User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by LucrativeSid View Post
    I seem pretty similar to most of the people on there so far, but most of the compatibility ratings are in the 30 and 40 percents. Weird. I answered most of the questions in the middle or near the middle, so do you guys just expect too much from other people or what? LOL
    That probably means that they haven't filled in what they are looking for yet (or you haven't ), which is very understandable. In that case I should either not show a result at all or also show the maximum possible score.

Quote Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
    That probably means that they haven't filled in what they are looking for yet (or you haven't ), which is very understandable. In that case I should either not show a result at all or also show the maximum possible score.
    Good thinking. I did fill in for both myself and for an ideal match. And most of the answers were near the middle for both tests. However, I do like a woman with a bit more J and a bit less aggression than me. Which I have already.

Carry on. By the way, I shook your hand. I was curious.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I had been, but now I've revised my opinion.

Your invitation to come visit your match site was, after all, your very first post ever on the forum. When someone signs up just to post a link to their own online projects, that's frequently a sign.

I apologize for the too-hasty judgment, however.

And yes, I'm always quite serious.
    I understand, I was scared about this so your reply just made me nervous. I have been lurking around here for some months, just never got around to make a post.

Never tried it, it always sounded quite intimidating to me. I actually started with code igniter and then rewrote it in CakePHP. I want to focus on design now and limit my programming to a minimum, so the simplicity of CakePHP worked well for me.
    ZF has way too little documentation / examples. Huge pain teaching co-workers how to use it for the first time. Compared to CakePHP, I would classify it as being more clean / modular. In some ways they're similar (conceptually with the MVC, etc) but in many other ways they're not.

They can't do any harm without being able to contact somebody or create any content, so I'm not worried about that. I don't know about the annoying hoop. Most sites that require an email address require the email to be validated before one can log in, which I find far more irritating. This often discourages me from signing up right away, so if I put an email field on the registration form I would at least want to make it very clear that this won't be required. I'll think about it.
    I view email validation as a necessary evil. They can do 'harm' by creating a group and posting whatever they want.

No, just some brainstorming.
    I encourage you to write something down for your ideas about the site. It will help make what you are working on be more concrete and hopefully prevent yourself doing too much re-work. In an ideal situation at my job, I'd have a list of each section and descriptions about the functionality of each sub-section, etc. I can email you an example I did if this interests you.
    The bigger reason for writing things done is that you don't end up doing a whole lot of random exploring about how you think the site should function. For example, you made the section for pictures but now you need to go back and re-create it (to a degree.. time is still time).
    It also helps you to narrow a to do list to get things done.

MBTI
    INFP

Default I just signed up

I just signed up, but I have a complaint. When I look at my matches, which are numerous, I am not allowed to weed them out selectively according to type. There are certain types with which I am not generally compatible, so if there were an option of checking multiple choices for what types of matches to show, I would be able to select only my favorite types and eliminate the ones with whom a deep connection is improbable. As it is, I must select each type that I would be willing to consider as a separate selection in order to organize the matches by type. It would be easier if I could just organize them into "compatible types" and "incompatible types" with checked boxes, as is possible at typetango.com. Please consider going there for ideas, because if it weren't a pay site, it would be ideal. You have the right idea and I wish to encourage you.

I am also curious how you determine "compatibility" as something separate from "similarity." What do you use to determine whether matches will be compatible? For example, some matches were highly similar to me, but rated 0% compatibility. Why?

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    I view email validation as a necessary evil. They can do 'harm' by creating a group and posting whatever they want.
    That's an oversight, I will disallow that. They shouldn't be able to create content. But I wouldn't want to force somebody to validate their email to take the personality test for example.

I encourage you to write something down for your ideas about the site. It will help make what you are working on be more concrete and hopefully prevent yourself doing too much re-work. In an ideal situation at my job, I'd have a list of each section and descriptions about the functionality of each sub-section, etc. I can email you an example I did if this interests you.
    The bigger reason for writing things done is that you don't end up doing a whole lot of random exploring about how you think the site should function. For example, you made the section for pictures but now you need to go back and re-create it (to a degree.. time is still time).
    It also helps you to narrow a to do list to get things done.
    That's pretty much what I did with the brainstorming list, then narrowed it down with todo lists (scrapping everything but the most essential). Creating the image catalog didn't take more than a few minutes, so I don't really mind starting with something simple. It's mostly just filling the gaps while I'm working on more important features.

I think I like the whole signup without the email idea now. I'd really like to see how it affects user sign ups.

Creating the image catalog didn't take more than a few minutes
    Maybe but those minutes add up the more it happens.

I also agree with the comment about checking out TypeTango (it sucks, btw). Their stats are possible indicators of what types are potentially more likely to sign up and use your site (mostly INxx's IIRC).

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Snail
    I just signed up, but I have a complaint. When I look at my matches, which are numerous, I am not allowed to weed them out selectively according to type. There are certain types with which I am not generally compatible, so if there were an option of checking multiple choices for what types of matches to show, I would be able to select only my favorite types and eliminate the ones with whom a deep connection is improbable. As it is, I must select each type that I would be willing to consider as a separate selection in order to organize the matches by type. It would be easier if I could just organize them into "compatible types" and "incompatible types" with checked boxes, as is possible at typetango.com. Please consider going there for ideas, because if it weren't a pay site, it would be ideal. You have the right idea and I wish to encourage you.
    Thank you! I promise there will be much more advanced filtering options (definitely allowing what you are looking for). I'm mostly waiting for a larger group of testers before I focus on this, because with so few users, filtering isn't really needed. TypeTango looks interesting, I didn't know about it. I will have a look at it.

I am also curious how you determine "compatibility" as something separate from "similarity." What do you use to determine whether matches will be compatible? For example, some matches were highly similar to me, but rated 0% compatibility. Why?
    Similarity is calculated by simply comparing how both users answered their test questions. Compatibility is calculated by comparing what you are looking for (the second page of the personality test) to how they answered the questions and the other way around. So if one or both haven't filled out the second page, the result will be very low. I know it's confusing and I'll work on improving this.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    I think I like the whole signup without the email idea now. I'd really like to see how it affects user sign ups.
    Yeah, then I won't have to let all of them in manually anymore. :steam:
    "The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

How can we see more than just a few people? I know Cze Cze is over there and yet I cannae find her.
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious