Thread: Are you...

Scream down the boulevard LadyJaye's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    I am translucent.
    Heeeeey, funny, I am TOO! I use a special foundation powder called "Caspar".

heart on fire

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Is it just me or are the replies on this thread a little... strange..? It seems like you are almost blaming murkrow being racist because he asked that. The question itself isn't provoking, is it?

MBTI
    ENTP

Many people (including myself) debate the validity of the "white" race concept... even if it's not valid, but useful, it might have a right-to-life... but even its usefulness is highly questionable and more often than not divisive in all the wrong ways. Forget about how the world is divvied up according to white / non-white (or black / non-black, or brown / non-brown)... is calling a large group of people from North America, certain populations in South America, Europe and Russia 'white' really telling us much about the people? Or are we simply taking objects with perceived external similarities, classing them together, and then generating deeper and more important conclusions about 'who' they essentially are without any justification for doing so?

So the question about who's white works on several levels... the main two are:

1) CONVENTION: I accept that the 'white race' exists, in which case it's generally going to be quite obvious whether or not I'm white. e.g. in this case, I, SDM, am not white.

2) ANTI-CONVENTION: I don't accept the notion of a 'white race'.
    a) strong denial of convention - because the thing it refers to doesn't exist... e.g. I, SDM, am neither white nor non-white. The question is, at its heart, nonsensical.

b) weak denial of convention - the thing it refers to basically exists but ought to be referred to by a different name... hence jokes about 'light peach' and all that. e.g. I am conventionally non-white, but anti-conventionally I can choose to abandon this nomenclature and instead refer to myself as of non-Caucasian stock... but the problem with this is that the "Caucasian" label itself has massive problems (so-called 'whites' did not originate from the Caucasus mountains, which is a big fat myth, so calling oneself Caucasian is as dumb as a Jew calling himself Aramaic or some such)... so right now I abandon even addressing the question until we can revise the terms to fit reality better.
    Madman's azure lie: a zen miasma ruled.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by phoenix13
    Don't you mean "ethnic"?
    That would be even more problematic.

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

MBTI
    INFP

I am Carebear of many colors!

(I guess I'm at SDM's 2b. I see that people have different colors and origins, but there are no clear dividing lines between the different colors and origins, so why focus on it? The best attempts at creating clear dividing lines didn't exactly come from the proudest moments of human history.)
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA

Senor Membrane
    MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by Samuel De Mazarin View Post
    Many people (including myself) debate the validity of the "white" race concept... even if it's not valid, but useful, it might have a right-to-life... but even its usefulness is highly questionable and more often than not divisive in all the wrong ways. Forget about how the world is divvied up according to white / non-white (or black / non-black, or brown / non-brown)... is calling a large group of people from North America, certain populations in South America, Europe and Russia 'white' really telling us much about the people? Or are we simply taking objects with perceived external similarities, classing them together, and then generating deeper and more important conclusions about 'who' they essentially are without any justification for doing so?

So the question about who's white works on several levels... the main two are:

1) CONVENTION: I accept that the 'white race' exists, in which case it's generally going to be quite obvious whether or not I'm white. e.g. in this case, I, SDM, am not white.

2) ANTI-CONVENTION: I don't accept the notion of a 'white race'.
    a) strong denial of convention - because the thing it refers to doesn't exist... e.g. I, SDM, am neither white nor non-white. The question is, at its heart, nonsensical.

b) weak denial of convention - the thing it refers to basically exists but ought to be referred to by a different name... hence jokes about 'light peach' and all that. e.g. I am conventionally non-white, but anti-conventionally I can choose to abandon this nomenclature and instead refer to myself as of non-Caucasian stock... but the problem with this is that the "Caucasian" label itself has massive problems (so-called 'whites' did not originate from the Caucasus mountains, which is a big fat myth, so calling oneself Caucasian is as dumb as a Jew calling himself Aramaic or some such)... so right now I abandon even addressing the question until we can revise the terms to fit reality better.
    Aha.. I'm on the no-issue side. I see this question to be a bit like "Where are you from?"

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    Aha.. I'm on the no-issue side. I see this question to be a bit like "Where are you from?"
    So... just to be careful... if you had to be fitted into this paradigm... you'd be under strong denial of convention?... there's no white race... or at the very least it's not a useful concept... and it's more important to understand ethnicity/cultural background?

Realize us, Madman!

I razed a slum, Amen.

I don't see the problem with question either.

I live in the place that is 100% white and I have never had a chat with non white person if we overlook last few months of internet foruming.

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nolla View Post
    I have no issue with it, but neither do I find it interesting. I know I share less with a lot of white people around the world than I share with many Norwegians of different origin. It's more interesting to me to know what kind of cultural background, gender and time a person has grown up in. Did we both experience the fall of the Berlin wall through a child's eyes? Did we both sit through mass every Sunday? Were we fed the same social democratic ideals in school? Were we both brought up in a stable middle class home?

People depend on categories, but color is not the most useful of them in my opinion.
    I have arms for a fucking reaosn, so come hold me. Then we'll fuvk! Whoooooh! - GZA