User Tag List

First 4567 Last

In a deterministic sense it's kinda true but it's intended meaning that there's a grand plan for the universe is bullshit.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    Everything happens for a reason.
    I do not understand what 'reason' means in this context.

Do you mean that everything has a cause?
    Do you mean that everything occurs by intent?
    Do you mean that everything has an explanation?

For example, if you ask 'what is the reason for the recent bad weather?' then consulting a meteorologist might be a fruitful course of action, and a satisfactory answer would tell you something abou the cause of the bad weather. There are times, like this, when the word 'reason' is synonymous with 'cause', and we could well rewrite the question 'what is the cause of the recent bad weather?' and mean much the same thing.

The word 'reason' is ambiguous, especially when used as a noun.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

MBTI
    ENFJ

^^Speak for yourself.
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Surprising that the G-word is mentioned only once in this thread.

MBTI
    istp

i think it's better as a punchline than pseudo-wisdom.

it would be a perfect follow-up to suckerpunching someone in the shoulder

MBTI
    INFP

Everything happens. We don't know if there's a grand plan or simply random stuff happening. Maybe we're only a short but interesting phase in evolution that homo sapiens sapiens sapiens will later love to research. Maybe they won't even bother. Perhaps people die young because natural selection + luck didn't favour their genetical setup, but that doesn't stop evolution (quite the contrary).

Or perhaps we're only part of a divine plan for dragonkind and our only goal was to make tunnels and mines for a giant breed of hyperintelligent reptilian species to lay their eggs in.

Whether or not things objectively happen for a reason or not though, they have meaning to us, and I think it's overall a good thing and healthy to look for a reason (but not conclude unless there is strong evidence).
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    In a nutshell, I totally believe in this maxim, regardless of how clichéed it might appear.
    It seems that you are interpreting the word 'reason' to be synonymous to 'meaning', and so the statement 'eveything happens for a reason' can be rewritten 'there is a meaning to everything.'

The word 'meaning' can be particularly ambiguous (something which is deliciously ironic). For example, if a televsion news anchor asks a guest economist 'inflation has risen by 6% What does this mean?' then the anchor is unlikely to be asking for a definition of the statement 'inflation has risen by 3%'. Instead the news anchor is wants a theoretical interpretation of the fact expressed by the statement i.e. an explanation of what caused inflation to rise to 6% and what consequences should be expected. In this context, the meaning of the statement 'inflation has risen by 3%' is not a definition, but the causes and consequences of what that statement asserts to be the case.

It is in this sense that everything in your life has meaning, since everything which occurs to you can be interpreted as part of the narrative of your life, a theoretical interpretation of events, their causes and consequences. That is, any occurence, good or bad, will be part of the cause of whatever happens afterward and -- in the sense explained above -- will be meaningful, be it in a somewhat vacuous sense.
    A criticism that can be brought against everything ought not to be brought against anything.

heart on fire

I don't agree that everything happens for a reason.

In fact I think it could be a damaging/distracting philosophy which limits personal growth by stopping thought. It is just one of those phrases meant to make people feel better about things that maybe we shouldn't necessarily feel better about. Bad feelings are just as important as good ones and can be motivators for growth and change. Pinning every occurance on some higher "everything happens for a reason" seems prone to take blame or credit off self for events and take self out of the equation as a helpless pawn to the fates.

Very disturbing idea.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    Pinning every occurance on some higher "everything happens for a reason" seems prone to take blame or credit off self for events and take self out of the equation as a helpless pawn to the fates.

Very disturbing idea.
    This is one of the things that bugs me with very religious people. They can blame god for what ever they are responsible of. Its a bit like getting out-of-jail-for-free card for saying you were nuts while killing someone...

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9

Yes, because it's obvious.