User Tag List

12 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Default Post links to excellent writings

Post links to writings that you've found insightful and learned from and that you think others might appreciate as well. (Let's stick to recommending serious stuff. Links to funny stuff can go in another thread if someone wants to start it.)

A couple of my links:

1. "A former leader in the New Age culture - author of nine titles on auras, chakras, "energy," and so on - chronicles her difficult and painful transition to skepticism. She thanks the skeptical community and agonizes over how the messages of scientific and critical thinking could be made more effective in communicating with her former New Age colleagues." Link (An NF poignantly appeals to NTs to practice more Feeling for the sake of their own cause.)

2. "One difference I've noticed between great hackers and smart people in general is that hackers are more politically incorrect. To the extent there is a secret handshake among good hackers, it's when they know one another well enough to express opinions that would get them stoned to death by the general public." Link (This guy, Paul Graham, has a lot of good (and IMO very INTP-ish) essays on his site. This is just one of them.)

Enjoy the links - and gimme yours.

MBTI
    type

I usually point people to SecurityMonkey.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    type

This isn't probably what you mean at all, but this is a cool blog. I'm officially envious.
    Who rises in the morning, looks in the mirror and says, "I think I will do something stupid today?" -- James Hollis
    If people never did silly things nothing intelligent would ever get done. -- Ludwig Wittgenstein
    Whaling is illegal in Oklahoma.

MBTI
    INTJ

I can't believe I forgot to post this link at first:

Essay about the benefits and hazards of the philosophy of Ayn Rand - required reading for Ayn Rand fans!

"[Ayn Rand] used to say to me, "I don't know anything about psychology, Nathaniel." I wish I had taken her more seriously. She was right; she knew next to nothing about psychology. What neither of us understood, however, was how disastrous an omission that is in a philosopher in general and a moralist in particular. The most devastating single omission in her system and the one that causes most of the trouble for her followers is the absence of any real appreciation of human psychology and, more specifically, of developmental psychology, of how human beings evolve and become what they are and of how they can change." Link

MBTI
    ISTP

I like reading about stuff like this; the -x-J world (opinionistas.com)

I also scour the net for the average day to day interactions of people, including the following blogs. Not for the writing, but for the perspective. Not all write very well... but the content is really interesting.

Wide Lawns and Narrow Minds <- Used to be great, I keep it around in case the old stories come back - they were terrific. Not worth reading right now I'm including it because it was that good before )

barista brat <- A look at starbucks... For some reason I saw the workers there different after reading this.

The Insane Waiter <- one of the many server blogs I read. You learn a great deal about people from this job.

Gamestore Girl <- cause I'm a gamer... and I always wondered what it was like to work in a game store.

Liquor Store Stories <- Liquor store worker. Working and living not far from the 'bad side' of town, I somehow relate to this guy.

Soup Kitchen Stories <- A college student who works in a soup shop... his stories about the homeless... and his stories about them and what he thinks about them is... sad, I guess. But perspective is there.

Theater for Dummies <- theatre blog. A world I volunteered in, but only really small stuff. Very interesting to see more of it.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

Feynman's Nobel lecture (because this thread deserves a 2nd chance)
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Default How about a third chance for this thread?

And because I like coffee

Essay Depot - Cooling Rate of Coffee

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Sniffles

the Range of Reason by Jacques Maritain

Sniffles

"Alien Ideas: Christianity and the Search for Extraterrestrial Life" - very interesting article that deals with the issue of Aliens from a Christian perspective, and even more discusses the philosophical underlinings for the belief in Aliens.