies in my pictures from that place.
    BUMP in the night

Back to Dudleytown - Maybe you could write some stories about the place and start a business out of it. 'Twilight' fans flock to town for vampire magic - CNN.com
    "The people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them that they are being attacked and denounce the peacemakers for lack of patriotism, and exposing the country to danger. It works the same in any country."
    Reichsfuhrer Herman Goering at the Nuremburg trials.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Wow, that's really creepy Wobbly.

Um, the only ghost stories I have are very mild cases. The first one occured in my bedroom in the house I lived in until I was 12. I had a wicker shelf unit that stood in the corner of the room by my closet with the desk next to it in front of the window. Every so often out of the corner of my eye I would see an orange cat jump off the top of the wicker shelf and dart out of the room. It would repeat itself several times and then disappeared for the rest of the day. I had orange cats at the time, but they had bells on their collars so if it had been one of them I would have heard it. Besides...this one would disappear if you looked directly at it.

The others mostly involve feelings of being watched, a random touch on my shoulder while reading in the middle of the night (it was a little reassuring, tentative, and like someone wanted my attention...unfortunately whoever it was scared the crap out of me so I hid under the covers), and sensations of someone sitting on the end of my bed at night as I was falling asleep as a kid. There have also been instances of me hearing voices that weren't belonging to anyone while people were fast asleep.

Oh, and then there's the one time my brother was asleep and had these touch sensitive lamps on either side of his bed. One time, they turned themselves on in the middle of the night and woke him up. He turned them off and went back to sleep. A little while later, they woke him up again, so he unplugged them. But they woke him up AGAIN (unplugged mind you) a few minutes later. He told me he didn't go back to sleep. Not sure how much of that he embellished as he's known for doing that at times.
    "I took the one less traveled by,
    And that has made all the difference."

Robert Frost

Oberon

I feel that today I should bump this thread.