User Tag List

First 23456 Last

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    567?
    Socionics
    ILE

Failure - I let high social anxiety keep me from being myself for years (and am still doing it, though I'm now aware of the phenom and ready to do battle [lol, say "battle" in a English accent, overemphasizing the consonants, and the sentence that was supposed to be the most depressing of the post becomes the most humorous...])

Success - A tie between: Got 8th place for my paper in the National History Fair (after getting 1st in my county and state)/ sang the national anthem solo at graduation.
    ALL AROUND THE WORLD PEOPLE EATIN' GUMBO

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Ivy View Post
    Achievement: I charted my own educational course from a young age and started college at 14.

Failure: I started college at 14 and couldn't socialize with anyone. I learned how to make conversation in social situations from the internet.
    That's really interesting cos my daughter's home educated and yet she has more social activity this way than she ever did whilst sitting either on her own or hanging out with one or two friends at school... wasn't there any homeschool local groups or anything for you back then?
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Achievement: Doing well on IQ test at four and people thought I was going to be the next Einstein.

Failure: Instead of Einstein, I have become the next Animal House.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Mondo View Post
    Achievement: Doing well on IQ test at four and people thought I was going to be the next Einstein.

Failure: Instead of Einstein, I have become the next Animal House.
    Haha... I really relate to that!!!
    Ils se d�merdent, les mecs: trop bon, trop con..................................MY BLOG!

"When it all comes down to dust
    I will kill you if I must
    I will help you if I can" - Leonard Cohen

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by substitute View Post
    That's really interesting cos my daughter's home educated and yet she has more social activity this way than she ever did whilst sitting either on her own or hanging out with one or two friends at school... wasn't there any homeschool local groups or anything for you back then?
    No, this was back in the dark ages of the early 1990s. My mom was more of an unschooler than a school-at-home type, and the only other homeschoolers we knew of at that time were type-A religious fanatics. I had a couple of friends left from a private Quaker school I went to for a few years, but most of them had moved on into social networks at their own schools. I was a lonely teen and not well socialized.

It's definitely easier today. I certainly don't think home school necessarily results in a kid with social anxiety, but I do think if the parents don't make sure there are social outlets, it still could. It's also possible that kids with social anxiety are more likely to be miserable in regular school and be taken out for that reason, so the social anxiety predates the homeschooling. That most likely did play into my unusual schooling. I did fine in a small, intimate public elementary school but was overcome with anxiety when they tossed us in the huge middle school pool, which is one reason I was offered the option to homeschool or attend private school. (I first chose homeschool and later asked if the option to try private school was still available, which it was- I then spent 4 years in a Quaker private school, then went back to homeschool and soon after started taking classes at the university.)
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

Quote Originally Posted by The_Liquid_Laser View Post
    The most successful people are always intelligent, but the most intelligent people are not always successful.
    Sometimes people succeed out sheer dumb luck, with almost 7 billion people on the planet, 1-in-a-billion type luck-over-a-life-time should show up in a few lives.

EDIT:
    I guess I should address the OP.

My highs and lows have been fairly consistent, so it is hard to choose just one.

success:Landed a high paying high-tech job straight out of college, despite graduating right after the dot-com bust.
    failure:break-up of an engagement

Accept the past. Live for the present. Look forward to the future.
    Robot Fusion
    "As our island of knowledge grows, so does the shore of our ignorance." John Wheeler
    "[A] scientist looking at nonscientific problems is just as dumb as the next guy." Richard Feynman
    "[P]etabytes of [] data is not the same thing as understanding emergent mechanisms and structures." Jim Crutchfield

Glowy Goopy Goodness The_Liquid_Laser's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Sometimes people succeed out sheer dumb luck, with almost 7 billion people on the planet, 1-in-a-billion type luck-over-a-life-time should show up in a few lives.
    I suppose it depends on how you define "most successful". Some may consider our current US president to be among the most successful simply because of his office. On the other hand I would not consider him to be among the most successful compared to other presidents. Either way I don't think he's intelligent.
    My wife and I made a game to teach kids about nutrition. Please try our game and vote for us to win. (Voting period: July 14 - August 14)
    http://www.revoltingvegetables.com

MBTI
    yupp

success: Only been to the ER twice in my life.

failure: I'm on the verge of failing out/ I have no clue what I want to do with my life.
    In no likes experiment.

that is all

i dunno what else to say so

MBTI
    TIGR
    Enneagram
    3w4
    Socionics
    EII None

I've given this thread some thought and honestly I've achieved many things, and seriously can't think of any failures as I usually put much thought into my choices, avoiding failure. The things I've achieved aren't going to save the world so they're really not worth posting, but to me they are special.

edit: the failure thing. of course I've done things I'm not proud of but I just don't harp on them. I learn, move forward and never look back.

edit again: Night that avatar is so not you. Not that care what I think, it was just on my mind.
    Time is a delicate mistress.

MBTI
    ESTP
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Socionics
    SLE

Failure: It took me until my second year in college to realize the value of my education and the opportunity I'd been given (which, due to being spoiled, lazy, and mostly immature, I'd taken for granted and wasted up until that point).

Success: I pulled near perfect grades after that, and in combination with my high GRE score, was able to get into a good grad program in the field of my choice.
    Artes, Scientia, Veritasiness