User Tag List

First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by proteanmix View Post
    Are the any legitimate reasons to see Paris Hilton humbled?
    Correct me if I'm wrong. She got drunk and had her license suspended. She then didn't show up for the non-jail terms she had been sentenced to. She then drove without a license and got reprimanded and signed a court paper saying that she knew she wasn't suppose to be driving. She then did it again, speeding with her lights off. After being sentenced and sent to jail with 1/2 her term cut off, she played "poor helpless girl" until she was let out.

To me, there is a very very good reason to see her humbled. This is public domain. The message will be sent. It will either involve a spoiled rich brat doing whatever she wants with no retribution or it will involve her being called down publicly.

Even if you want to look at it like a "normal" case, she screwed up a whole hell of a lot and sent a nice "screw you" to the judge involved. Three times.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

I'm sure many people are told they need to change (maybe even some of you) and the need to change is legitimate. Do you change? Do you think you should be thrown into jail (or whatever jail is for you) and forced to change? If you're going to change it'll be when you're ready to.
    Often people need an unyielding experience in order to shake them out of their calcified behavior before they begin to reconsider things. This might be part of that experience for her. Who knows? You need SOME sort of outside stimulation and/or challenge in order to grow and to sharpen yourself against. Why dismiss this as bad, just because it's been popularized? That's just as reactive, isn't it?

Or perhaps it's simply the first thing that makes her reconsider herself, but some other event will be the deciding factor. Whatever.

And yes, if someone is waved in front of my face and I see them as miserable and destructive and pathetic, I *would* like to see them change and grow, for everyone's sake. If Paris had never appeared before me, I would not care nor would I seek her out. I feel the same way about people I work with, or other people I am exposed to; if they are drawn to my attention, then I have a reaction to them in this vein. Maybe you feel differently, and that's fine.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

She doesn't read the paperwork she is given...simply because she probably can't read.

Still, I'd love to have a bitch like that...so I can something of utter repulse to beat once in a while.

MBTI
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by Langrenus View Post
    I thought the whole point of justice was that it applied equally across cases. The sheer irony. It would blow my mind if I didn't love it so.
    The real irony is that people get bent out of shape about celebrity worship, but still feel an ounce of emotion over Paris Hilton going to jail. It's obsession even if you hate her, people!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

Honestly, though, I don't care about the bitch-whore-cunt-whatever. As long as the media strays America's attention against what's really important, I will get more votes!

MBTI
    INFP

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    The real irony is that people get bent out of shape about celebrity worship, but still feel an ounce of emotion over Paris Hilton going to jail. It's obsession even if you hate her, people!
    I never said I hated her. Sure, she's no genius, but she is pretty hot.

(This is Female Button #37)

Enneagram
    1w2

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    To me, there is a very very good reason to see her humbled. This is public domain. The message will be sent. It will either involve a spoiled rich brat doing whatever she wants with no retribution or it will involve her being called down publicly.

Even if you want to look at it like a "normal" case, she screwed up a whole hell of a lot and sent a nice "screw you" to the judge involved. Three times.
    You're not wrong. I read the newspaper and at least once a month, buried in the back page some local rich brat wrecked their car because of a DWI and what did they get? Community service. No jail. The whole community could know of their hijinks, but we single out Paris Hilton. No, no something else is happening. We have a nation of Haters and Jealous Ones. We set people up and then pull them down.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    And yes, if someone is waved in front of my face and I see them as miserable and destructive and pathetic, I *would* like to see them change and grow, for everyone's sake. If Paris had never appeared before me, I would not care nor would I seek her out. I feel the same way about people I work with, or other people I am exposed to; if they are drawn to my attention, then I have a reaction to them in this vein. Maybe you feel differently, and that's fine.
    I think the same thing when I see people I care about going down the wrong path. Believe me I understand what you're saying. But my experience has been that no matter what is said or done to the person, even at extremes, if they don't want to change, they're not going to. I agree that sometimes it takes a catalyzing event, but some people are stubborn and won't change unless they hit rock bottom. What may only need a slight kick in the ass for one person, may require a shove off a cliff for another. Some people need to jump off the cliff, not be pushed. I think people realize when they're out of control, but they need to be ready to start the process of change. You can recognize a need for change and still not do anything to change.

I'm not dismissing it, I'm just wondering why people want her to pay and change when there are innumerable instances of them probably needing to do the same thing. Paris is the projection of everything we wish we wish had and we hate about the rich. I really see this as a class issue (and a little racial also).

Quote Originally Posted by nottaprettygal View Post
    Hmm, this was supposed to be inherent in what I said. Obviously it didn't come across.

Edit: I will attempt to clarify. This was not a "oh woe is me, Paris is r!ch0rz and didn't get treated in the same way as a p00r person" attack. This was a "justice is supposed to apply equally, which suggests that people's attention to cases of justice and injustice should be correspondingly equal. But this is not so, which makes a mockery of the justice system people then attack for being unfair".

That probably doesn't help to clarify in any way whatsoever. But at least that quote might now exist in some kind of context. A home for it, if you will, rather than the barren landscape that existed beforehand
    Last edited by Langrenus; 06-08-2007 at 04:23 PM. Reason: ffs
    January has April's showers
    And 2 and 2 always makes a 5

MBTI
    ISTP

You're not wrong. I read the newspaper and at least once a month, buried in the back page some local rich brat wrecked their car because of a DWI and what did they get? Community service. No jail. The whole community could know of their hijinks, but we single out Paris Hilton. No, no something else is happening. We have a nation of Haters and Jealous Ones. We set people up and then pull them down.
    She was not put in jail for DWI.

She broke probation twice, once with a court ordered document. She was put in jail. This is the normal punishment.

She was not put in jail because of haters, or jealousers. She was put in jail because that was what the law was.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILE

They should just release her. She'll probably end up committing suicide before her long hard 45 days are up.