First 614151617182666 Last

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthea View Post
    Guilt should not be the primary reason behind a person not committing suicide, yet such pressure is much too common in society today.
    You think more people should commit suicide?
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    You think more people should commit suicide?
    If that's what's necessary, then why not? But I may be biased since I myself put no value over life. Death is over exaggerated IMO.

MBTI
    CROW
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    LII None

Quote Originally Posted by Chrysanthea View Post
    If that's what's necessary, then why not? But I may be biased since I myself put no value over life.
    I looked out this morning and the sun was gone
    Turned on some music to start my day
    I lost myself in a familiar song
    I closed my eyes and I slipped away

Visit my Johari: http://kevan.org/johari?name=Birddude78
    Likes Qlip, Ivy, N/A, BadOctopus liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Vulcan View Post
    Pffft, that was the old me. Now I can shit fully mature goats to sacrifice to the Supreme Master.
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Qlip liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

I believe strongly that I don't have to have an opinion about everything.
    Likes Ivy liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

If God had intended for mint and chocolate to be eaten together, he would have made mint chocolate anything taste better.

Also, George Harrison was the coolest Beatle.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth
    Likes Julius_Van_Der_Beak, Qlip, Ivy, 93JC liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty6226 View Post
    I was just thinking of digging up this thread...

I think professors who read everyones essays out loud in front of everyone, just to make pretentious and derisive little 'jabs' at them, going as far as to leave one person in TEARS, should be I dunno... excommunicated if I am being nice. Or be chinese water tortured in front of a live audience until they are forced to reveal every single intimate detail that has ever happened in their lives-then be locked up in a zoo so everyone can gawk at them.

Though some of it was funny-4 hours of watching relentless degredation kills most of that humor fast. And it isn't as if I can't take a joke.

But at 50, making fun of a class of comminity college kids is really not that impressive. Take your pent up frusterations out on someone willing to defend themselves-you do not look cool, it is really just pathetic.
    I think it depends... If professor is doing it to make you all laugh and point mistakes it's mean but understandable, worse is if he is just being mean (then it's often just low self-esteem).

I had a teacher who read parts of the essays aloud in front of the class. And the parts she read were absolutely the worse- the sentences that doesn’t make sense or which you hear and think (oops she/he didn’t read this book)or with many structural mistakes and spelling mistakes- that was very funny. We all laughed and thought is it mine? The teacher was very smart, tough and ironic. Maybe some of us didn’t like her, but most admired her including myself.
    “The world is full of obvious things which nobody by any chance ever observes." A.C. Doyle

The No Likes Experiment.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Coriolis View Post
    We should abolish all taxes except for state income tax. Instead of taxing individuals, the federal government will then tax the states. The amount required from each state may be different, depending on the economic health and the specific needs of the state. In some cases, the state might get some money back (e.g. Louisiana after Hurricane Katrina).

We should do away with car license plates. Too easy to track law-abiding folks, and just another not-so-hidden tax to pay for them.

We should implement single-payer medical coverage. This will (1) make sure everyone has access to medical services; (2) eliminate many wasteful makework jobs in the insurance "industry", freeing those people to do something actually useful, like direct patient care; and (3) significantly reduce the litigiousness of our society. Since everyone would automatically have access to medical services, no one would ever need to sue for those costs. The legal aspect of injuring someone else would be handled entirely in criminal court, with the financial aspect mostly removed.

Political candidates would each be given a fixed amount of public funds for their campaign, with the amount based on the office, the locale, and even the health of the economy. Candidates will distinguish themselves not by fundraising but by showing creativity, thoroughness, and even strategy in how they use this money.

Disposable plastic shopping bags should be eliminated.

We should adopt an education system more akin to Germany's but with the split later than grade 4 or so. Students can enter an apprenticeship track by high school to prepare them for a trade or career that doesn't require college.

We should reinstate the draft for everyone, but allow people to perform non-military service as an alternative.
    I agree very strongly with all of these things. You have my vote for 2016.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    ISFJ
    Enneagram
    7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Kas View Post
    I think it depends... If professor is doing it to make you all laugh and point mistakes it's mean but understandable, worse is if he is just being mean (then it's often just low self-esteem).

I had a teacher who read parts of the essays aloud in front of the class. And the parts she read were absolutely the worse- the sentences that doesn’t make sense or which you hear and think (oops she/he didn’t read this book)or with many structural mistakes and spelling mistakes- that was very funny. We all laughed and thought is it mine? The teacher was very smart, tough and ironic. Maybe some of us didn’t like her, but most admired her including myself.
    Mm, there is a difference to me between being tough to make a further point or inspire change or new though, and being cruel to the point where you are actually over the line into personal attacks. It is generally pretty easy to tell, and while at first it seemed more in the way of attempting to point out issues in a more relatable way, it got worse and worse as it went on.

Criticism is fine when it is for the other person and is not used in a way to make you feel better about yourself. I am not sure if he just didn't realize that he had gone way beyond being facetious, but it de-escalated fast from being sort of inclusively on the surface humorous , to seeming as if almost he was getting some sort of pleasure seeing how far he could go.

A comment here and there in a good natured but critical undertone, goes farther than saying a kid should drop out of college because idiots like him were not smart enough to ever grasp how to use a semi-colom, and then going on and picking at his deficient intelligence for a good 25 minutes-bringing his mothers careless upbringing of him into the situtation- is just someone getting pleasure out of being cruel.

It was uncontrolled and maybe while intentions were intitially good at the end of the class it was pure bulldozing, and although I didn't get much of it, and an asshole like that-I've dealt with worse: people who weren't just trying to hide the fact that they are absolutely pathetic, certain people were very visibly upset. Bad day or no, and I can take-understand-and generally justify a lot of shit, this was ridiculous.

Anyways, starting to derail my own thread.

The strange thing about this thread is that its called controversial beliefs but none of the beliefs are actually controversial at all.