Thread: Tarot Readings

MBTI
    intj
    Enneagram
    5w0 sx
    Socionics
    duno

Quote Originally Posted by Wind Up Rex View Post
    Hm. I know this was kind of an aside, but it makes me think of an article I came across not too long ago about simultaneity in distributed systems which talks about how the notion of a "moment" can be problematic from a purely mechanical standpoint. I mean the moment which is now and the moment that I'm perceiving as now are not in fact one in the same, and in the space where that lag occurs, who knows what kind of idiosyncratic transformations might occur as that moment is processed? And even if all I know is my own perspective, what becomes of the actuality of the moment if someone shares an alternative perspective with me?

Idk. I'm skeptical of the idea that I can know anything, but I'm pretty big on the thought that how I understand things is entirely up to me.
    imimpressed. youve come quite close to hiting on two very fun and fundamntal sayings. going to read up on your article. ive a bit morw time before bed
    Active, successful natures shun the dictum 'Know Thyself' and follow the commamdment 'Will Thyself' ~nietzsche

"Willing is the intj's evolutionary consequence of Knowing present and future as the everpresent livestream of yesterminute." ~reg~

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8 sp/sx

Fascinating; I know nothing about this sort of thing. So I was wondering whether you would give me a general read?
    “Brighter, now brighter, pay no mind to those who squint, burn with all your heat.”

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jaguar View Post
    Throw me a 5-card spread, baby. Tell me if the tower card comes up.

Hi.

So, the spread I got, had it been for just about anyone else I’d tell them to go duck for cover somewhere as there were a lot of Swords running around. But being a King of Swords kind of fellow in your own right it just seemed to fit altogether. :P

Anyways, getting on with it.

The story that’s told here is complicated. It’s not about a particular moment, but a kind of snapshot, I think. The four outside cards dance around the fifth, the reversed Ace of Swords, which feels like both the heart of the matter as well as the end result.

The first recollection is one of heartbreak. A disappointed expectation of support when none was to be found, and the pain of being a little less young as a result of it.

The second recollection is of arising from that pain with a dual purpose: mastery of self and empowerment of others. You drew together the seemingly incongruous qualities of intuition and logic through will to formulate reason, and gave other the benefit of it by being the midwife of their dreams. Or at least securing the space that would make dreaming possible.

Within is the storm. Agitation that constantly drives forward. The never fully resolved wound or maybe just the sensitivity of a mind that never learned how to switch off. But the sword is turned upwards either triumphantly or defiantly, the reversal making it appears as though the sky itself has been conquered. The clouds begin to part.
    And so long as you haven’t experienced this: to die and so to grow,
    you are only a troubled guest on the dark earth

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

So how do you decide which pattern to use?

And for your ten-card patterns, what's the numbering? I looked the celtic cross up online, for example, and while the staff to the right is typically 7-10 (bottom up), I've seen different numbering for the cluster around the 1&2 cards. Just curious what positions are assigned in your read -- or do you change it depending on what seems to make sense for a particular read, to get a cohesive picture?

Examples:

"Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Taslim View Post
    General reading please

You’re in a pretty good place right now. You recently came out of a really happy time that helped to bolster your confidence not only in yourself, but in the possibilities of life as well. You’re using this positive momentum to begin cultivating your interest more at this time. The idea of really going after what you want may be relatively new for you, but you’ve found it to be exciting and surprisingly rewarding so far. Going forward, you will continue to cultivate this trait in yourself, and will have the chance to empower others to do the same.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    So how do you decide which pattern to use?
    It's intuitive for me. I feel out the person and the nature of the question and go towards a spread an a deck that I feel will be most suited to responding to the sitter's needs.

And for your ten-card patterns, what's the numbering? I looked the celtic cross up online, for example, and while the staff to the right is typically 7-10 (bottom up), I've seen different numbering for the cluster around the 1&2 cards. Just curious what positions are assigned in your read -- or do you change it depending on what seems to make sense for a particular read, to get a cohesive picture?
    There's a couple of things I do when I'm looking at a spread. Tarot is highly narrative, and the goal of the reader is to be able to look at the cards, understand
    the story being told and relate it to the sitter in a way that hopefully leaves them better off than you found them.

Process-wise, the first step is just to understand on a high-level what's going on. For a CC spread, I'll work through the spread in order, card-by-card, to establish a general sense of what's going on. Sometimes this comes across crystal clear, but usually there's a piece here or there that doesn't quite line up, and requires a different interpretation of the cards preceding it or following than what was thought at first blush.

The third step is the synthesis. This is where the actual reading happens. Card reading is not a linear process, especially in a spread like the CC. There's multiple threads that are occurring simultaneously, but when you get into it you start to see that everything is pointing towards some common theme. I tend to interpret the cards more along the lines of the first template that you posted than the second, but I'm weird about direction as I tend to go where the cards pull me.

Generally speaking, though, I start with the middle cross (1&2) to understand what the situation and issue are. Then, I'll take a look at the card on the left side of the cross (which I interpret as recent past) to get a sense of how the person has handled the situation so far. Then I look at the vertical sweep of 5-3 to understand the headspace. I was taught to interpret the card at the bottom of the cross (3) as "within, or the inner motivation of the sitter, and the card at the top of the cross (5) as kind of like...mm... it's like a mix of what they're trying to accomplish will happen from their current vantage/what's the best they could hope for if they stay on their current trajectory. It's the ego perspective, in other words. The vertical sweep is important because it shows you how things can get wonky. Like, if what someone is feeling deep down is that they need some space, but you see a card like 3 of wands at the top of the vertical, then you know that somewhere along the way they're feeling some external pressure to be more social than might be good for them (and you can pick up on the source of that either from the cross itself or the card at position 8, which speaks to external influences).

The horizontal sweep (4-6) is kind of like the events that have already been set into motion by the vertical sweep + the cross. It's hard to really control these as there's a sort of karmatic quality to them. Like, this is what you did (4), this is where you are now as a result (1+2), and this is how this present set of circumstances will logically play out as a result (6). Things get interesting when you get to the staff of the CC (7-10). I read the card in position 7 as the "advice" card, and is the most vital part of the spread after the cross (1+2) itself. Position 8 is just like a heads up on what's going on around the sitter at that time before you get to the money shot at 9+10. 9+10 are the outcome cards and I usually read them together. 10 is usually a positive or negative thing depending on what you got from the cross, and so it's either like what you can expect of a warning. Like, if you don't get it together around card 7, then this is where you'll wind up. 9 is understood as "hopes and fears", and to me just sort adds an extra perspective to 10.

Either way, there's some structure to a read, but it's genuinely more art than science. I think it mostly comes down to trying to keep your own baggage out of it and just be as true to the information you're receiving you can be.
    Likes Totenkindly, N/A liked this post

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    853 sx/sp

OMG I'M ALMOST CAUGHT UP!!!

Likes Xann liked this post

Hi.

So, the spread I got, had it been for just about anyone else I’d tell them to go duck for cover somewhere as there were a lot of Swords running around. But being a King of Swords kind of fellow in your own right it just seemed to fit altogether. :P

Anyways, getting on with it.

The story that’s told here is complicated. It’s not about a particular moment, but a kind of snapshot, I think. The four outside cards dance around the fifth, the reversed Ace of Swords, which feels like both the heart of the matter as well as the end result.

The first recollection is one of heartbreak. A disappointed expectation of support when none was to be found, and the pain of being a little less young as a result of it.

The second recollection is of arising from that pain with a dual purpose: mastery of self and empowerment of others. You drew together the seemingly incongruous qualities of intuition and logic through will to formulate reason, and gave other the benefit of it by being the midwife of their dreams. Or at least securing the space that would make dreaming possible.

Within is the storm. Agitation that constantly drives forward. The never fully resolved wound or maybe just the sensitivity of a mind that never learned how to switch off. But the sword is turned upwards either triumphantly or defiantly, the reversal making it appears as though the sky itself has been conquered. The clouds begin to part.
    Thanks, Rexy. Swords it is.
    Likes Wind Up Rex liked this post

MBTI
    isfj

Interesting. I'd like to start with general reading. Thanks!

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

I'm starting to think I might have done the forum a bigger favor by offering a remedial reading comprehension course for NTPs.
    Reading Comprehension? Actually reading the opening post in a thread and writing an earnest, thought-provoking post that moves the discussion forward and presents actual value, as opposed to rapid fire, half-assed posts that only vaguely relate to the topic at hand?

Likes Hawthorne liked this post