User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

No, I haven't watched more than a very tiny fraction of all the TV and movies out there, even popular ones, and it annoys me to no end when people pop obscure (or even reasonably-well-known) movie & TV references into conversations. I'll laugh if I do happen to get it, but that's fairly rare. Hell I don't remember quotes from stuff I already have watched.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by IF3157 View Post
    No, and I find it a useless and stupid habit.
    Yeah. I guess it's a good way of figuring out if someone has similar tastes to you and that may be used as a basis for getting to know them better so if it's used in that way I suppose it's OK. *shrug*

I've been in situations where instead of TV shows and movies it's references to literary works or scientific stuff used to belittle intelligence as if by not knowing or catching these references you're not smart enough to be with these people. I can see how both instances would be used to the same effect.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

MBTI
    INTP

yes yes!!

i do this all the time in my head and when i am in a conversation i always have the urge to use an appropriate reference or quote but often stop short because the other person probably won't get it and i'll just look weird.

i think a good portion of my internal dialog resembles bumblebee from the movie transformers when his voice box or w/e wasn't working. it's all just clips jumbled together in combination ultimately resembling your underlying emotion or thought.
    I'm feeling rough, I'm feeling raw, I'm in the prime of my life.

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

"If someone asks you if you are a god, then you tell them 'YES'!"
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    INTP

I do, when I think the other person probably has similar tastes. Otherwise it's just annoying when people keep quoting things that you can't place. No one can possibly have seen all the "cool" shows out there, even if they wanted to. And they might like the show in question if you introduced them to it. It seems like a silly way to judge people.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    5x/o

Wow, JackFlak, you must be one of those obnoxious quoters.

I do quote TV as well as other things, but when I think that it enhances the conversation- brings in a specificity in a concise way (which usually coincides with the likelihood the other people know what the hell I'm talking about).

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Colors View Post
    Wow, JackFlak, you must be one of those obnoxious quoters.
    Qwyjibo, actually.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    INxJ

What is this "t.v." you speak of?