User Tag List

Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: Fanfare and Failure - An MBTIc glossary

In seventh grade I won the annual school creative writing award ahead of everyone in grades 8-12. I won it partly for my articles for the school newspaper (the editor, a senior, published the following praise, "[Economica] is the poster girl: She writes from impulse and comes up with great articles. It's amazing how on-target a "short seventh grader" can be. She has grasped the concept of spontaneous writing that the rest of us could benefit from") and partly for my essays for English class (here's one grading comment from my teacher, "What a beautifully written story / I loved it!!! / May I read it to the class / 100% / P.S. you're a great writer, [Economica]. I do not say this very often." (She did read the story to the class, all eight tightly-typed pages of it. ))

My posts on this forum constitute the most creative writing I've done since entering university eight years ago. These days, as my master's degree in economics actually is close to finally materializing (yeah, I've taken my time - you would not believe the incentives students face in my country), I find myself really regretting not finding some more productive (as in $$$) outlet. How did I allow myself to forget that I love to write and that I have at least a shot at getting people to pay me for doing it? :sad:

6w7 sx/so

Economica - maybe because it took sometime for you to realize that you did love it.

Achievement: Graduated from high school with Honors, graduated from high school in spite of having the hardest go out of everyone (so the school counselors said anyway).

Failure: I didn't make the cut for university and am only now, after 5 years, able to use the things I learned in college for financial gain.
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

INFP, 6w7, IEI

I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

Senior Member Array norepinephrine's Avatar

Achievements: Juried into several art exhibitions. Won several awards. Sold quite a few pieces.

And quit. Haven't picked up a paintbrush in over ten years.

Failures: Suckered into marrying a charismatic, abusive asshole. Believe me, it takes a decade to stop feeling like an idiot.

Senior Member Array

Quote Originally Posted by Night View Post
    Achievement – I took the SATs when I was 12.
    Failure – I almost took my (younger) cousin to prom.

I took the SATs at 12 too. Did you participate in the Duke TIP? I did so well I was accepted into Simon's Rock College of Bard, but my dad told me I was still too young to go. And it was too far away. Maybe that should be under my achievement. lol

Achievement: Later, I was accepted into another early college program. In the same state, so my dad had no objections. I was a full-fledged university student at age 15. We lived in the dorms, had curfew, and study hall for 2 hours every weekday night. Our college courses counted as our high school requirements.

Failure: I have a useless undergraduate degree. I took too much time off school. I'm nearly 25 now, with more school to complete. Joy.

Welcome to Sunnyside Array Mondo's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    Haha... I really relate to that!!!
    Oh yea!!
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

Failure: I never learned to whistle as a child.

Success: I did learn to whistle a few months after turning 18. While this is a really a small thing, it taught me that it is never too late to turn failure into success. (Well as long as you're not dead.)
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)

Success: Between ages 20 and 26, I learned to sing on a better-than-average amateur level.

Failure: During those years I neglected whistling and can hardly muster it, now.

Success: Being authentic in the moment, every moment. Saying, doing, being who I want to be and owning it. Conquering fear and anxiety. Finding joy in the everyday and connection in every person I meet. Acknowledging the humanity in others.

Failure: ^^ Not.

“If you want to tell people the truth, make them laugh, otherwise they'll kill you.” ― Oscar Wilde

"I'm outtie 5000" ― Romulux

Striving for balance Array Little Linguist's Avatar

Dude, I feel like such a dumbass - you guys are all, like, geniuses first degree.

Awww, ferk it, here's my little contribution:

Most important:
    --Found and married my wonderful husband, whom I love dearly :-))))
    --Found a great job where I feel happy and comfy and get okay money.
    --I have continued to grow and develop in a positive way. I'm healthy (physically and mentally). I may not be a genius, but I use my abilities the best I can and know how.
    --Might have a new success soon but we'll see!!!!!!! :-)))))))) I'll post if it comes to fruition!!!!

Little achievements that no one gives a crap about:

--School awards in Irish dancing, poetry reading, acting, science fairs, languages, etc. (graduated 4/120 at my high school - good 'nough)
    --Was the first person at my high school to receive the Senate Education, Arts and Humanities Book Award for Excellence in Foreign Languages and got an internship at the State House (got a chance to learn first-hand how totally messed up the American political system can be - even at the state level)
    --University Scholarships: (Full at state university, 3/4 at Jesuit university, Alumni scholarship)
    --University Awards: (German Consulate book awards, National Dean's List, Certificate of Achievement, Dean's List, Pi Sigma Alpha Political Science Honors Society, Chancellor's List) graduated 3.65 with a difficult track - again, good 'nough
    --Fulbright Scholarship to teach English in Germany (got it extended for one year at the SAME school - I was the first one to do that from the 22 teachers they had had in DüW)
    --Got a 19/20 in my TestDAF!!!!!! DUDE!!!!!!!!! (Got accepted to the best German university for translation in four languages - but due to financial problems, had to give it up!!! SHIT!)
    --Travelled to many different areas and got to see a lot of neat places (Australia, France, Germany, Finland, Czech Republic, Canada)

Total moments when I was like DOH!!!!

--Found it hard to control my emotions as a child; had to learn to deal with depressive and anger phases - which developed into an eating disorder for me (but I battled it and now I'm fine!!!!!!)
    --Totally put on way too much weight after I battled said eating disorder (but on a positive note, I got tits!!!)
    --Had completely crappy relationships when I was younger (when I was 19-24 years old) (but that's okay, I grew, and now I have a wonderful husband)
    --Broke down when I was 18 (but grew so much through the experience)
    --Was totally isolated in school (but that allowed me to help so many people with problems because they were not afraid to come to me)
    --Decided not to study languages even though it is my strength (WHAT A DUMBASS!!!!)
    --Stuck my foot in my mouth more times than I can recall
    --Decided not to study abroad for a year while in college (What a total FART! I did not have the balls to go back then)
    --Was totally hither and thither while I was in college - I would have done so much better if I had not been a basketcase and could have focused.
    --Can't remember all the times I forgot shit <------HAHAHA What an ironic statement, on second thought!!!!! :-))))))) What a nut!!! DOH!
    -- I wish I had paid attention more in school for the love of learning instead of being all ambitious and driven and all that good shit - I should have just enjoyed learning instead of putting so much damn pressure on myself.
    --Still haven't learned how to ride a bike or drive a car yet.
    --Injured my back and had to get an OP last year after four years of pain and agony (but now I'm FINE!!!!!!!! :-)))))) )
    --Don't pay enough attention to my family sometimes
    --Have tunnel vision sometimes and do not pay attention to the little things unless someone makes me aware of them
    --Had to give up my studies in Germersheim before I even started due to financial difficulties and being unable to find a job in the area (they had 15% unemployment)
    If you are interested in language, words, linguistics, or foreign languages, check out my blog and read, post, and/or share.

Banned Array

success: learned the importance of filtering and emphasis in discourse. (teehee^)
    fail: like that does me any good.