User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    ISTx

Lightbulb "Everything happens for a reason."

How do you feel about this cliche? Do you agree/disagree? Why?

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    How do you feel about this cliche? Do you agree/disagree? Why?
    Definitely.

My grandmother says: "Life is like a large wall tapestry. You have white, pink, red, orange, yellow, green, blue and purple threads - threads of all colors, really. Then you have the browns and the blacks, and while you are weaving them, they look ugly and you wonder why you even chose them. Then, when you step back and look at the wall tapestry from afar, you see the beauty of the whole that would not have been possible without the dark colors contrasting the light ones."

So it is with the joys and sorrows of life. Each color represents a different phase and experience in our life - separate the threads are meaningless; together, they make a beautiful whole. The whole is not complete without all the threads. In your tapestry of life, you may despair when a dark thread is running through it; when you look back, however, you see how necessary each thread is.

In a nutshell, I totally believe in this maxim, regardless of how clichéed it might appear.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

I believe in it. In fact, I don't see how it could be considered untrue. (Open to discussion here)
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    ISTx

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    I believe in it. In fact, I don't see how it could be considered untrue. (Open to discussion here)
    And I hope to see a good discussion on this thought.

MBTI
    INfp
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp/sx
    Socionics
    INFp None

I agree, and live my life by it.

The funny thing is, even if things don't ACTUALLY happen for a reason, because I search for one, I often find one. This helps me make the most out of even really bad situations, since they often provide an opportunity for me to learn and grow.

MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by spirilis View Post
    If things did not happen for a reason, why would they happen? Just for the hell of it? Just to mess with our heads? Just to have some psycho doctor's ego trip satisfied because he's actually controlling all of us like a puppet master? Nahhhhhhh!

I agree with Spirilis. Everything happens for a reason. The question is: Are you mature and ready enough to see it? There's the key.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    ISTx

How does maturity play in to it, LL?

MBTI
    xNFP

Noticing how everything pieces into everything else takes a certain amount of detachment and objectivity that increases with maturity.

Going back to the example of the tapestry, you notice that you can only see the "beauty of the art" by "stepping back" and "observing it from afar" in order to obtain the best "perspective." If you stare at a thread through a microscope, you cannot see the whole. Being able to see the whole develops more and more as you mature.

MBTI
    InTP
    Enneagram
    9w1 sp
    Socionics
    INTj Ni

Sometimes people have to deal with difficult events, which may tax their emotions to the point of disbelief. A system of denial and disbelief may foster the (false) perception that things "don't happen for a reason," because they can't conceive of any good reason why those events occurred.

That ability to control one's emotionally-induced disbelief is a sign of maturity IMO.
    intp | type 9w1 sp/sx/so

MBTI
    INFP

Everything does not happen for a reason.

When you are responsible for what has happened to you, then you need to evolve.
    When you are not responsible for what has happened to you, you still need to evolve!

Change your way of thinking, change your way of living.

The meaning is in that change.. but without the change, there is no meaning. Therefore, everything does not happen for a reason, because the reason cannot exist until the change occurs.