User Tag List

Results 1 to 9 of 9

  1. #1
    filling some space UnitOfPopulation's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Posts
    3,272

    Default Being described as unpredictable?

    Whom of you have been described as someone totally unpredictable?

    I was described as such (again) in a poker game after clearing the table with a winning bluff, winning our every-game-master-host ESTP. He just shook his head in wonder, "I read all of his signs so skillfully", and he 'knew' what I was up to. FAIL, big time. All my signs were planted. I ran one person out of the game, and the host soon after. I took the comment as a compliment of the greatest kind. Well, the core of the game is to be unpredictable while maintaining an illusion you can be predicted to some extent. Actually, I find it most efficient to mask some accidental portrayals of my emotion to some that are planted, making the audience stay on the edge of belief and disbelief.

    OTOH, when I say something like "I'll be at your place 7 o'clock to take you to the theatre", my goal standard is the opposite - it's to be totally predictable. I usually am, but I'm late often, and incline a bit on the unpredictable side, tho I'd say I'm more predictable in such dealings than 80% of the population. So.

    But then, I guess not all are described as unpredictable.

    Whom of you have been described as such, and what kind of feelings did it elicit in you?

    How about descriptions about you as someone predictable? What you think of them, then?

    How you combine the both assessments of you, with your self-assessment on the subject?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

  2. #2
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    I've been called unpredictable. It caught me off guard. What may seem like unpredictability is more often than not the result of much rumination.

    But I suppose unpredictability has nothing to do with spontaneity...

  3. #3
    Senior Member substitute's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,601

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    I've been called unpredictable. It caught me off guard. What may seem like unpredictability is more often than not the result of much rumination.
    Yes... choosing each action through a personalized process, meaning each action could be different and even contradict the previous one if new info has come to light... can be confusing for those who don't so much choose their actions as just do them as part of a routine.

    A close friend of mine is very much a creature of habit. Always sits in the same chair, moves his toothbrush the same number of times left and right, does the various parts of making a coffee all the same way, in the same order, and if a convention or routine becomes established by accident even, he'll become almost instantly enslaved to it - once when he had a cough, three times in a week when he phoned me he coughed when I picked up the phone. Forever since then, EVERY time he calls, I say hello, he says hello, and as soon as i recognize his voice I hold the phone away from my ear while he coughs loudly. Though I rib him for it, he can't help himself.

    To someone so entrenched in habit, the idea that there's no routine to my actions and that I tend to consider each moment on its own merit... I can see how he'd see me like some kind of loose canon.
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

    "When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

  4. #4
    Banned
    Join Date
    Jul 2008
    MBTI
    type
    Posts
    9,100

    Default

    I would say you are basically a creature of habit, and are predictable. You will always do the most awesome thing you can get away with at any given time. You're the man. You're the dude in the chair. We...Are merely here.

  5. #5
    resonance entropie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    entp
    Enneagram
    783
    Posts
    16,761

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Santtu View Post
    Whom of you have been described as someone totally unpredictable?

    I was described as such (again) in a poker game after clearing the table with a winning bluff, winning our every-game-master-host ESTP. He just shook his head in wonder, "I read all of his signs so skillfully", and he 'knew' what I was up to. FAIL, big time. All my signs were planted. I ran one person out of the game, and the host soon after. I took the comment as a compliment of the greatest kind. Well, the core of the game is to be unpredictable while maintaining an illusion you can be predicted to some extent. Actually, I find it most efficient to mask some accidental portrayals of my emotion to some that are planted, making the audience stay on the edge of belief and disbelief.

    OTOH, when I say something like "I'll be at your place 7 o'clock to take you to the theatre", my goal standard is the opposite - it's to be totally predictable. I usually am, but I'm late often, and incline a bit on the unpredictable side, tho I'd say I'm more predictable in such dealings than 80% of the population. So.

    But then, I guess not all are described as unpredictable.

    Whom of you have been described as such, and what kind of feelings did it elicit in you?

    How about descriptions about you as someone predictable? What you think of them, then?

    How you combine the both assessments of you, with your self-assessment on the subject?
    Off topic: have you ever thought about being an estp @santtu ?

    I cant really proof my hunch but I have read some threads of you now and some postings and you show remarkeable resemblance to my best friend in some cases. Would make you the first regulary visiting estp after all .

    I dont know what it is with predictability and entp. I usually suck at poker, because I do not get the sensory information about the other players. I can empathize with them on a friend way, but that is of no use in a poker game.

    I myself tend to loose in poker games because I do not know, how to hide my emotions from the outside, cause I am not aware in which ways they are able to notice them. I am not that much in the real world to be of any use in a poker game. I lack Extroverted Sensing.

    I dont know, of how much use Extroverted Intuition is in a poker game. Intuition after all means that you see patterns or things about a situation that have not been revealed yet. But it is always random. When you in a poker game think your opponent is bluffing, you probably have sensed little changes in his playing style or sensed a pattern in his behaviour and then you play it and hope on luck.

    Extroverted Intuition is more about filling the gaps in some kind of cheese with big holes. While poker intuition is more about profesionalism and sensing what kind of mood lies in the air and whats going on. it is more about being in touch with things that are actually real. Do you know what I mean ?

    I can be totally wrong here, it is just an idea of mine. You tend to speak and act and think often like my best friend and he is estp. But he is the only one I know, so I could be totally wrong here.
    [URL]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tEBvftJUwDw&t=0s[/URL]

  6. #6
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by entropie View Post
    Off topic: have you ever thought about being an estp @santtu ?

    I cant really proof my hunch but I have read some threads of you now and some postings and you show remarkeable resemblance to my best friend in some cases. Would make you the first regulary visiting estp after all .

    I dont know what it is with predictability and entp. I usually suck at poker, because I do not get the sensory information about the other players. I can empathize with them on a friend way, but that is of no use in a poker game.

    I myself tend to loose in poker games because I do not know, how to hide my emotions from the outside, cause I am not aware in which ways they are able to notice them. I am not that much in the real world to be of any use in a poker game. I lack Extroverted Sensing.

    I dont know, of how much use Extroverted Intuition is in a poker game. Intuition after all means that you see patterns or things about a situation that have not been revealed yet. But it is always random. When you in a poker game think your opponent is bluffing, you probably have sensed little changes in his playing style or sensed a pattern in his behaviour and then you play it and hope on luck.

    Extroverted Intuition is more about filling the gaps in some kind of cheese with big holes. While poker intuition is more about profesionalism and sensing what kind of mood lies in the air and whats going on. it is more about being in touch with things that are actually real. Do you know what I mean ?

    I can be totally wrong here, it is just an idea of mine. You tend to speak and act and think often like my best friend and he is estp. But he is the only one I know, so I could be totally wrong here.
    I never liked Swiss cheese - looks like it's time to fill some gaps!!!
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  7. #7
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    I have frequently been accused of being very random in my expression (saying stuff out of the blue). Although others have told me I'm predictable. Although I suppose that context of predictability is very important. For example, I have a very predictable lifestyle.

  8. #8
    Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    xNFP
    Posts
    6,885

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Uberfuhrer View Post
    I have frequently been accused of being very random in my expression (saying stuff out of the blue). Although others have told me I'm predictable. Although I suppose that context of predictability is very important. For example, I have a very predictable lifestyle.
    Predictability is overrated. As long as you don't jeopardize yourself or others, what's wrong with spontaneity?
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

  9. #9
    Senior Member SillyGoose's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    MBTI
    EXXP
    Posts
    243

    Default

    I've been called unpredictable more times than I can remember. Family members keep telling me that they think that I just like to be excited all the time.

    I have reasons, people. Reasons. And I did think them through. Jeez.
    "My mom told me there was a weirdo on every bus, but I never could find him." Emo Phillips

Similar Threads

  1. [Jung] Which type would most readily be described as an "active relationship-builder"?
    By Survive & Stay Free in forum Myers-Briggs Type Profiles
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 11-16-2017, 02:46 AM
  2. Replies: 38
    Last Post: 07-08-2014, 12:44 AM
  3. [SP] Any other creative SPs tired of all artists, musicians, writers being typed as Ns?
    By brainheart in forum The SP Arthouse (ESFP, ISFP, ESTP, ISTP)
    Replies: 49
    Last Post: 09-22-2009, 11:37 PM
  4. Did N women had bigger chances to be burned as witches ?
    By Virtual ghost in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 04-28-2009, 04:24 PM
  5. Mosquitos to be bred as "Flying Syringes"
    By heart in forum Science, Technology, and Future Tech
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 10-28-2008, 07:13 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO