User Tag List

View Poll Results: Which number of friends are you most comfortable with at a time?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll

8 42.11%

9 47.37%

8 42.11%

4 21.05%

2 10.53%

1 5.26%

2 10.53%
  • 8+

3 15.79%
Multiple Choice Poll.
12 Last

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Default Comfort With People

I sort of want to gather some thoughts and numbers on this: What number of people (assuming you're friends with them) are you most comfortable with? I included a poll, and purposfully left out 0, because I am interested in cases involving people. I understand that not everyone is comfortable with people (friends included) period.

The reason I ask is I find that I am more comfortable the more friends I am with (I'm actually uncomfortable one on one most of the time). I haven't really heard of many people who share this in the way I do, but I do not believe I am the only one. Thus, I am interested.

So, what are your ideal numbers, and why? Thoughts? Discuss.
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w4 sp/sx

I prefer small groups of two or three people. Five, at the most. Any more than that, and it starts to feel crowded. There are too many distractions. Meaningful conversations are harder to maintain. It just becomes... noise.

My tolerance for social interaction is kind of like a health meter on a video game. The more people I'm with, the faster my social meter depletes.
    Likes 93JC, Cellmold liked this post

MBTI
    jedi
    Enneagram

Zero.
    Likes /DG/, chickpea, ESFJ liked this post

your resident asshole

Strange how you put exact numbers instead of ranges. I have no idea the exact number. I like small groups over one-on-one and large groups. Not sure where that goes on the poll.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    1w2 sp/so
    Socionics
    EIE Fe

Quote Originally Posted by DisneyGeek View Post
    Strange how you put exact numbers instead of ranges. I have no idea the exact number. I like small groups over one-on-one and large groups. Not sure where that goes on the poll.
    I did because I figured the numbers would be low (I also made multi-selection so people could make their own "ranges").
    MBTI: ExxJ tetramer
    Functions: Fe > Te > Ni > Se > Si > Ti > Fi > Ne
    Enneagram: 1w2 - 3w4 - 6w5 (The Taskmaster) | sp/so
    Socionics: β-E dimer | -
    Big 5: slOaI
    Temperament: Choleric/Melancholic
    Alignment: Lawful Neutral
    External Perception: Nohari and Johari

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/sx

Maybe up to 3 if we're discussing something we actually have some expertise on.

Ime, the more people involved, the more generic the conversations get (which makes me uncomfortable per se, as I feel like I'm wasting my time).

Depends on the individuals and the nature of the get-together. Meaningful conversation usually ceases to be possible with more than four people and in big groups only becomes available again among those who focus on one another while ignoring the rest.

My idea of "fun" is aimlessly driving a dirt-cheap car around town with wads of money in my pocket, doing anything I feel like, alone.

I'm fairly comfortable in front of large groups of people, especially playing a "teaching"/orating role with a captive audience. If I'm around small groups of more than one person, I usually lose momentum in contrast to them and can't keep up. If I'm alone with a peer, I feel like a sea star drying under a heat lamp. I'm most comfortable in the presence of a "stronger," overpowering, superior presence who "guides" me.

On the other hand, aloneness leads me to confusion and stagnation if I'm not completing a concrete task.
    Likes Noon liked this post

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Quote Originally Posted by Hard View Post
    I sort of want to gather some thoughts and numbers on this: What number of people (assuming you're friends with them) are you most comfortable with? I included a poll, and purposfully left out 0, because I am interested in cases involving people. I understand that not everyone is comfortable with people (friends included) period.

The reason I ask is I find that I am more comfortable the more friends I am with (I'm actually uncomfortable one on one most of the time). I haven't really heard of many people who share this in the way I do, but I do not believe I am the only one. Thus, I am interested.

So, what are your ideal numbers, and why? Thoughts? Discuss.
    I'm not always comfortable one on one. It depends on who it is. For the most part, three would be the limit for good conversation and/or activity. Beyond that, it's too busy for me, it just kills my energy.
    I like to rock n' roll all night and *part* of every day. I usually have errands... I can only rock from like 1-3.

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ESI Fi

One-on-one can be the best when it's with the right person. Most people aren't the right person, so usually 2 and up work out better. But the more people join the group, the chance that there will be a good 1-1 candidate among them rises. When that person appears, we will pair off.
    4w3 6w5 1w2 sx/sp ISFP

RLOAX (don't do it)
    Melancholic Hufflepuff
    A lonely island where only what is permitted to move moves, becomes an ideal. Jung

Kiss Kiss [johari] Bang Bang [nohari]