mercenary Array SiegfriedSchtauffen's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    I have a lot of debts I gotta pay off with that stuff.
    I think it is worth taking a loan only if you have good chance to make more money from it. In that case it doesn't enforce slavery. But still, many people say that "money isn't important", maybe you quoted that part only accidentally...

MBTI
    :}

Quote Originally Posted by SiegfriedSchtauffen View Post
    I think it is worth taking a loan only if you have good chance to make more money from it. In that case it doesn't enforce slavery. But still, many people say that "money isn't important", maybe you quoted that part only accidentally...
    Things cost money, and eventually most people will be in some sort of debt or have to be involved in some sort of payment system: loans, mortgages, insurance- it's practically inevitable, and unfortunately so is needing to acquire money through some means.

Personally, I am banking on winning the lotto, or waiting for the government to realize just how awesome I am and give me money. Maybe I will realize some sort of secret scandal and I can blackmail.

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    Things cost money, and eventually most people will be in some sort of debt or have to be involved in some sort of payment system: loans, mortgages, insurance- it's practically inevitable, and unfortunately so is needing to acquire money through some means.

Personally, I am banking on winning the lotto, or waiting for the government to realize just how awesome I am and give me money. Maybe I will realize some sort of secret scandal and I can blackmail.
    I personally need only a very few basic things: food, clothes, a few inexpensive thingies, and shelter. Fortunately none of these require loans but I still don't want to spend my whole life on earning that money even without having loans. To me both this route and the loan+house+family combo seems to be a dead end from which there is no way out. I have to get rid of my current handcuffs instead of putting on a few more.

In my experience people are saying "money is not my source of meaning" when they say that or it is something about motivation.

You know the story about the fisher man who only took his boat out in the morning who meetings the neo-liberal business man who thinks he should take it out morning and night right? That sort of thing.
    Likes Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sx/sp
    Socionics
    SLI Te

Quote Originally Posted by Lark View Post
    In my experience people are saying "money is not my source of meaning" when they say that or it is something about motivation.

You know the story about the fisher man who only took his boat out in the morning who meetings the neo-liberal business man who thinks he should take it out morning and night right? That sort of thing.
    I know that story. Between slavery and business there are a lot of shades of grey. That fisherman is much similar to a freelancer or sole trader than a typical 9-5 worker. Actually the fisher man who works morning and night is much more similar to someone in the rat race.

across the universe Array Olm the Water King's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    459 sx/so
    Socionics
    EII

Cheese is the center of the solar system.

MBTI
    :}

Scientists should find a way to genetically mutate animal DNA to create more hybrids. Actually that might be a total waste of time.

Along those lines...

Designer babies should become a real thing. I would guess that they would be expensive and could possibly cause a problem with even widening the class gap-better offspring, better performance, more money-but still so much could be innovated by creating a generation of our best minds. Gattaca situation maybe, but still, it could end up positive.

deplorable basketcase Array Tellenbach's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

The FDA has indirectly killed several tens of millions by suppressing promising treatments for illnesses through the regulatory process.
    What would a baby from Neelix and Kes look like? They had to write off Kes from the show to avoid answering it.

I know that story. Between slavery and business there are a lot of shades of grey. That fisherman is much similar to a freelancer or sole trader than a typical 9-5 worker. Actually the fisher man who works morning and night is much more similar to someone in the rat race.
    Yeah but when they have the option of working beyond their satiated state with the option of the prospect of a greater return on it later, ie sacrifice your rest now, for another later they choose not to defer gratification in the form of rest.

True the fisher man is master of his own destiny more than many but there are two different business models with attendant life expectations, I think the fisher man's the wisest but I see it as within the being mode of existence rather than the having.

He makes a life rather than just makes a living.

New Age spiritualism is a bastardization of the spiritual traditions they supposedly stem from, and make random references to quantum mechanics that are not even wrong.

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield
    Likes Hard, Ivy, EJCC liked this post

Page 21 of 84 FirstFirst ... 1119202122233171 ... LastLast