User Tag List

Rubber Nipple Salesperson ladypinkington's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ

Default Open House? What is your house guest etiquette?

How open is your house to people?

I like for people to call before they come over. To me that is just the respectful thing to do. I always call before going to someone's else's house. People have guests over- could be sleeping- having romantic time with their spouse or just need to be alone- that's why I believe in calling first.

I am very protective of my home and don't readily invite people to my house until I feel like I can trust them, feel safe with them and are comfortable with them. My house is my haven- my lair- my refuge. It is like a cacoon in many ways in that I regenerate emotionally and mentally within it.

I don't want someone with bad personal boundaries knowing where I live- people who are really needy or over bearing and barge in and make you feel like they are taking over. I don't want someone shifty coming to my home either whom I feel would steal from me.

I know a woman who really has an open revolving door- people come and go all the time without ever calling or even knocking on the door. people will be at her house without her even realizing they are there. I feel sorry for her husband because he is so introverted but never has the house to himself to recharge and really I don't feel like he feels his house is his home-everyone else has more rights to it then he does. They wonder why he is depressed?!@

I get mad that other people don't realize that they are taking an inch but stretching it out into a mile- and the people who own the home can be more welcoming then is healthy I believe-

that is just my opinion
    what are your thoughts and experiences
    Me and hubby made an RPG Nutrition Game
    Play and Vote July 14th to Aug 14th
    http://www.appsforhealthykids.com/ap...ing-vegetables

MBTI
    INTj

Our rules are as follows:

* No talking
    * No using the bathroom
    * No partaking of food or beverages

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    873 sx/so
    Socionics
    SLE Ti

My rules.
    1. Open front door
    2. Step outside
    3. Close front door

MBTI
    INTP

1) clean up after yourself in the kitchen and bathroom
    2) don't monopolize the bathroom
    3) respect others' privacy (and don't break shit)

MBTI
    INFP

One rule:

Don't put the crystal or knives in the dishwasher.

I only let very close friends come inside my house, and if you're allowed in, it's pretty much Mi casa es su casa.

If you are invited, I trust you to make the best decision.

I don't really have rules, because I don't like to make people feel like they have to tiptoe around and worry. My friends always say how they love coming over because they feel so at home at my house! That makes me happy. I basically "keep it real" and say something immediately, because there is NOTHING worse than someone not communicating with you, but being annoyed with you.

For example, if someone leaves a wet towel on the hardwood, I'm not going to stew about it.. it's no big deal, I'll just pick it up myself.

I want people to call first, but sometimes I enjoy the surprise. I'm not the greatest host in the world, but I'm pretty generous. I might make food, offer drinks, or ask them what kind of music they want to listen to. I won't put myself out if I'm actually busy or annoyed by something they are doing, but I think most of what I just said is very normal. If someone likes me enough to randomly stop by, I think I'm comfortable with them seeing my mess of an apartment. There's no pressure because it's not like I begged them to come.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

heart on fire

I didn't really have any rules but specific incidences have created the following list:

1. Yeah I want a call before you come over and if you live out of state, could this be more than an hour's notice? Especially when you've been in the state over two weeeks? Thank you.

2. NO smoking in my home. Yes, I know you feel put-upon by this, sorry but your smoke makes me feel sick and yes big meanie that I am, I am not willing to feel sick for you.

3. I wish male guests would hit the toliet more often, my husband isn't a pig in your homes so why do you have to be one in mine?

4. Please don't put your hands in my pickle jar, I happen to know you don't believe in keeping soap in your own bathroom at home. Come on into the 1500's and use a fork!

5. Please don't allow your children to tear my stuff up, I know you think it's "precious" but it's not. Please don't put me in the position of having to say something, they are YOUR children not mine.

6. My cat is allowed free run of the house, whether you like her being on the coffee table or not. If you have allergies or phobia, then I'll put her in the back room but don't take it upon yourself to discipline my cat unless she's actually bothering YOU.

7. Close the damn door when you go in and out! It's hot outside and the air is running and I also have a housecat. You've been asked over and over and over and over and over to do this but do you listen? Can you listen?

8. Please stop changing the settings on our computer! Thank you!

9. Please do not harass the cat. If you molest her and she runs from you, please do not follow her around the house, leave her alone. Please also do not follow me into my bedroom when I am trying to put her away from you and use your greater physical strength to jerk her out of my arms! Good grief you are an ADULT! Get your own damn cat if you want a pussy that bad.

10. My countertops are not a cutting board!

MBTI
    INFP

1. Take your shoes off. I can not stress this one enough.
    2. Call to see if I'm home.
    3. ByoB
    I may be bested in battle, but I shall never be defeated.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I didn't really have any rules but specific incidences have created the following list:

1. Yeah I want a call before you come over and if you live out of state, could this be more than an hour's notice? Especially when you've been in the state over two weeeks? Thank you.

2. NO smoking in my home. Yes, I know you feel put-upon by this, sorry but your smoke makes me feel sick and yes big meanie that I am, I am not willing to feel sick for you.

3. I wish male guests would hit the toliet more often, my husband isn't a pig in your homes so why do you have to be one in mine?

4. Please don't put your hands in my pickle jar, I happen to know you don't believe in keeping soap in your own bathroom at home. Come on into the 1500's and use a fork!

5. Please don't allow your children to tear my stuff up, I know you think it's "precious" but it's not. Please don't put me in the position of having to say something, they are YOUR children not mine.

6. My cat is allowed free run of the house, whether you like her being on the coffee table or not. If you have allergies or phobia, then I'll put her in the back room but don't take it upon yourself to discipline my cat unless she's actually bothering YOU.

7. Close the damn door when you go in and out! It's hot outside and the air is running and I also have a housecat. You've been asked over and over and over and over and over to do this but do you listen? Can you listen?

8. Please stop changing the settings on our computer! Thank you!

9. Please do not harass the cat. If you molest her and she runs from you, please do not follow her around the house, leave her alone. Please also do not follow me into my bedroom when I am trying to put her away from you and use your greater physical strength to jerk her out of my arms! Good grief you are an ADULT! Get your own damn cat if you want a pussy that bad.

10. My countertops are not a cutting board!
    Whoah.. That's like really many things gone wrong.. I would never smoke in someones house if I don't see an ashtray, neither would I punish other people's animals or change computer settings.. What kinda people are these?!

For me.. I rarely invite people over, but since I live with a couple of friends they often do, but that's ok with me, I usually end up partying with them anyways. There ain't no rules really, just don't be a total jerk and don't drink my beer behind my back. The old lady next door basically makes the rules here, since she's the one to call the cops every damn time we have a big fiesta.

MBTI
    INFJ

I like having people over.

I like when my friends drop in unannounced.

No rules come to mind, but the people that visit me are pretty courteous on the whole, so there hasn't been much need to devise any.
    "There ain't no doubt in no one's mind that love's the finest thing around. Whisper something soft and kind." --James Taylor