User Tag List

First 35434445464755 Last

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

I've pretty much concluded that everything's going to kill me, so I might as well just do as I like

the whole "miracle food!" and "these foods will secretly kill you" thing just preys on people's desire for a quick and easy fix and fear of age and death... not to mention that it's probably a great way to sell off surplus crops of kale or something
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Hard, SD45T-2, N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    I've pretty much concluded that everything's going to kill me, so I might as well just do as I like

the whole "miracle food!" and "these foods will secretly kill you" thing just preys on people's desire for a quick and easy fix and fear of age and death... not to mention that it's probably a great way to sell off surplus crops of kale or something
    This. Exactly this!

Well, within reason. I'm not going to eat 3000 calories of Wendy's every day, as that's certainly going to cause health problems over time. Even though I'd want to. I do love me some Wendy's .
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    It's difficult to say. There could be preservatives used in bread items that people react poorly to. "Allergy" is thrown around so so liberally now adays, when a lot of the time it actually isn't. It could be as simple as it messes with their digestion. Allergy means there is some type of immune response. It's a nitpick, but it's one that bothers me.

If I were to purely speculate, some might have sensitivity (not allergy) to potassium bromate, which is used in a lot of breads. There are other possibilities. I'm just very hesitant to speculate on causes when it comes to diet because it's impossibly complex. I just wait for studies to come out and speak of it. The extent I'll go is "there might be something in the food that you respond poorly to".

There's just way, WAY too many "food crazies" out there that I get bent out of shape when people start jumping to conclusions in the lines of "oh noes! carcinogens!". Number one cause of cancer? Existing.

/soapbox.
    The allergy thing definitely bothers me too. I cringe a little when people say they are "allergic to lactose". I would agree that it's a sensitivity, especially since the symptoms are predominantly gastrointestinal.
    Friends, waffles, work

"The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

Likes Hard liked this post

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    The allergy thing definitely bothers me too. I cringe a little when people say they are "allergic to lactose". I would agree that it's a sensitivity, especially since the symptoms are predominantly gastrointestinal.
    As an example: Cheezits. They're the only thing I've ever eaten that's able to give me heartburn. I have no idea why, and reading the label doesn't really help figure it out. Nevertheless, what good is it going to do for me to find the reason, which is likely to be very nuanced? It really doesn't do any benefit. There is just something in them that does it, and it could result from the cooking process (a notion people seem to willingly overlook, as if it's not "glamamorus enough" of a reason it doesn't sit well with them). A lot of people that I know that are food crazy, I've noticed seem to be looking for something to fight and hate with it. "This made me feel bad. *Gasp* there has to be something horrible in it that people shouldn't eat! I must have some kind of special dietallergymagicdiseasethingycompoop, I must educate the unknowing masses!" They almost use it as a defining point to their personality and identity. I just... don't get it.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

This. Exactly this!

Well, within reason. I'm not going to eat 3000 calories of Wendy's every day, as that's certainly going to cause health problems over time. Even though I'd want to. I do love me some Wendy's .
    I should have realized that people are people and added a "within reason" amendment
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

There are no gods (at least not in the common sense, but even then, I find other less common notions of diety unlikely), we all evolved from a common ancestor, vaccines are safe, scientific consensus is generally more accurate than 'common sense,' and people are not good but that we should treat each other nicely anyway.
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

The Dark Lord The Wailing Specter's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/so
    Socionics
    ENFP Ne

This. Exactly this!

Wendy's is good
    Enneagram: 6w7 (phobic) > 2w1 > 9w1
    Alignment: Chaotic Neutral
    Holland Code: AIS
    Date of Birth: March 15, 1996
    Political Stance: Libertarian Liberal (Arizona School/Strong BHL)
    ATHEIST UNITARIAN UNIVERSALIST HUMANIST
    and
    SCIENCE ENTHUSIAST

I say this as a reminder to myself, but this goes for everyone:

You can achieve anything you set your mind to, and you are limited only by how dedicated you are to succeed!

-Magic Qwan

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post

Wow, seriously? Kale? You know you could be eating dandelion greens, right?

1w2-6w5-3w2 so/sp

"I took one those personality tests. It came back negative." - Dan Mintz

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    I don't believe in gluten intolerance. I think it's a reaction to processed food and the chemicals we use in the US for wheat processing. Celiac disease is definitely real. But most gluten free people are not actually Celiac.
    One person, out of the dozen or so that I know that claim to have gluten intolerance (not sensitivity) actually have been tested for anything. One. And he has Celiac. I keep asking these people why they haven't been tested for wheat allergies or non-Celiac gluten sensitivity, they aren't even aware that is a diagnosis. Let alone having blood and stool tests. Why would you stop eating gluten just because? What a lot seem to want is a gluten free society. In that case I say - fuck off, I'm eating the bread I made.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.
    Likes Ivy, chubber liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

This. Exactly this!

Me too. It's by far my favorite fast food place. Now, I try to stick to a salad and baked potato or chili (because what other chain carries either?) but occasionally I get a Jr. Bacon cheeseburger.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.