failed poetry slam career chubber's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Te

Quote Originally Posted by fia View Post
    I'm starting to think there might actually be aliens interacting with earth.
    Partly from watching "Ancient Aliens" and realizing some of the questions they raise are not answered by mainstream reasoning. Also, humanity itself is a bizarre phenomenon. We are so different from any other creature on earth, why? We also create societies that are larger scale than our brains can comprehend. I've read books like "The Drunkard's Walk, How Randomness Rules Our Lives", which demonstrates that the human mind cannot think statistically with large scale data, and yet our entire society is based on large-scale structures that exceed our own natural comprehension. Our cranial capacity can comprehend about 150+ other human beings, the size of a tribe or village (Dunbar's Number). How did we organize into social structures comprised of billions of people? There is something very strange, unnatural, and disturbing about humanity. What if we aren't the result of natural processes?
    Likes labyrinthine liked this post

blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless Xann's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

Likes chubber liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    lol, your type even
    tiny purple fishes run laughing through your fingers
    and you want to take her with you, to the hard land of the winter
    Likes Xann liked this post

blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless blessblessblessblessbless Xann's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Xann View Post
    How many versions of Loose Change do we need? Give it up people.

Besides, it wasn't the lizard people, but the Snoggorths that did it. Everyone knows that.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post

Edit: For the record, I really like Pope Francis, in large part because I really like the Jesuits, and Bergoglio seems to have stayed true to his Jesuit roots since the name-change/becoming Pope.
    I was part of an intentional community called a jesuit volunteer community for a year and considered holy orders as a jesuit many times.

MBTI
    NP
    Enneagram
    964 sp/sx

Angry birds is not that great of a game.

Actually mobile based games in general are just awful.
    Likes Video liked this post

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    More to the point religion isn't intended to deal with the verifiable or scientifically quantifiable. It deals with those things that fundamentally aren't. Just like science has no bearing and nothing to say on the spiritual.
    While I agreed with the first part (not quoted here) I do disagree with the above.
    Religion makes very specific claims about the nature of the universe, about "reality". Science is the observation/recording and systematization of facts about the universe.
    Both religion and science therefore make claims that are in the same realm, except if you claim that the religious has no bearing on reality. However if you check out religious books it is quite clear religions claim direct intervention in the natural world.

A world with the abrahamic god for example would be quite a different place from what is seen around us. Except if said god goes out of it's/he's/pronoum of your choice's way to hide all signs of (let us say) his involvement.

Which seems a bit far fetched to me and not in line with several world leading "revelations"

(ps: "QUOTE" doesn't mean i'm mocking it it just means i'm quoting someone else's expression.

I quote the term reality as I do not know of any absolute frame of reference that could be used to make this term more than a mental tool)
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE
    Likes Hard liked this post

Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by EcK View Post
    While I agreed with the first part (not quoted here) I do disagree with the above.
    Religion makes very specific claims about the nature of the universe, about "reality". Science is the observation/recording and systematization of facts about the universe.
    Both religion and science therefore make claims that are in the same realm, except if you claim that the religious has no bearing on reality. However if you check out religious books it is quite clear religions claim direct intervention in the natural world.

A world with the abrahamic god for example would be quite a different place from what is seen around us. Except if said god goes out of it's/he's/pronoum of your choice's way to hide all signs of (let us say) his involvement.

Which seems a bit far fetched to me and not in line with several world leading "revelations"

(ps: "QUOTE" doesn't mean i'm mocking it it just means i'm quoting someone else's expression.

I quote the term reality as I do not know of any absolute frame of reference that could be used to make this term more than a mental tool)
    I'm in no mood to go round and round in circles about it at the moment. I would say something to the effect that the purpose and extent of religious teaching has changed as science has been able to explain more of natural phenomena. Religion has been able to focus more and more on the spiritual world. We used to need religion to explain more about the natural world than we do now.

I'm to lazy to flesh this argument out fully.
    Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but his judgment; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if he sacrifices it to your opinion.
    - Edmund Burke

8w9 sx/so

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILE None

Quote Originally Posted by DiscoBiscuit View Post
    I'm in no mood to go round and round in circles about it at the moment. I would say something to the effect that the purpose and extent of religious teaching has changed as science has been able to explain more of natural phenomena. Religion has been able to focus more and more on the spiritual world. We used to need religion to explain more about the natural world than we do now.

I'm to lazy to flesh this argument out fully.
    No problem, just sharing my opinion.
    I do think dogmatism in general is detrimental to 'progress'.

I'm quite attached to the notion of progress as
    a) being an entp it's just interesting to me, ya know.
    b) I think it's, so far, positive for humanity overall.

When I say dogmatism I do mean, like you did in your post, all forms of dogmatism including scientific and other forms of cultural 'unmovable facts'.

That includes scientists who are more attached to their scientific beliefs than to the actual scientific process (or even people who think the scientific process is somehow unquestionable, etc. You get the idea),

religious leaders who think that their interpretations are 'true' and divinely ordained.

(for example in Islam it clearly states that the Quran is all you need, yet today muslims seem to use Hadith more than the Quran, which according to their own religion would make them sinners that disregard the word of god)

Or less controvertial types of dogmatism. For example, back in college I had this ISTJ teacher who loathed my guts for always discussing his self proclaimed 'logical rules' which i'd breakdown in about 5 second flat as being no more than an obsession with self-referential rule making. If he said it was just his opinion or preference fine, but I tend to get really bored/annoyed out of my mind when people claim their preferences are universals.

Another example would be people using terms like 'disgusting' for 'I feel digusted by this'.

opinion/preference does not make truth
    Expression of the post modern paradox : "For the love of god, religions are so full of shit"

Theory is always superseded by Fact...
    ... In theory.

“I’d hate to die twice. It’s so boring.”
    Richard Feynman's last recorded words

"Great is the human who has not lost his childlike heart."
    Mencius (Meng-Tse), 4th century BCE

Quick Reply Quick Reply

• :bye:
  • :)
  • :hi:
  • :happy2:
  • :smile: