• Nah

14 29.17%
First 234

Thread: Are you...

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    So... just to be careful... if you had to be fitted into this paradigm... you'd be under strong denial of convention?... there's no white race... or at the very least it's not a useful concept... and it's more important to understand ethnicity/cultural background?
    I would use terms like "black" or "white" to identify people. If I say "Well, you know that guy at the work? Sam, the black guy..?" It is the same as saying "Well, you know that guy at the work? Sam, the guy with the long hair..?" It doesn't have to have anything else to it. And to me it doesn't. I don't really care that much about what color your skin is. Or, if it matters into any direction, I will be more interested in people from far far away. But, this could be only me, since I've gotten used to it even if we don't have too much diversity here. I have lived with a couple of immigrants from Ghana for some time and I went to study in Spain for a while, got used to many cultures over there (if you wanna know which I prefer, they're the Mexicans. No one can drink like the Mexican and the Finnish people )

So.. to your question. I don't see the racial classification as a useful concept (if we are talking about defining people by their color), but the way it was asked on the OP, I don't think anyone should think that this thread is necessarily prejudiced. I don't know how things are where ever you guys live, but here in Finland, we have quite a lot of racism and people are getting really touchy about any words that has something to do with "race" and I'm not sure if that's a good thing. All the differences people have... they don't go away by making taboos of the words used to express them. I'm just saying that you don't need to see "white" being more than what it says.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I would use terms like "black" or "white" to identify people. If I say "Well, you know that guy at the work? Sam, the black guy..?" It is the same as saying "Well, you know that guy at the work? Sam, the guy with the long hair..?" It doesn't have to have anything else to it. And to me it doesn't. . . .

So.. to your question. I don't see the racial classification as a useful concept (if we are talking about defining people by their color), but the way it was asked on the OP, I don't think anyone should think that this thread is necessarily prejudiced. . . .
    For me, when I'm asked the question, I respond according to convention. But I'm generally quite offended when people extrapolate from white or brown or black or yellow into cultural paradigms. That's when the usefulness of the terms is vitiated into outright noxiousness.

So I guess I'm on board with your assessment... if I had to self-categorize based on my own, earlier post, I would be 2a when asked about my basic beliefs about the world, though I'm forced to converse using the conventional terminology because most people in the world do basically believe in it (choice number 1) on a level deeper than merely equivalent to different types of hair or eye color.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

You'd be surprised to know how often I got that kind of attitude from people when I still had long hair and otherwise a bit more hippy look. Couple of times almost got a beating based only in the way I looked like.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w8

The term "white" is as ambiguous as "black." Africa's a big continent. So is Europe + Russia. Further complicating the matter are traditions of the "one drop" rule. In America, one drop of "black" blood makes you "black." In Brazil, one drop of "white" blood makes you "white." The terms are meaningless.

Case in point: yours truly is half "white" and half "black." In America, most people would interpret that as having one African American parent and one Anglo Saxon parent. In fact, my mother is Haitian and my father is a Polish Jew. "Black and white" doesn't tell you much. Oh, and btw, what the hell does that make me? Yours isn't a yes or no question for us hybrids.

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    That would be even more problematic.
    Nah, I was refering to a comment he made on another thread... something about how he's probably going to marry an ethnic woman. I think the word "ethnic" sounds silly.

MBTI
    ISTx

I'm black.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13 View Post
    Nah, I was refering to a comment he made on another thread... something about how he's probably going to marry an ethnic woman. I think the word "ethnic" sounds silly.
    In either case I totally agree with you.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    3w4

When I fill out government forms, I usually check the box labeled 'white'.

Racially, half. Seemingly, yes.

As my mother's people say, I'm "la leche en el cafe."
    "The purpose of life is to be defeated by greater and greater things." - Rainer Maria Rilke

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

I don't think most people would have to look back very far to find some other genetic material that would not be classified as strictly European. I know I'm not.