User Tag List

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Default Consuming Sickness

Lately I've been thinking about consuming... Everything that goes on in this world is tied to the simple act of buying stuff. It's ridiculous, how did we end up like this..? As far as getting your basic needs satisfied, it's ok, that is where we need to produce stuff and sell it. But now it is controlling world governments , spending all the resources , and slaving us . I mean... is this really worth it? Even the word "consume" sounds like bad news...

So, I've had these plans... How hard would it be to live a nice life and consume a whole lot less? You would have to work something like two months a year and still be doing just fine. Food alone costs something like 200e a month for me, and I could get it all free behind the grocery store. I could buy nice clothes from second hand market, ride a bike and so on. Why would I want to work my ass off for something I can get almost for free? Dang, are we people stupid or what?

heart on fire

A must see for anyone with questions along these lines.

Explores how Freud's theories have been used to create desires and wants in people that may very well at times overshadow needs.

The Century of Self

"To many in both politics and business, the triumph of the self is the ultimate expression of democracy, where power has finally moved to the people. Certainly the people may feel they are in charge, but are they really?

The Century of the Self tells the untold and sometimes controversial story of the growth of the mass-consumer society in Britain and the United States. How was the all-consuming self created, by whom, and in whose interests?

The Century of the Self asks deeper questions about the roots and methods of modern consumerism, representative democracy and its implications. It also questions the modern way we see ourselves, the attitude to fashion and superficiality.

The business and, increasingly, the political world uses PR to read and fulfill our desires, to make their products or speeches as pleasing as possible to us..."

Do you mean consumerism as in having a gas guzzling SUV, big house with a home theater and a pool, lots of status symbols and generally living in gross excess? Or are you talking about consumer economies vs producer economies such as the Amish?

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Well, kinda both. I feel like the way things are, it is taken for granted that you work all the time till you retire and the money is to be spent. If I wanted to work two months a year (since it is enough for a living), there is no system up for it. The boss would be like "What?! You cant do that! Who will do the job the 10 months you are gone? You are inconvenient for us. Leave..." Why isn't the job built so that I can do it sufficient amount to get my bread for the year? Why do I need to either work all the time or not at all? This is strange. There is no option really.

Banned
    MBTI
    type

I would say no, it's not worth it, but I really like 70" Plasmas and Hi-Fis.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Flak View Post
    I would say no, it's not worth it, but I really like 70" Plasmas and Hi-Fis.
    Yeah... How many months you had to work for them?

Banned
    MBTI
    type

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Yeah... How many months you had to work for them?
    None, yet. I'll get around to it.

In a consumer economy you have the option to run a small farm which you could probably make a decent living from. In a producer economy you're stuck making cheese whether you want to or not.

Since I'm a nerd I'll stick with my consumer economy.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

I guess you could choose if you want to make cheese or bread.

I wouldn't want to go back to that simple living, but I would like to be able to choose a different lifestyle without too much opposition.

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    A must see for anyone with questions along these lines.

Explores how Freud's theories have been used to create desires and wants in people that may very well at times overshadow needs.

The Century of Self
    Wow Heart. I sampled some of the videos of this on Google. Seems like a powerfully compelling documentary. You always have very interesting finds on psychoanalysis.

[GVIDEO=8953172273825999151]Century of Self Part 1 of 4[/GVIDEO]
    [GVIDEO=-678466363224520614]Century of Self Part 2 of 4[/GVIDEO]
    [GVIDEO=-6111922724894802811]Century of Self Part 3 of 4[/GVIDEO]
    [GVIDEO=1122532358497501036]Century of Self Part 4 of 4[/GVIDEO]

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield