User Tag List

123 Last

Default People You Love and Admire

This is a thread for people you immensely admire and love, celebrities and non-celebrities. If you choose a celebrity, choose one you admire as a person rather than one you admire just as an artist or performer (though I admire the celebrity I'm kicking this thread off with as a person, artist and performer).

Also, I'd greatly prefer if you explained why you admire and love this person so much, even briefly. Videos of these people are much appreciated, as well as text of speeches they've made, quotes you remember them saying, some of their works of art, etc. Go crazy! Make the thread lively!

[youtube="e6m5uqROgZQ"]Michael J. Fox Interviewed by Katie Couric[/youtube]

If that video for some reason doesn't work, just click here to watch it.

I've always really liked Michael J. Fox, but this interview made me LOVE him. I especially like the part where he talks about getting very few chances in life to make a difference and being grateful for his own opportunity to do so. And the part where he talks about using stem cells to "protect the unborn who are going to be born with diabetes, who are going to be born with a genetic predisposition to Alzheimer's, or Parkinson's, or who are going to be injured as children and have spinal cord injuries." And where he says, "Where was the outcry when in-vitro fertilization started twenty years ago?" And ESPECIALLY the part at the end when he says he immensely respects and admires even those people who have carefully weighed the issue with their minds and hearts and still come up on the opposite side of the debate; I'm not actually that open-minded. The whole interview and every single thing he said was just AWESOME.

I just love this guy. God bless his little heart.

I'd still hang a poster of you on my wall, Fox.

(And for those who are tempted to discuss stem-cell research in this thread for whatever reason, this isn't really the thread for it.)
    They're running just like you
    For you, and I, wooo
    So people, people, need some good ol' love

Sniffles

Do they have to be alive?

Umm... no. Good question.
    For you, and I, wooo

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Admiration -- both men, here, William F. Buckley Jr. and Daniel Patrick Moynihan, who themselves had mutual respect.

Sniffles

My names sakes Charles Peguy of course.

Aleksandr Solzhenitsyn. RIP.

GK Chesterton

Hilaire Belloc

Fedyor Dostoevsky

Nikolai Berdyaev

Emmanuel Mounier

Søren Kierkegaard

I'll add more as they come to mind. These are some people I know considerable about their personalities and lives.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

[youtube="UcvRMHz4mb4"]Fred Rogers[/youtube]

Awesome topic.

FINE, I'll elaborate.

I grew up watching Mr. Rogers and I loved him. For a half hour every day I felt totally accepted and peaceful, and it gave me a sense of okayness that I could access the other 47 half hours of the day.

As an adult, and especially as a parent, I wish I were more like him. I know that he got angry, and felt grief and sorrow, but he dealt with it healthily. I believe that with him, what you saw was what you got. His manner of dealing with turmoil was integrated so seamlessly into his self that it must have just been automatic. He was incredibly serene but I never felt like it was inauthentic, like some other outwardly serene people.

Toonia reminds me of him, and Eileen too a little bit.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Okay, so I can see that I'm gonna need to liven this thread up a little. Hmm. Let me edit my opening post. Edit: Well, Ivy and Merk HTB () seem to have the right idea.

Thanks for the video, Merk HTB. I'm assuming, because I've barely started watching it yet, that this video contains some of your reasons for admiring these two people?

(Hahaha, I have Merk on the mind, apparently.)
    For you, and I, wooo

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

Alexander Hamilton tops my list. Yeah, he was a little crazy at the end, but that just made him more interesting.

Sniffles

I admire Thomas Jefferson.

Sniffles

Quote Originally Posted by htb View Post
    William F. Buckley Jr.
    "Now listen, you queer, stop calling me a crypto-Nazi or I will sock you in your goddamn face, and you will stay plastered."

[youtube="http://youtube.com/watch?v=nYymnxoQnf8"] William F. Buckley Jr. vs Gore Vidal[/youtube]