User Tag List

First 34567 Last

MBTI
    ESFJ

To undermine my previous points (): I often get deja vu and I occasionally will dream something that will happen in the conscious world. So perhaps there is more subconscious "planning" and motivation of what we do than simply "I want to do this" or "This is how I would react if this happened to me."
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by pure_mercury View Post
    To undermine my previous points (): I often get deja vu and I occasionally will dream something that will happen in the conscious world. So perhaps there is more subconscious "planning" and motivation of what we do than simply "I want to do this" or "This is how I would react if this happened to me."
    pure_mercury ReDuX: so we're the reason?
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ESFJ

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    pure_mercury ReDuX: so we're the reason?
    Maybe? I honestly can't say. I know that I have both conscious pursuits and subconscious drives. I can usually balance them, but I don't know whether one or the other or both are what are assigning meaning to the events in my life.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

No, Beat, there is no plan. People like to believe in a plan because it provides all sorts of explanations for bad things that happen and resolves doubt. It also makes them feel more significant in the universe, like things are planned around their personal happiness. It's a myth.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    It's very likely that everything happens for a reason (or set of reasons).
    Why would you say "very likely?" I wouldn't.

MBTI
    INTP

I'm with Eddie Izzard on this one.

...because shit happens. It happens, and it doesn't excuse itself, it just says, 'Oh I've just happened. I'm Shit. And I'm off now.'
    But yeah, I don't think *everything* happens for a reason or that you can extract any meaning from it. That doesn't mean you can't find meaning in *some* things.

So basically the cliche should say, "Some things happen for a reason."

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Of course everything happens for a reason. Do you think everything in our existence happens in and of itself?!?!

DOH!

However, just because things happen as a result of other things does not mean that there was one big giant plan controlled by some puppeteer and we are all the poor pawns that have to follow the rules. On the other hand, of course everything fits into a cosmic whole.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

everything does happen for a reason...namely, the previous state of the universe and the laws of physics.

i hate it when people say that, though, because they mean something to the effect of "it was MEANT to happen". bah. it's mostly just a cop-out answer when people don't want to take responsibility for their actions.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    everything does happen for a reason...namely, the previous state of the universe and the laws of physics.

i hate it when people say that, though, because they mean something to the effect of "it was MEANT to happen". bah. it's mostly just a cop-out answer when people don't want to take responsibility for their actions.
    No, no, no....things are never MEANT to happen. I agree - that's just crap. I mean, I think everything has a reason - meaning when you do something wrong, for example, you own up to it of course (You don't say that the devil made you do it unless you mean it as a joke or something) but you can see how that lesson had to be learned to help you on your evolutionary path (i.e.: helped you learn). So everything has a reason, but that doesn't mean you should sit on your laurels and act like a <beeeep>.
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

MBTI
    GONE

I still like my answer the best.
    “If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Johari/Nohari

MBTI
    ENFJ

Of course everything happens for a reason.

I'm hungry because I need more calories for today. I can read because somebody taught me. The grass grows because it rains. The sun appears to rise because the earth spins on its axis.

I mean... it's not really that hard to wrap one's head around, that events are connected, is it?
    -Carefully taking sips from the Fire Hose of Knowledge