User Tag List

First 1234 Last

Yes. Pure silence. Unless there's lots of far background noise, then I prefer white noise.

MBTI
    ISFP

Yes. I like silence a lot. One of my favorite memories was on this Georgian road during winter, all alone in deep snow, early morning, everything very silent. I feel like moments like that I've had stay with me, I feel that way especially when alone in snowy areas or barren landscapes, and they are in all my moments now, like there's silence in everything. People hear that as being depressing. It isn't to me. It's freeing. Like there are extremes and if you go out to one extreme you find the other side to that extreme, in silence there's everything, in everything there is silence ... that's my feeling.
    "My comrades and my beloved, upon your way you shall meet men with hoofs; give them your wings. And men with horns; give them wreaths of laurel. And men with claws; give them petals for fingers. And men with forked tongues; give them honey words." --Kahlil Gibran, The Garden of The Prophet

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

What's not to like?

In all seriousness, it really depends on my mood. I don't like talking just for the sake of talking. Sometimes when I am around other extroverts I wish others were more comfortable sitting in silence. I love getting to the point in friendships where we can just exist in the same space without feeling the need to constantly be talking.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Luke O, themightyfetus liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP

I need a good dose of silence every day, and I often forget this.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram

I'm not sure I've/we've really experienced it. Even when it's really quiet (like in the middle of nowhere), I can still hear me breathing as well as gentle sounds in the distance. I prefer it to being overloaded with noise though.

Oh and fucking tinnitus from time to time.

breaking out of my cocoon SearchingforPeace's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE None

I love silence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Archilochus
    The fox knows many things--the hedgehog one big one.
    And I am not a hedgehog......

-------------------

Jesus said "Blessed are the peacemakers" not "blessed are the conflict avoiders.....

9w8 6w5 4w5 sx/so

----------------------

“Orthodoxy means not thinking--not needing to think. Orthodoxy is unconsciousness.”
    ― George Orwell, 1984

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    649 sp/so
    Socionics
    EII Fi

Complete silence is the only way I can go to sleep. Usually though I like a little bit of noise and find silence boring and even slightly lonely.
    "Those who do not move, do not notice their chains"
    -Rosa Luxemburg

MBTI
    STP

I prefer music, I don't have this huge need for silence. I guess that's why I always end up around talkative people, plus my quiet and reserved works good with that.
    Im out, its been fun

@Saft
    You always ask such compelling questions and with this being no exception I thought I'd join the group kinda like I'm a groupie and say that when I'm waiting for my STD results to come through I do prefer things to be fairly silent...

No, when I read over the responses in this thread I'm immediately thinking silence must be a.) a relative term or b.) a person must be physically conditioned to tolerate silence. Because true silence is actually very loud to me.

For me the award goes to "quiet with some form of entirely natural background noise"...but the background noise can't be sounds that repeat themselves over and over because I'll become distracted by an involuntary attempt on my part to interpret the patterns (I remember spending the night at a friend's when I was young and being unable to sleep and practically in tears because the exhale of her soft snore sounded as if she kept saying "fuck you" to me and I was very heartbroken by this.)

Tied for first place "quiet with a distant rolling thunderstorm" and "quiet with crashing ocean waves."
    Likes Evee, chickpea liked this post

You are what you love themightyfetus's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sx
    Socionics
    ESE Si

Yeah, I like it. Especially after a really long day. But not for too long. I often prefer to have quiet music playing.
    Yet I know, if I stepped aside
    Released the controls, you would open my eyes
    That somehow, all of this mess
    Is just my attempt to know the worth of my life

Mercury - Sleeping At Last

3w2 // 6w7 // 9w1