NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by msg_v2 View Post
    There's a name for that:

Hanlon's Razor

Or:

These are words to live by.
    But if you pay attention to getting the guy holding the gun to your head, you miss the guy behind you stealing your wallet. What if a kid is kidnapped but his parents just assume he ran away and do not report him. It would have been to their benefit to investigate alternative theories. Just because there has never been a wolf before, doesnt mean you should let the kid take that chance now.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    But if you pay attention to getting the guy holding the gun to your head, you miss the guy behind you stealing your wallet.
    How is that related? The razor merely refers to seeing the nature of seeing problems and their causes accurately. If there is someone stealing your wallet, you should be able to detect this, somehow. Otherwise, how do you know you didn't just lose it?

What if a kid is kidnapped but his parents just assume he ran away and do not report him. It would have been to their benefit to investigate alternative theories.
    Creationism is an alternative theory, too. It can be investigated, but this is not the same thing as accepting it uncritically, which is, unfortunately, what many people mean when they say they embrace investigating "alternative theories." But what makes an "alternative theory" a more valid source of truth than an "official story"?

Just because there has never been a wolf before, doesnt mean you should let the kid take that chance now.
    I think it's a better way to live life if you can walk out your door without assuming you're going to be kidnapped by terrorists. Letting yourself get dominated by fear is no way to go through life.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

How is that related? The razor merely refers to seeing the nature of seeing problems and their causes accurately. If there is someone stealing your wallet, you should be able to detect this, somehow. Otherwise, how do you know you didn't just lose it?

Creationism is an alternative theory, too. It can be investigated, but this is not the same thing as accepting it uncritically, which is, unfortunately, what many people mean when they say they embrace investigating "alternative theories." But what makes an "alternative theory" a more valid source of truth than an "official story"?

I think it's a better way to live life if you can walk out your door without assuming you're going to be kidnapped by terrorists. Letting yourself get dominated by fear is no way to go through life.

If you focus all of your attention on the most obvious of circumstances, you are not able to reframe the problem and notice other outside threats.

One of the main arguments against conspiracy theories apparently are that they are nit-picky. Life is nit-picky, the truth is generally nit-picky, everything can either be taken apart or put back together. Just because you have to tear a wildly accepted theory apart to build a conspiracy theory does not mean that they should be completely disregarded. If something cannot stand without a foundation than it cannot stand.

Conspiracy theories do not have to define every aspect of my life. Kind of like how everyone knows that they are going to die, but they go through living their lives anyway.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

If you focus all of your attention on the most obvious of circumstances, you are not able to reframe the problem and notice other outside threats.
    Why do you need to reframe a problem at all? Why is there an all-or-nothing approach necessary? Isn't it possible that things are more complex than that?

Then again, I am in favor of the Illuminati.

If something cannot stand without a foundation than it cannot stand.
    Agreed. This is why I can't stand conspiracy theories. They distract from the obvious threat: wood lice. I didn't leave my apartment for a month because I was worried about getting bitten by poisonous wood lice.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

Why do you need to reframe a problem at all? Why is there an all-or-nothing approach necessary? Isn't it possible that things are more complex than that?

Then again, I am in favor of the Illuminati.

Agreed. This is why I can't stand conspiracy theories. They distract from the obvious threat: wood lice. I didn't leave my apartment for a month because I was worried about getting bitten by poisonous wood lice.
    An all or nothing approach is not necessary, it isn't even what I am suggesting. It is just that people seem to automatically reject anything that they are uncomfortable postulating, and denounce it as bunk. This seems to happen often with people, they do not want to dig in deeply to a conspiracy because they might be afraid of what they might find. It isn't as if I am dead-set on the idea that there are aliens from outer space, but to automatically refute it is to take options out of the oven before they have even been baked. You cannot tell what something is until you let it grow. Why would you want to ignore evidence, especially if it goes against what you originally thought.

I think that most peoples first instinct is acceptance. They will generally accept what someone has told them, especially if it is framed in the way of a fact. Sometimes you need to find the cause of your wood lice before you can get rid of them.
    Likes Xander liked this post

deplorable basketcase Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Great men/women who commit crimes, like Phil Spector, should be given much lighter sentences than ordinary folk.
    Vi Cit Tecum.

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

I dislike facebook

I think rolereversal would be a great thing. Except maybe doctors switching with patients and cops switching with robbers.

I dont think school is necessary. Give a kid a book and let them discover the world for themselves. Whatever they are interested in, focus on that.

English is a messed up language, but fun.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

I don't think authority figures are right and I never assume they are.

I think being pc is patronising and harmful.

I think that addressing minorities every day ignores the majority and screws democracy to the floor.

I think politicians should be liable for their promises.

I think that a death sentence should be quick and soon after the judgement. A simple bullet to the head and none if this pomp and ceremony.

Too much is wasted on the top 2% whether it be money, fame or simply time. They don't have that much reach unless we give it to them.

I have disdain for all fashion labels except the most subtle of one's. I don't give two shits what your name is, if you want me to be a walking billboard then you pay me not vice versa.
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I think ur one of the aliens, @Qlip is a very odd name for a human being.
    Not as odd as Slartibartfast.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes Qlip, Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post

I think that addressing minorities every day ignores the majority and screws democracy to the floor.
    I'm not really sure what you mean by this. Could you clarify? Pretending that everyone has the same perspective is highly illogical.

I think politicians should be liable for their promises.

I think voters should be liable for their inability to think rationally about important issues like elections, national security and foreign policy. Voters tend to accept or reject specific candidates or foreign policies based on the flimsiest reasoning. They willingly suspend their critical faculties because they want to feel " a part of something", and when they change their minds, they don't blame their own faulty reasoning, but whine about politicians misleading them. They'd rather shout slogans and make black-and-white statements rather than studying up on the history of whatever it is they are going on about.

This is what, in my opinion, is destroying democracy and screwing it to the floor.

I don't regret voting for Obama because I studied his policy positions and knew what I was getting. People didn't like listening to me bringing up his policy positions at the time; they just preferred to get angry at me whenever I tried that. I think he's done a much better job with things than the last person did; I never for a second believed that he was going to give us all a tax rebate for a million dollars or whatever the hell people thought.

I don't think authority figures are right and I never assume they are.
    True, one should never assume that authority figures are right. In practice, though, what this means is that people end up assuming that their peers are right instead. I don't think peers are necessarily any more likely to be right than authority figures.

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :)
  • :hi:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile:
  • :wubbie:
  • :D
  • :hug:
  • :wink:
  • ;)