Thread: Controversial Beliefs

Suave y Fuerte Array BadOctopus's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by chickpea View Post
    I think picky eaters are emotionally stunted somehow and should grow up
    I used to think this, when I first found out that my ex-boyfriend was a picky eater. Like, an extreme one. I couldn't believe how many foods he had never tried. I could probably count the foods he will eat on two hands, and have fingers left over. I thought he was just being ridiculous, but I did some research, and it's a very real disorder known as food neophobia. People with this disorder actually have a psychological block when it comes to trying new foods. It genuinely fills them with terror.

I don't pretend to understand it. I absolutely love trying new foods. The more complex the flavors, the better. But I've learned that it's not a matter of telling a picky eater to just "grow up". A lot of the time, these people need therapy. It's not healthy at all.
    WOOP WOOP WOOP
    Likes chubber liked this post

HopelessSituationWarrior Array Osprey's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by prplchknz View Post
    I'm not a picky eater generally but i am specifically I'm very specific with how things are.
    Sometimes that's important.
    Forget the dead you've left; they will not follow you.
    The vagabond who is rapping at your door, is standing in the clothes you once wore.

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by BadOctopus View Post
    I used to think this, when I first found out that my ex-boyfriend was a picky eater. Like, an extreme one. I couldn't believe how many foods he had never tried. I could probably count the foods he will eat on two hands, and have fingers left over. I thought he was just being ridiculous, but I did some research, and it's a very real disorder known as food neophobia. People with this disorder actually have a psychological block when it comes to trying new foods. It genuinely fills them with terror.

I don't pretend to understand it. I absolutely love trying new foods. The more complex the flavors, the better. But I've learned that it's not a matter of telling a picky eater to just "grow up". A lot of the time, these people need therapy. It's not healthy at all.
    Oh picky eater as in not willing to try things not like they have tried it and simply don't like a lot of things?

MBTI
    yupp

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Sometimes that's important.
    It is if you can't be specific then you end up with things you don't want or need. Now getting people to understand that with out them enlisting the peanut gallery by saying that is oddly specific is a dilemma i have yet to figure out how to get around.

Ps I'm having a smart day which makes me happy and that's not controversial

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Are you talking about people who don't like peanut butter or white bread, or something else? Do you mean, for instance, people who eat a "paleo" diet?
    no like adults who think vegetables are yucky and eat chicken tenders or well done hamburgers everyday.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Some of those people are probably on the autism spectrum (not necessarily to a diagnosable level). My son doesn't like mixed together foods (sandwiches, soups, casseroles, pretty much anything in a sauce) so he pretty much eats ingredients only, except for macaroni and cheese which is his favorite thing in the world. Fortunately, fresh fruits and vegetables are fine with him and that's a lot of what he eats. I suspect when he's an adult he will live on fresh fruits and vegetables, macaroni, plain meats, yogurt, and cheese, like he does now.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes BadOctopus liked this post

MBTI
    yupp

Chicken nuggets are the best and I'd eat them every day if i could. Judge all you want they are still delicious oh and seasoned fries. But i don't absolutely hate vegetables they're just not my favorite

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Bojangles seasoned fries. MMmmmmmmmmm.
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii
    Likes EJCC liked this post

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Some of those people are probably on the autism spectrum (not necessarily to a diagnosable level). My son doesn't like mixed together foods (sandwiches, soups, casseroles, pretty much anything in a sauce) so he pretty much eats ingredients only, except for macaroni and cheese which is his favorite thing in the world. Fortunately, fresh fruits and vegetables are fine with him and that's a lot of what he eats. I suspect when he's an adult he will live on fresh fruits and vegetables, macaroni, plain meats, yogurt, and cheese, like he does now.
    I have a friend who's synesthetic and doesn't like mixing food because "the patterns blur". She's also incredibly stubborn, and has responded to people's thoughts on her picky eating by doubling down on her pickiness. (8 fix problems?)

@chickpea I'm mostly with you on this though. Either they need to mature, or they need to stop being so goddamn boring. Depends on the picky eater in question.

It especially bothers me when people say shit like "It's because I'm a supertaster". Guess what? Some of the most adventurous eaters I know are supertasters. Strong sense of taste =/= picky and boring eating.

and it's nice enough to
    make a man
    weep, but I don't
    weep, do
    you?

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    lawful good (D&D) / ravenclaw + wampus (HP) / boros legion (M:TG)
    conscientious > sensitive > serious (oldham)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

MBTI
    :}

I'm a sort of picky eater. I just have a big issue with texture, and if something is of that texture I just can't do it. I get physically sick, vomiting, all of that. My parents used to force me to try all different types of food, but I have been told that they stopped when I was young because I would have such dramatic reactions that they figured that it had to be somewhat out of my control. There would be no way I would do that to myself by choice.

So yeah, to an extent I don't really think that picky eating is a choice. Maybe if it is introduced correctly, under ideal circumstances-whatever they would be, you could get a different result. But actually I just don't know everything or anything that is really behind it enough to judge.

Page 32 of 84 FirstFirst ... 2230313233344282 ... LastLast