User Tag List

First 12345 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 62

  1. #21
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    If the things that happen, just happen, and there is no control over them, they would happen that way anyways. This can be called Destiny.
    Of course there is no control over the past, but there is over the present, given the meaning one has gleaned from the past. Where did P_M indicate that he thinks that you have no control over the present?

  2. #22
    Plumage and Moult proteanmix's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    Enneagram
    1w2
    Posts
    5,514

    Default

    I'm agreeing with pure_merc too. I don't think everything happens for a reason BUT you can extract meaningfulness out of a situation and give significance to that meaning. I think that's the difference between a fool and a wise person. You can extract meaning, but there may be no meaning there for you to extract. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar and sometimes it's not. I guess it's knowing when it's nothing and when it's something. To me it comes down to applying good discernment to situations.
    Relationships have normal ebbs and flows. They do not automatically get better and better when the participants learn more and more about each other. Instead, the participants have to work through the tensions of the relationship (the dialectic) while they learn and group themselves and a parties in a relationships. At times the relationships is very open and sharing. Other time, one or both parties to the relationship need their space, or have other concerns, and the relationship is less open. The theory posits that these cycles occur throughout the life of the relationship as the persons try to balance their needs for privacy and open relationship.
    Interpersonal Communication Theories and Concepts
    Social Penetration Theory 1
    Social Penetration Theory 2
    Social Penetration Theory 3

  3. #23
    seor member colmena's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    INXP
    Posts
    1,550

    Default

    "Everything happens for a reason."

    I believe we are unconsciously directed by evolution.
    Evolution has instinct but not purpose.

    I am appreciative that we have evolved to perceive and develop our perception of beauty and the experience of love.

    What or whom I show this appreciation to would only cause distraction.
    Last edited by colmena; 08-21-2008 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Well... this is what I believe this week, anyway.
    http://badges.mypersonality.info/badge/0/6/68764.png
    Ti Ne Fi Ni

    -How beautiful, this pale Endymion hour.
    -What are you talking about?
    -Endymion, my dear. A beautiful youth possessed by the moon.
    -Well, forget about him and get to bed.
    -Yes, my dear.

  4. #24
    Senior Member swordpath's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ISTx
    Posts
    10,552

    Default

    You guys are welcome to explore avenues within the topic, but I what I meant when I started the thread was do things happen for a reason, inferring that there is a universal plan of some sort.

    carry on.

  5. #25
    Senior Member 6sticks's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    istp
    Posts
    424

    Default

    I disagree. It reeks of "God gave Timmy cancer so he could test our faith" kind of talk.
    No offense.

  6. #26
    Senor Membrane
    Join Date
    May 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    3,190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Of course there is no control over the past, but there is over the present, given the meaning one has gleaned from the past. Where did P_M indicate that he thinks that you have no control over the present?
    Nah, he didn't, I'm just playing with Ideas.

    If we define destiny as everything you can't control, then we will have a situation that makes you responsible for your life as you can gain more power over your destiny by controlling your attitudes and reactions better. I find this interesting.

  7. #27
    Order Now! pure_mercury's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Posts
    6,946

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I really could think this way, but I choose not to, since it is a lot more useful to think that I have the absolute control over my live. You say that things just happen, so the things that happen are beyond your control, which means you have a random destiny. I, on the other hand, define my destiny, in other words, you are more in the determinism camp than I am...
    No, I don't feel that way at all. I just think that things happen to use that ARE outside of our control all the time, and that we make a lot of our decisions reactively. I don't believe in "destiny" at all. We have control over what WE do.
    Who wants to try a bottle of merc's "Extroversion Olive Oil?"

  8. #28
    mrs disregard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    7,855

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    If we define destiny as everything you can't control, then we will have a situation that makes you responsible for your life as you can gain more power over your destiny by controlling your attitudes and reactions. I find this interesting.
    Yes, this is most fascinating.

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat
    You guys are welcome to explore avenues within the topic, but I what I meant when I started the thread was do things happen for a reason, inferring that there is a universal plan of some sort.
    I thought the direction of this thread was/is very interesting.

  9. #29
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    11,925

    Default

    Well, I guess everything happens for a reason to a certain extent, but it depends on how you look at it. If you're a person of science, then yes, everything does happen for a reason. As far as a more philosophical standpoint, I can't be sure. I like to think there's a reason but if I can't find the reason or even comprehend the reason, then I shall assume that it doesn't happen for a reason.

  10. #30
    desert pelican Owl's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    MBTI
    INTP
    Posts
    717

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Beat View Post
    How do you feel about this cliche? Do you agree/disagree? Why?
    What do you mean?

    Are you wondering whether some form of the Principle of Sufficient Reason holds for the actual world, or are you wondering if there is an ethical component to events that occur in the actual world, i.e., that there is a good reason, a valuable reason, why all things unfold the way they do?

Similar Threads

  1. do things happen for a reason?
    By WALMART in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 59
    Last Post: 05-11-2013, 04:19 AM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last Post: 12-24-2010, 05:00 PM
  3. Ever been unliked for no reason at all?
    By Cloudblue in forum The Bonfire
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 03-24-2010, 12:52 PM
  4. [ENTP] ENTPs: Do you make up stuff for no reason?
    By Metamorphosis in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 100
    Last Post: 04-01-2009, 12:16 AM
  5. [INFP] Depressed for no reason?
    By Nonsensical in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 23
    Last Post: 11-06-2008, 09:02 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO