User Tag List

First 12345 Last

MBTI
    eNFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3 sx/so
    Socionics
    eNFJ Ni

Alright, I made a profile Looks fun, you guys!
    eNFJ 4w3 sx/so 468 tritype
    Neutral Good
    EII-Fi subtype, Ethical/Empath, Delta/Beta
    RLUEI, Choleric/Melancholic
    Inquistive/Limbic
    AIS Holland code
    Researcher: VDI-P
    Dramatic>Sensitive>Serious

veteran attention whore Jeffster's Avatar
    MBTI
    ESFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

I'm on board. I don't seem to be compatible with most people, though.
    Jeffster Illustrates the Artisan Temperament <---- click here

"I like the sigs with quotes in them from other forum members." -- Oberon

The SP Spazz Youtube Channel

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by SillyGoose View Post
    Cool idea! Ok, so I have a profile but I have a question -- I was able to select ENFP but should I still fill out the Personality Test to see results in compatibility and similarities?
    Yes,please. This will also help seed the test, so in the future it will be able to tell you which types you match well with (statistically).

Thanks everybody!

I'd still love some feedback on the actual questions, and whether there are too many, or not enough, etc. It's important to me that they cover a wide range of character attributes, that all the questions are easy to understand/answer (non-ambiguous), and that they are questions that will get a wide diversity of answers. I chose the current questions very quickly without much thought put into it, so I'm sure there is much room for improvement.

Also, please try making some contacts (by shaking hands) and join the feedback group. I haven't made this very clear yet, but the idea is to shake hands with everybody that seems reasonable, it's very non-committal and it's required to send a message (the message system is quite unique too, still a bit rough and probably confusing without some help texts, but I hope it can be figured out).

my critique...

- I couldn't register a 2 letter username (does it really matter if there is a minimum of 3 characters? -- no.)

- you have links for contacts/groups/matches for non-logged in users but it prompts me to log in when clicking them. I would like to see more of the site publicly exposed like okcupid. you could have users optionally set whether their profile is public/private.

- the 'my contacts' page is empty after first registering. I'm not really sure what the hell it's supposed to be.

- I don't know why you allow people to signup without an email address. I do see that people can 'validate' their account after registering but that approach is very atypical of most web apps. how I think it could work: people can register using their email account and be able to login right away, they would then have 72 hours to confirm their account. if they try to login after 72 hours, they would not be able to access their account and could re-send the confirmation email. anyway, the purpose of having an email to register really comes down to the whole 'Forgot Password' issue (..which doesn't appear to be implemented yet).

- you are using php, which framework ?

- I think editing the profile would be easier if they were radio buttons.

- I find this question is worded funny 'Money matters to me more than absolutely necessary.'

- this question is odd, 'I feel like a loser if I compromise.' -- I feel like it's asking whether the person has a low enough self-esteem and consider themselves losers

- 'I rarely get bored because I spend much time daydreaming.' could be changed to 'I rarely get bored because I spend so much time daydreaming.'

- I clicked on 'Coversations' but I don't know what it is.. no explanation of what it is.

- I think the upload a photo should be under the view/edit profile

- when you delete a picture it does some kind of meta refresh instead of automatically redirecting the user. in the apps I work on, there is usually something called a 'flash messenger' to deliver user notifications / confirmations / etc

- I don't like the design

- the process of viewing pictures on someone elses profile could be simplified by not having thumbnails and showing the images all at once.

- it may be useful to have a character minimum for one of the profile essays

- text can be bolded by doing *blah* .. but you don't communicate to the user that they can do this.

- I don't like the default group photo and it is not consistent with the look/feel of the default profile photo

- I think someone's profile should show up right away. I had no idea it wasn't going to show up until I validated my account.

- I feel like there should be more hand holding in helping a user get started with their account..e.g., having notifications on the front page that they haven't filled out their profile or uploaded a picture

- clicking the mobti logo doesn't do anything (possibly have it redirect to the homepage..)

- I feel like the 'o' in mobti is supposed to stand for something.. but I think you're just trying to do some word play with mob (?)

- can't edit a post after starting a discussion in a group

- can't view posts in a public group

- one thing I really liked was how easy it was to do the personality test

- I handshaked with a couple people so until I get confirmations / whatever from that then I can give my opinion on that

- I feel like more descriptions could be on the different pages to help guide the user

edit:
    do I have to 'handshake' with someone before I can message them? to me that seems like an unneeded hoop. maybe users could have the choice to choose whether they want a handshake first or accept messages from anyone by default.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    my critique...
    Thanks!

- I couldn't register a 2 letter username (does it really matter if there is a minimum of 3 characters? -- no.)
    I've changed it to 2. Wouldn't be too happy about someone calling himself "I" though, since the username is also often a link target.

- you have links for contacts/groups/matches for non-logged in users but it prompts me to log in when clicking them. I would like to see more of the site publicly exposed like okcupid. you could have users optionally set whether their profile is public/private.
    Yes, more guest functionality would be nice. On the other hand, it's really simple to login with just a username and password. I would like to add a feature tour later.

- the 'my contacts' page is empty after first registering. I'm not really sure what the hell it's supposed to be.
    I added some text now when the user has no contacts.

- I don't know why you allow people to signup without an email address. I do see that people can 'validate' their account after registering but that approach is very atypical of most web apps. how I think it could work: people can register using their email account and be able to login right away, they would then have 72 hours to confirm their account. if they try to login after 72 hours, they would not be able to access their account and could re-send the confirmation email. anyway, the purpose of having an email to register really comes down to the whole 'Forgot Password' issue (..which doesn't appear to be implemented yet).
    Yes, password recovery is planned of course. Doing things in a way that is atypical is quite common for me. I did this mainly to keep the register form simple, this also makes it easy to send a new mail in case the address got misspelled or the email lost in some way, and it doesn't discourage people who might not be willing to give me your email address (or at least would like to have a look inside before they give it to me). I like the way it is now. I don't think that not being able to recover a password from an account that has not set an email address yet is much of an issue.

[quote]- you are using php, which framework ?[/qote]

CakePHP.

- I think editing the profile would be easier if they were radio buttons.
    I'm very frustrated with forms in general and still plan to give them a large rework. Using radio buttons might be a good option for many fields, I'll keep that in mind.

- I find this question is worded funny 'Money matters to me more than absolutely necessary.'
    Could be, yes. Any suggestion for a replacement?

- this question is odd, 'I feel like a loser if I compromise.' -- I feel like it's asking whether the person has a low enough self-esteem and consider themselves losers
    I actually picked this one from a site with questions in the public domain. I thought it was ok (just asking whether one is unwilling to make compromises), but the wording might be a bit rough.

- 'I rarely get bored because I spend much time daydreaming.' could be changed to 'I rarely get bored because I spend so much time daydreaming.'
    Sounds good to me, so I changed it. Thanks.

- I clicked on 'Coversations' but I don't know what it is.. no explanation of what it is.
    True, that's probably the most confusing part of the site yet, especially as it's unlike any other message system (that I know). I plan to show a help screen when no message is selected, just haven't gotten around to it yet.

[quote]- I think the upload a photo should be under the view/edit profile[/quote

It is, under the picture. (All those links appearing under the picture are easy to overlook, I need to work on this).

- when you delete a picture it does some kind of meta refresh instead of automatically redirecting the user. in the apps I work on, there is usually something called a 'flash messenger' to deliver user notifications / confirmations / etc
    Yes, that's a left-over from when I got started with CakePHP, fixed (could still look a bit nicer).

- I don't like the design
    That makes me sad. It's very messy and incomplete at places, but I am generally quite satisfied with the style.

- the process of viewing pictures on someone elses profile could be simplified by not having thumbnails and showing the images all at once.
    Perhaps, I might need to set a limit then or the list could become too large. In general, the picture browser needs a lot of work, it's just a very quick hack for now.

- it may be useful to have a character minimum for one of the profile essays
    Not sure why, it's not causing any harm as it is.

- text can be bolded by doing *blah* .. but you don't communicate to the user that they can do this.
    I use textile for the formatting, which I don't even completely understand myself yet. I'll write a help screen for this when I look more closely into it.

- I don't like the default group photo and it is not consistent with the look/feel of the default profile photo
    I like it, but maybe I'll find a better one. It shouldn't be consistent, because it's a valid choice, unlike the default profile picture which is merely a placeholder. I don't want to make people think they are supposed to choose their own group picture, if they don't like to.

- I think someone's profile should show up right away. I had no idea it wasn't going to show up until I validated my account.
    I don't want the lists to be cluttered with empty profiles. Most sites require you to enter all the basic profile settings (and often upload a picture) at registration, I just want to leave the user a choice and allow them to decide themselves when they consider their profile to be complete.

- I feel like there should be more hand holding in helping a user get started with their account..e.g., having notifications on the front page that they haven't filled out their profile or uploaded a picture
    This already exists. You must have seen it when you published your profile (because the button is on it)? It shows what is still missing and has links to it. The box only shows after validating an email however, so maybe you had already finished it by the time (it should still show until you click the button).

- clicking the mobti logo doesn't do anything (possibly have it redirect to the homepage..)
    Fixed. (You might have to shift-reload to load the new stylesheet).

- I feel like the 'o' in mobti is supposed to stand for something.. but I think you're just trying to do some word play with mob (?)
    That is correct, there is no deep meaning behind it... ^^

- can't edit a post after starting a discussion in a group
    Many details like this are still missing, as I wanted to get something out as soon as possible. I'll get to it soon.

- can't view posts in a public group
    Hm yes, I might change this. I can't quite think of a good reason not to show them right now (I just did what another site was doing in this regard, I shouldn't do that).

- one thing I really liked was how easy it was to do the personality test
    Thanks. I want this to be as painless as possible (everything actually, I'm very keen on simplicity in user interfaces).

- I feel like more descriptions could be on the different pages to help guide the user
    Definitely, and that will be my highest priority (aside from fixing bugs and polishing) before I make it "official beta".

edit:
    do I have to 'handshake' with someone before I can message them? to me that seems like an unneeded hoop. maybe users could have the choice to choose whether they want a handshake first or accept messages from anyone by default.
    Yes, right now you have to do this. I know it's unusual. I made this decision not just because I want to give users complete and simple control over who can contact them, but also (mainly) because I want shaking hands something that is considered very non-committal and encouraged (it might be possible to promote contacts to "friends" later to make a separation). It still needs a lot of work to make all of this more obvious and accessible it seems.

Site is built well. Looks very good. I like it how it saves my answers as I go. Which is what I'm doing now - going, after answering one question. I'll do more later! Very interesting, though.
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Yes, more guest functionality would be nice. On the other hand, it's really simple to login with just a username and password. I would like to add a feature tour later.
    IMO, it has less to do with 'guest functionality' and a lot more to do with allowing potential users to see what the site is all about.

who would you say are your competitors?

CakePHP
    interesting. I don't like cake. mostly do things in the Zend Framework now.

I did this mainly to keep the register form simple
    I don't know of any sites that do not require an email address so I don't think asking someone for their email address is a huge barrier to entry for potential users. it also allows you to do email validation and prevent someone from easily creating multiple accounts and spamming your site. plus, making someone enter their email address after signing up is an annoying hoop.

Could be, yes. Any suggestion for a replacement?
    Money matters to me more than most people. (maybe)

It is, under the picture. (All those links appearing under the picture are easy to overlook, I need to work on this).
    Ah. must've missed it..
    I have a problem where I tend to call things what they are instead of calling them something potentially more user friendly. as an example, 'Upload a Picture' could instead say 'Edit Your Pictures.' Another example is to avoid using the word 'delete' and instead 'remove' .. and so on.

That makes me sad. It's very messy and incomplete at places, but I am generally quite satisfied with the style.
    To me, it is very white and feels empty. I'm not a designer but eh. It feels like it should also have some kind of footer to give more closure to the page - even if it is just something that says 'Copyright 2008 - Contact Us' etc.

I don't want the lists to be cluttered with empty profiles. Most sites require you to enter all the basic profile settings (and often upload a picture) at registration, I just want to leave the user a choice and allow them to decide themselves when they consider their profile to be complete.
    maybe you should communicate that the profile won't show up until the account is validated. maybe you stated it somewhere and I missed it but you should state that on multiple pages (in their profile, when searching, etc). if there are explanations of anything, make them short and concise because most people are just going to skim it to find what they're looking for.

This already exists. You must have seen it when you published your profile (because the button is on it)? It shows what is still missing and has links to it. The box only shows after validating an email however, so maybe you had already finished it by the time (it should still show until you click the button).
    I saw something after I validated. I think it should show that before hand.

That is correct, there is no deep meaning behind it... ^^
    then maybe the logo should have a bigger emphasis on the 'mob' part of the word instead of the o.

do you have a scope document or any kind site proposal where you have written anything out?

I seem pretty similar to most of the people on there so far, but most of the compatibility ratings are in the 30 and 40 percents. Weird. I answered most of the questions in the middle or near the middle, so do you guys just expect too much from other people or what? LOL
    "When a resolute young fellow steps up the great bully, the world, and takes him boldly by the beard, he is often surprised to find that it comes off in his hand, and that it was only tied on to scare away the timid adventurers." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Oberon

Quote Originally Posted by kanishou View Post
    Are you serious?
    I had been, but now I've revised my opinion.

Your invitation to come visit your match site was, after all, your very first post ever on the forum. When someone signs up just to post a link to their own online projects, that's frequently a sign.

I apologize for the too-hasty judgment, however.

And yes, I'm always quite serious.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by file cabinet View Post
    IMO, it has less to do with 'guest functionality' and a lot more to do with allowing potential users to see what the site is all about.
    Which is what I mean with "guest functionality". It certainly would be nice to have at least some example content on the main pages when logged out.

I've also been thinking about making the test available to guests (and then optionally allow them to register afterwards), but it would still benefit from creating a username at least so the answers can be saved individually.

who would you say are your competitors?
    Hard to say, as I don't intend to compete with anything specifically. OKcupid probably comes closest to being a direct competitor. The main differences being the MBTI theme and that I don't focus so much on the "dating" part, which OKcupid is all about. I want to build a community / matchmaking site for those who are not so much interested in dating as in close personal relationships (including friendships) or even just getting to know more about people of a certain type (e.g. to find out if you have something in common). This has the downside that I don't like to call it a "dating site", although this is technically what it is. I'm still struggling with finding the right words to describe it (and I'm aware that this is probably a bad sign).

interesting. I don't like cake. mostly do things in the Zend Framework now.
    Never tried it, it always sounded quite intimidating to me. I actually started with code igniter and then rewrote it in CakePHP. I want to focus on design now and limit my programming to a minimum, so the simplicity of CakePHP worked well for me.

I don't know of any sites that do not require an email address so I don't think asking someone for their email address is a huge barrier to entry for potential users. it also allows you to do email validation and prevent someone from easily creating multiple accounts and spamming your site. plus, making someone enter their email address after signing up is an annoying hoop.
    They can't do any harm without being able to contact somebody or create any content, so I'm not worried about that. I don't know about the annoying hoop. Most sites that require an email address require the email to be validated before one can log in, which I find far more irritating. This often discourages me from signing up right away, so if I put an email field on the registration form I would at least want to make it very clear that this won't be required. I'll think about it.

Money matters to me more than most people. (maybe)
    I was expecting that the vast majority of people would answer no to this, so I was looking for another formulation. I'll think about it.

Ah. must've missed it..
    I have a problem where I tend to call things what they are instead of calling them something potentially more user friendly. as an example, 'Upload a Picture' could instead say 'Edit Your Pictures.' Another example is to avoid using the word 'delete' and instead 'remove' .. and so on.
    Picture managing still needs a lot of work in any case. Remove seems better than delete, yes.

To me, it is very white and feels empty. I'm not a designer but eh. It feels like it should also have some kind of footer to give more closure to the page - even if it is just something that says 'Copyright 2008 - Contact Us' etc.
    That is very true of course. A footer is very high on my todo list. Most of the content layouts are still very rushed, and I wanted to have most of the features implemented before I put a lot of effort into it. I do like the design of the logo and header however and plan to keep a similar look & feel around the page (including much whitespace).

maybe you should communicate that the profile won't show up until the account is validated. maybe you stated it somewhere and I missed it but you should state that on multiple pages (in their profile, when searching, etc). if there are explanations of anything, make them short and concise because most people are just going to skim it to find what they're looking for.
    I can certainly mention it on various places, at least on the user's profile page.

then maybe the logo should have a bigger emphasis on the 'mob' part of the word instead of the o.
    It's not really supposed to emphasize the "o" as much as distinguish the "mbti" for those who know what it means.

do you have a scope document or any kind site proposal where you have written anything out?
    No, just some brainstorming.