User Tag List

First 34424344454654 Last

Results 431 to 440 of 832

  1. #431
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,000

    Default

    though religion really doesn't click with me in a way... I was raised going to church, but it never made any sense and it never felt true... I still have a fondness for things like religious art, architecture and PROPER religious music (meaning things like classical religious or old hymns... if you suggest the Gaithers you deserve to have your teeth pried out with a set of lineman's pliers)... and I enjoy sitting through an occasional proper and solemn service just for the peace of the whole thing (and by proper not all of that modern stuff about shaking hands, hugging or yelling things out during the service)

    i.e. I'm an atheist/agnostic who appreciates some of the things that religion has brought about
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett
    Likes Doomkid liked this post

  2. #432
    Junior Member Thrill-Ride's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2015
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    idk so/sx
    Socionics
    IEE None
    Posts
    24

    Default

    The first thing I thought of was the death penalty.

    I think it does no justice. The whole point of punishment is to correct a wrong. You can't correct the perpetrator's if they're dead. If someone did something terrible enough to be sentenced to death they should realize in true specs what they done and feel the guilt of it. I guess the elimination should take place only if they are an actual threat even after paying all the other less serious consequences prior

  3. #433
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    though religion really doesn't click with me in a way... I was raised going to church, but it never made any sense and it never felt true... I still have a fondness for things like religious art, architecture and PROPER religious music (meaning things like classical religious or old hymns... if you suggest the Gaithers you deserve to have your teeth pried out with a set of lineman's pliers)... and I enjoy sitting through an occasional proper and solemn service just for the peace of the whole thing (and by proper not all of that modern stuff about shaking hands, hugging or yelling things out during the service)

    i.e. I'm an atheist/agnostic who appreciates some of the things that religion has brought about
    I'm an atheist but I still enjoy walking around churches to admire the architecture. Old buildings are amazing.

  4. #434
    The Memes Justify the End EcK's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    738
    Socionics
    ILE None
    Posts
    7,235

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Luke O View Post
    I'm an atheist but I still enjoy walking around churches to admire the architecture. Old buildings are amazing.
    True- imagine you could get free lands and centuries of devoted peons providing free.labor to build your dream house. I always liked pyramids, if anyone is feeling reverential

    Then every sunday they come to ur house to sing and give u donations to maintain the house

    Now some of them want to become the house servants for free- entertain ur sunday guests for u and pay for themselves through donations. Amd the best part: u dont even have to show up- EVER

    Anyone said sweet deal?
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

    Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

    “I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

    "Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

  5. #435
    Super Ape Luke O's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2015
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    954
    Posts
    1,741

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    True- imagine you could get free lands and centuries of devoted peons providing free.labor to build your dream house. I always liked pyramids, if anyone is feeling reverential

    Then every sunday they come to ur house to sing and give u donations to maintain the house

    Now some of them want to become the house servants for free- entertain ur sunday guests for u and pay for themselves through donations. Amd the best part: u dont even have to show up- EVER

    Anyone said sweet deal?
    L. Ron Hubbard - “You don't get rich writing science fiction. If you want to get rich, you start a religion.”

  6. #436
    failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te
    Posts
    4,181

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Tellenbach View Post
    Monty Python and the Holy Grail is just bad, an all-around terrible film; at least Kung Pow: Enter the Fist had some funny moments.
    people need to get over Pulp Fiction.

  7. #437
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    I don't believe in gluten intolerance. I think it's a reaction to processed food and the chemicals we use in the US for wheat processing. Celiac disease is definitely real. But most gluten free people are not actually Celiac.
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*

    Likes Ivy liked this post

  8. #438
    Strongly Ambivalent Ivy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6
    Posts
    24,060

    Default

    ^I actually agree with all of that except for the processed food/chemicals part. I think it's the "nocebo" effect for many people. Others might benefit more from a low-FODMAPS diet- they've felt some relief from going gluten-free but haven't correctly identified why.

    Sensitive To Gluten? A Carb In Wheat May Be The Real Culprit : The Salt : NPR
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes Hard liked this post

  9. #439
    climb on Showbread's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    MBTI
    ESFJ
    Enneagram
    3w2 so/sp
    Posts
    2,331

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    ^I actually agree with all of that except for the processed food/chemicals part. I think it's the "nocebo" effect for many people. Others might benefit more from a low-FODMAPS diet- they've felt some relief from going gluten-free but haven't correctly identified why.

    Sensitive To Gluten? A Carb In Wheat May Be The Real Culprit : The Salt : NPR
    The only reason I really mentioned the processing/chemicals is because I've known several people who can eat all the gluten they want while living in Europe. But when they eat similar foods here they react.
    Friends, waffles, work

    "The problem is, when you depend on a substitute for love, you can never get enough" - Louis Cozolino

    3w2 6w7 1w2
    *Gryffindor*


  10. #440
    sifting Hard's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2014
    MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe
    Posts
    7,799

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Showbread View Post
    The only reason I really mentioned the processing/chemicals is because I've known several people who can eat all the gluten they want while living in Europe. But when they eat similar foods here they react.
    It's difficult to say. There could be preservatives used in bread items that people react poorly to. "Allergy" is thrown around so so liberally now adays, when a lot of the time it actually isn't. It could be as simple as it messes with their digestion. Allergy means there is some type of immune response. It's a nitpick, but it's one that bothers me.

    If I were to purely speculate, some might have sensitivity (not allergy) to potassium bromate, which is used in a lot of breads. There are other possibilities. I'm just very hesitant to speculate on causes when it comes to diet because it's impossibly complex. I just wait for studies to come out and speak of it. The extent I'll go is "there might be something in the food that you respond poorly to".

    There's just way, WAY too many "food crazies" out there that I get bent out of shape when people start jumping to conclusions in the lines of "oh noes! carcinogens!". Number one cause of cancer? Existing.

    /soapbox.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari


Similar Threads

  1. Test: Belief-o-Matic Quiz
    By Totenkindly in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 180
    Last Post: 11-22-2016, 09:04 AM
  2. Infallible Beliefs
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 39
    Last Post: 06-11-2009, 09:49 AM
  3. Be prepared to defend your beliefs!
    By Virtual ghost in forum Welcomes and Introductions
    Replies: 52
    Last Post: 06-23-2008, 10:58 AM
  4. Different belief systems
    By Kiddo in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 18
    Last Post: 01-04-2008, 01:07 PM
  5. Clarkson (controversy in spades)
    By Xander in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 12-03-2007, 11:50 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO